IGNORED

CHI Friday - Companion gathering to Chicago TI World Faire

OLD CS1

So, as I understand it, the Chicago Faire will NOT be at the Evanston Library but at one of the hotels and run from Thursday through Sunday. What does Hal say about this? Is he still in the picture? I haven't seen any input from him or Vic about these recent arrangements. Let me know when there is something a bit more concrete.

No, you misunderstand.

What I have secured is NOT the Faire. It is a ancillary event held as companion to the Faire, with the hopes that it might be eventually be given its blessing to be an official part of the Faire. Per my previous message:

Also, this is obviously NOT an official CTIUG joint and I do not want it to be confused as such -- this is an extra event to provide a gather of people to participate in activities which do not otherwise jive with the normal schedule of the Faire. I would love nothing more than to hand it over next year to be included in the official Faire schedule.

The room block I have secured, however, is available to all Faire attendees who wish to take advantage of the group rate, and this extra day event is, of course, open to all.

It is absolutely NOT my intention to undermine CTIUG, Hal, or the Faire.

• Like 1

As I understand this, it's a secondary event which is in ADDITION to the Faire, designed to help facilitate people who have a desire to come, but can't justify a one-day trip.

This will have a three-fold effect, in that it will give folks who come some additional TI fun as well as actually potentially having the effect of increasing the attendance for the Faire as a whole if it attracts those who would not normally come to a one day event but would consider coming for a multi-day event (or multiple events on multiple days in this case.). The third benefit is that Faire attendees will all have access to a cheaper block room rate if they choose to come to Chicago.

It's a win-win.....win.

• Like 3

Alan,

Not able to commit at this point in time. More than likely, it will be sometime in October before I can commit. I'm really wanting to make it up there, but I have to see what my deer hunting options are first.

Beery

• Like 1

I am leaning toward the Hilton Garden Inn if only because the event staff is actually on-site which is very important should we need anything. The coordinator for the Evanston Holiday Inn is no longer with the company and speaking with people on-site it seems no one there really knows what is going on. While that could change in the next six months it leaves me lacking in confidence being I have to make a decision with the information at-hand. From my perspective and event experience this is troubling and worth the extra $75 to have someone right there should anything arise.

Perhaps next year if the Holiday Inn has a stable staff we can try there to compare, but I really feel this year our best interest is elsewhere.

I am leaning toward the Hilton Garden Inn if only because the event staff is actually on-site which is very important should we need anything. The coordinator for the Evanston Holiday Inn is no longer with the company and speaking with people on-site it seems no one there really knows what is going on. While that could change in the next six months it leaves me lacking in confidence being I have to make a decision with the information at-hand. From my perspective and event experience this is troubling and worth the extra $75 to have someone right there should anything arise.

Perhaps next year if the Holiday Inn has a stable staff we can try there to compare, but I really feel this year our best interest is elsewhere.

Works for me.

Okay, contract is executing. We have the conference room at the Hilton Garden Inn on Friday, November 9, from 8am until 11pm.

To contribute to the conference room, slam your mouse right here. (Disclaimer: I am not responsible for broken mouses or screens.)

ANY Faire attendee may book a room in the group for the group rate of $132 per night plus taxes. This is a king room for double-occupancy, includes breakfast for up to two people, and parking. Alternate arrangements depending upon availability (i.e. two doubles.)

I will have a booking link in the next couple of days.

ONCE AGAIN: THE FRIDAY GATHERING IS NEITHER PART OF NOR AN OFFICIAL EVENT OF THE CHICAGO INTERNATIONAL WORLD FAIRE BUT IS A COMPANION EVENT THE DAY PRIOR.

• Like 2

Since I was asked, that link sets the amount at $25. I believe we will be able to get to the $250+tax with just that per person, but if you would like to contribute more you can change the amount at the payment screen by clicking on the amount.

Anything above the $25 is greatly appreciated. I was considering putting funds above the room fee toward getting us snacks or food.

