IGNORED

Limited editions / Steelbox / Collectors editions ....etc

eightbit

Am I the only one NOT into these? The collectors editions I have been seeing for the Switch are cool and all, but I really don't need a cloth map, a CD soundtrack, a Bluray, keychains, figures, candy...whatever. I personally am just after the game. These collectors editions are usually pretty darn expensive obviously (being limited in numbers usually) and sell for some serious coin in many cases.

I have to believe that these are *mostly* a reseller thing. People buying to resell some limited set for profit to someone who wants to have the bragging rights that they own #X of #XXX.

Or do you buy them because you really want all of that fluff? Just curious what the drive is in this (if not for money) as it's just some extra junk in my eyes. I mean, if I were a BIG fan of a certain title I would look at all that swag as cool (like the stuff that came with Wonderboy The Dragons Trap...which I love to no end)....but maybe I am missing something regarding these collections. Chime in!

I don't care for the stuff at all, but I have ended up with a few from Nicalis due to either the 20% off prime deal, or buying second hand on ebay which is less than both prime and regular retail. To me it's a pile of useless garbage other than the printed manual which are fun to read and see the art and story for the game. To me like you it is a reseller thing, fake rarity just to get people ginned up to pay more money for a few dollars worth of fluff at best when those perks come at an increased cost. I've twice paid up in full on stuff like that back on the PS3 with SF4 and Uncharted 3 and regretted both entirely. The stuff just sat on display never used so they got dumped wasting my space.

The one exception to all that there, is if the added stuff has no added price increase with the game either first hand or first right of sale (after market used.) If I can get some extras and it costs me nothing, then I'm not invested in it so I don't care. :D

It's like anything else. If the extras are cool I'd buy it, but not because it's limited or anything. I've always like maps, art books, and good manuals. Things that make the world more real or teach me more about it. I'm not overly interested in extra doodads.

I like these... if they are worthwhile. It's also worth investing the extra if you really like/love/enjoy the game as a way to support a company for doing a great job.

Honestly, I remember when you used to get the steelbook / limited edition as a freebie for just preordering rather than regular ordering. Steelbooks are one of my favorite bonuses, but nobody really does steelbooks anymore. (Or at least fewer releases) It's either that or they do it but it's like $10-20 extra just to get that. Screw dat nonsense!

The last one I got that did this was Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. You got the regular plastic case and a bitchin steelbook as well.

It's pretty nice looking! The original cover is classier though...

254777-full.jpeg

257506-ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-the-white-wit

Edited by KeeperofLindblum

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on the game.... has to be a series I am really into, and a sound track is one that usually pulls me in. I can do without most of the cloth maps, figurines, etc though.

I don't think these collectors editions are so limited as much as they used to be though. The above game had some sort of Wizard edition which was release in small numbers and goes for high prices. The collectors edition for the 2nd game for the PS4 is still easy to find and sells for a bit less than retail generally.

Our local chain sometimes has these editions cheap (as long as it wasn't a low print run) once interest is gone.

Point is... these days, never buy these limited editions and hope to turn a profit. Only get them if you want the stuff. I think they are more mass produced now. Maybe in twenty years, it might be worth something, but at the age most of us are at, we might not give a hoot as we are buried with crap as it is.

• Like 1

That's my thing. I don't want to be buried with crap anymore. I have been there, done that....for decades. I have decided to keep physically collecting for the Switch, but not the CE variants with big steelbox cases and extra junk. Just the physical game in case is just fine. The cases for these games are so low profile anyway that even if you had a few hundred games it is not going to take up more than a small bookcase. I have such a bookcase that is only around three feet wide and I have around 60 physical titles in it....and that is just one of the five shelves in the thing. When I have to pack up and move (soon) the whole collection (games and system) is going to fit into one small manageable moving box. I am more than cool with that.

Twenty years ago I didn't care about space at all...I had tons of space. Now the cost of living (if you do not own a house and rent as I do) has pretty much changed all of that.

I like cool loot, maps, figures or whatever. But I'm far more likely to get a more complete game of the year version, cause most collector stuff doesn't really interest me.

That is a good point. You can save some money for the game itself as most the DLC is included in those editions.

I like these... if they are worthwhile. It's also worth investing the extra if you really like/love/enjoy the game as a way to support a company for doing a great job.

Honestly, I remember when you used to get the steelbook / limited edition as a freebie for just preordering rather than regular ordering. Steelbooks are one of my favorite bonuses, but nobody really does steelbooks anymore. (Or at least fewer releases) It's either that or they do it but it's like $10-20 extra just to get that. Screw dat nonsense!

The last one I got that did this was Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. You got the regular plastic case and a bitchin steelbook as well.

It's pretty nice looking! The original cover is classier though...

254777-full.jpeg

257506-ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-the-white-wit

See I pre-ordered the collectors edition and was lucky enough to actually get it! When I saw how much they were actually selling for later, I decided to NOT open my Wizard's edition of the game and bought a standard copy instead to play. However, that was after the preorder timeframe so I did miss out on the steelbook case for it.

I didn't make that same mistake with Ni No Kuni II...hehe.

To get back on topic, I will frequently buy these special editions depending on what they have. Examples are things like the Little Big Planet 2 special edition with the cool book ends. Or my pip-boy edition of Fallout 4...stuff like that. I'm interested in them especially if they contain OSTs. I didn't get the super expensive Ni No Kuni II collectors edition, just the premium edition that came with the steelbook case, standard case, OST, and the 3D paper craft. Not cheap, but still under $100 and that was a good deal to me.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-
  • Like 1