IGNORED

1995-1998 Genesis games

SlidellMan

1995 was the year of the wrestling and sports games for me on the Genesis.

NBA Live '96 was a game a few buddies and I played constantly after school. This would been late Junior High years.

The end of my Genesis gaming but still a lot of communal type gaming with friends after school.

I think our discussions had turn more sinister too when thinking back the communal NES style of gaming that took place in grade school.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mega Man X3, Bootleg edition

I commend whoever ported this, but the SNES version is still better.

I have seen some negative comments about this port and a youtube video that really tears into it. There is a thread on the Sega-16 forum where someone seems to be working on a superior port of this game to the Genesis/MD. I don't know when or if the improved port will be finished or if it will even end up on cartridge. Hopefully it will. Until then, I will avoid this port in the hope that a far better version will be available some day.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Spiderman and World Series Baseball are seriously broken. Absolutely unfinished. There is fun to be found in them despite how broken and unfinished they are but there is no reason to own them or want to.

X-Perts, an Eternal Champions spinoff that combines tactical strategy and adventure game elements with a brawler core, is another terribly unfinished game with tragically great potential.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2018 at 5:22 AM, Jess Ragan said:

The Majesco port of Frogger was a pleasant surprise. It was coded to be as close to the arcade game as possible, and man is it close!

Yeah, this is my go-to for Frogger these days, and it's my only cart from this era, although I don't know why I never picked up Vectorman. I do like Zoop, but I thought was supposed to be better on the Suoer Nintendo. The rest are meh. (Never played Batman and Robin. Is it any good? I know it's different on the SNES and Genesis.)

The Super Nintendo had the better late library, in my opinion, with Chrono Trigger, Donkey Kong Country 2, and Kirby's Dream Course being three excellent games. If you move outside the US library, you also get Terranigma and Seiken Densetsu 3.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/14/2018 at 10:41 AM, Professor Gull said:

So thinking on this I know I own 2 games from that era that have not been mentioned yet.

Minnesota Fats - really its side pocket redone.

Minnesota Fats: Pool Legend is a *WAY* better game than Side Pocket (and I love Side Pocket).
I feel like most people never give it a fair chance due to the license, but the physics were massively improved. Easily one of the best games pool games ever made.
IIRC, it also runs smoother than Side Pocket; especially when you hit the opening shot.

Edited by Barone
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

The cover art for Frogger would have you believe it's a port of the reimagined PlayStation/PC version that came out around that time. That actually might have been pretty cool! 

It doesn't seem like a bad game (I haven't played it), but the content is awfully lean for a console of the Genesis' stature. That cheap Game Boy-looking title screen is off-putting, though. 

2 hours ago, SlidellMan said:

@BassGuitari Agreed, and Majesco, Hasbro, and Konami should have thrown in Time Pilot, Gyruss, and Pooyan for good measure. Oh, and @Tanooki, Nintendo considered ending the US Super NES's commercial life with Kirby's Super Star Stacker, but declined.

Yeah I know and I've been disappointed in them ever since when I remember that fact.  I wanted both versions, at least the GB one made it (and I do have it currently.)  I've considered the SFC release but well...trolls, last I looked at least.  Kirby since that era in particular seemingly has made Kirby this two point assault of the mid/later life game, and then something of a near if not final send off.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 11:44 PM, SlidellMan said:

Sega Lord X on the final Genesis release:

Not bad by any means, but Sega of America should have ended the system on a much higher note.

Funny how back then 90's gamers complained about the "old" graphics while current retrogamers would call it A Good Thing!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I always felt like the Genesis ended on a high note with the best home conversion to date of one of the most iconic classics from the golden age of arcade gaming.

My only regret was picking the Super Nintendo version back in the day when these came out. I was completely unaware of the differences and ended up with the lousy half finished remake on the SNES (Frogger with no music isn't a finished effort).

Instead of the typical rubbish that wraps up releases on a successful and long lived platform, this one actually is a winner that's well worth playing out. Especially when it's at a community named AtariAge, it boggles the mind to see anyone taking issue with this one.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...