IGNORED

Something I didn't realize I could do with physical games

eightbit

I realized tonight that if a physical game is inserted and you press the "+" button you can redeem eShop points. I guess this depends on the title, but I redeemed 60 points for Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and another 60 for Odyssey. Might be something people already know, but I didn't. Pretty cool. I'll have to pop in all of my physical releases this weekend and redeem what I can. See how many Neo Geo titles I can score with the proceeds ;)

• Like 3

Good question. I purchased bayoneta 2 which came with the bayonetta 1 code. I received 150 points for redeeming the code. I wonder if I will also get points for the bayonetta 2 game card. I will have to try that later. Double game double points?

This is how you update games too.

How do you like Tropical Freeze? I would love to get it but $60 is a bit steep (used to have it on WiiU).

It's a good game. I never purchased the wii u version so it's new to me. Good classic DKC :)

And I paid $48 for it on launch. I cannot recommend the Best Buy gamers club enough.

Edited by eightbit

This is how you update games too.

How do you like Tropical Freeze? I would love to get it but $60 is a bit steep (used to have it on WiiU).

I enjoy Tropical Freeze but I have it on Wii U and CAN NOT bring myself to pay $60 for it (or just about anything these days.) When I see it as a Nintendo Select someday i'll happily drop $20 for it.

I wish I had a lot of points, I mean I do for the silver level stuff, but the gold that actually buys stuff like DK game I have very little as Nintendo only gives like 10-20% coin value for physical vs digital buys. I don't mind though, keeps me more focused on what I do have. :D

I had TF on my WiiU, last game I had too, so I never got more than like a couple worlds into it as i was so turned off/demotivated by then once the system croaked on that major firmware update I just packed it in and sold it.

I ran through all of my physical games this weekend and collected almost $20 in eshop credit. At least its something :) While doing all of this I found some more interesting information:

1. You cannot take the physical game card that you redeemed coins from and redeem them again on a different switch. Not that I was trying to rip off Nintendo or anything, but I was just curious to see if something is done to the actual game card after redeeming the points. Yes indeed. Something is secretly written to the game card to mark the points as redeemed. I tried a couple of titles in my daughters switch (who never played these titles previously) and they all gave the message that the points were already redeemed. Interesting.

2. Japanese and European imports CAN be updated on a USA account. I have a few imports and they all allowed game updates. I guess if the game is in the eShop it will update...even if it is a physical imported game card. That's cool as I suspected I would have needed to sign up for a Europe or Japan eShop account to get the updates for these games. But not so. Happy about that!

• Like 1

Wow $20 is quite a bit. It took me a year to get less than $2.

I ended up ordering DKC this morning. I got it for over $10 less than buying it in store. I woke up today thinking about the game and decided I didn't want to wait anymore if I could get it for a good price.

• Like 1

Whichever method you choose to buy it, it is a pretty good buy. I have always been a fan of the DKC series (I used to have all of the SNES releases....and even the DKC Competition cart!) and this game sticks to the tried and true formula.

Yeah, $20 is a lot, but that is only because I have amassed a pretty large physical collection at this point. I am moving soon, so I have been selling big/heavy things and turning some of the funds into little manageable things (aka: Switch physical releases) and it has worked out pretty well. I am probably at close to 60 titles now....with some pre-order stuff coming in the future. Even with that, all of these would fit into a small box and take up such a tiny footprint (one small 3FT shelf). Lots of great games in here too...and a few physical Euro only releases. And, if the game resides in the eShop (they all do) the import physical release not only updates but you can collect eShop credit on them as well. That was unexpected but certainly appreciated!