• Like 2

Alan,

I have spoken with Vic Steerup (CTIUG President) and he seems to be enthusiastic about this development. He sees it as a chance to turn the Faire into a mini-convention and that is something that appeals to him greatly. Appeals to me too.

He will be discussing this with Hal this week, since Hal is the Faire Chairman, and will get back to me when he can. Incorporating this second day into the Faire infrastructure may indeed be feasible going forward.

For me personally, I am grateful for your effort in facilitating this and also happy there seems to be a positive response from others and a good level of early commitment.

Who knows what this will end up being in the future, but I'm just glad that it is "being" for the now.

Gracias!!!

• Like 5

Hi, I also welcome that step and want to thank you for those efforts. Including the goal to not undermine the original event and that efforts.

It definately gives a trip to Chicago more TI depth.

Personally I am facing a situation where my wife and me will be living from my income for the next two years, so she is able to return to school and do her certificates.

So I can not tell yet how affordable a trip is for me. At the moment I am rather pessimistic, but indeed tempted.

Did you double check on the Faire Date?

Since I was asked, that link sets the amount at $25. I believe we will be able to get to the $250+tax with just that per person, but if you would like to contribute more you can change the amount at the payment screen by clicking on the amount.

Anything above the $25 is greatly appreciated. I was considering putting funds above the room fee toward getting us snacks or food.

I have no problem contributing more for extras, but I'm not a fan of providing edibles out of the funds. We each have out own preference for what constitutes a snack and there is the additional risk of unexpected allergies and such. My preference would be to have attendees provide their own food based on their needs. What about additional supplies needed to run the gathering (power extensions, cabling etc...)?

I discussed power options with the on-site coordinator but there is nothing in the contract. We have a few months to sort all that out. I usually bring my own power equipment but I can see where that is not practical for everyone. I am looking into what is available on-site.

I am also toying with PayPal "Pools." This apparently works on a pledge basis so money is not drawn from contributors until the pool reaches its goal or the pool is used (pools can be goal-less.) Since I used my PayPal debit card to reserve the room I need to more information on how this works before I start using it. This way I can set a specific goal and I do not have to be concerned about overages.

So far people have chipped in $130 which is awesome. Thank you all!

I'm local-ish. I would be happy to loan any and all gear required to do demos and whatnot if folks needed stuff.

I have PEBs, CF7, cables, extension cords, consoles, a suitable composite or VGA monitor, power strips, cartridges, diskettes, and a ton of other stuff.

I can "bring the house" as they say.

• Like 2

Excellent, thank you! Right now the Friday event is a little less than gelatinous, it is actually just an empty room. I am hoping to have groups coalesce during the lead-up to November and tables and areas can start to be organized.

I have a lot of thoughts about how the CHI Friday (I still like CTI Friday, too :)) activities could lead into great stuff for the Faire. For instance, the 99/2 hacking currently in progress might benefit from having everyone in one room, and a breakthrough with the endeavors could lead to a fantastic presentation on Saturday. Or if Walid had more of his TI-to-real-world (which I hereby dub Vorticon's TI-IRL... wait, I can do better...) projects to work on -- one year it was a robot, another year it was race cars, this year I think he can launch a rocket!

In any case, we have plenty of room. I am not expecting to over-lord this event and enforce any kind of mass participation or schedule beyond the open and close of the room. I am certain the various interests can and will coalesce naturally.

• Like 1

I'll have my projector available. I also can bring a projection screen if the room does not have one.

I do have an interfacing project in mind for this year, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to pull it off yet. We'll see :) I could also give a brief primer on parallel port interfacing for those interested.

• Like 1

I updated the contribution link above to point to the PayPal Pool for the event.

CHI Friday PayPal Pool

I have it set to not publicly show who has contributed, but it does show I have chipped in $155 as that is what has been sent to me directly. Unlike the direct PayPal.me link I cannot set a default amount to contribute. I was asking $25, but any amount under or over is appreciated by all.

The pool's goal is set for $305, $250 room plus 22% tax, with no closing date. Woo hoo!

• Like 1