IGNORED

Mateos cart thoughts? (Podcast help. :) )

Dauber

I asked anyone, and it provided accordingly...

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=36226785872827170928

;)

Thanks a lot! to you and to anyone :lol:

PS: I have just e-mailed Juan in order to get the multi-cart; good news are I think we live in the same city and maybe the wait will be shorter! ;)

Edited by apalomares

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Anybody with a Mateos....I just got one (lucky ebay) and cut a cart for it. Ace of Aces was on a slot when I popped it in. However, the Atari logo "bleeds" from the right hand side, and when Ace of Aces loads, it looks weird. It doesn't roll, per se, like a PAL game would, and the colors look OK. But it's distorted. Any idea why this might be?

I haven't even gotten to loading a game on myself yet as it didn't come with the cord needed, but that should be an easy purchase I hope.

I actually (unfortunately) ended up tossing mine. I couldn't get a singe game to load, no matter what I did (and I have experience with these kind of things, so I'm not a noob at this). No switch settings, hardware settings, file extension rename, nothing worked. Just got the TIA 'stuck' (i.e. random vertical bars) screen no matter what I did. I followed every instruction on here, in case I did do something wrong... Nothing.

Luckily I have CPUWIZ's development cart, which is awesome... and it's a good thing because my cuttle cart II died a *long* time ago.

Edited by PacManPlus

I actually (unfortunately) ended up tossing mine. I couldn't get a singe game to load, no matter what I did (and I have experience with these kind of things, so I'm not a noob at this). No switch settings, hardware settings, file extension rename, nothing worked. Just got the TIA 'stuck' (i.e. random vertical bars) screen no matter what I did. I followed every instruction on here, in case I did do something wrong... Nothing.

Luckily I have CPUWIZ's development cart, which is awesome... and it's a good thing because my cuttle cart II died a *long* time ago.

That's unfortunate and I wish you could have sent it someone else to at least confirm if all traces etc on the PCB were good to go where they needed to be. Mine is still working as I was loading up your WIP builds of Baby Pac to play and continue to curse how much I suck at playing pac-man maze games still to this day LOL.

Just got the TIA 'stuck' (i.e. random vertical bars) screen no matter what I did. I followed every instruction on here, in case I did do something wrong... Nothing.

Games work on mine, until they don't, and then I get this as well. I'll be in the middle of a game, and then it will freeze, and all I get from any of the slots are what you describe.

I was going to send it to Juan in hopes that maybe this would be fixed with a later revision (I have an early version of the cart), but I didn't get around to it, and it looks like he hasn't been around in a while.

GoldenWheels, can you post a screenshot? From your description it doesn't sound to me like it's the cart at fault but I'm not sure. Is there anything else on it that you can try? A brand new one will have both PAL and NTSC games preloaded for testing and it may be that done some of those are still there.

GoldenWheels, can you post a screenshot? From your description it doesn't sound to me like it's the cart at fault but I'm not sure. Is there anything else on it that you can try? A brand new one will have both PAL and NTSC games preloaded for testing and it may be that done some of those are still there.

Will do when I get home, at work now. All my games work just fine on this 7800 so if it's not the cart itself, maybe this is a PAL rom thing. Pics to come.

Yep, I've had 2 go the same way. Won't be buying another.

I do not have any alternative, so am waiting patiently for the Concerto's final bugs to be eliminated. Hopefully it will then be released into the wild...

I don't think you CAN get another -- Juan hasn't been responding to e-mails. Usually it'd take him a while in the first place, but now it seems as if he dropped off the face of the earth. :( FWIW, he did send me a replacement when my first one went bad. But I liked mine so much I actually bought a second one so I wouldn't have to keep wiping it out...

But from what I can tell from mine, those things are pretty touchy. You have to have them in JUST right.

Also, newer versions of operating systems can play hell on the transfers. I know Windows 10 users have issues with it, and I've found that the most recent three Mac operating systems aren't friendly with it -- to load ROMs on mine I actually have to boot into the recovery partition and run the terminal in recovery mode, or else the system puts something on the drive that refuses to come off.

I'm also not sure that NOT having them a cart case to cover them as much as possible is helping them either with ESD as a possibility. It was one of the main reasons I took the daughter board off mine and then soldered it all directly together. It fit into a standard 7800 case with minor dremel work required and all but the very top of the cart are covered now.

Cart position does seem to matter, but the distortion always starts on the right hand side no matter what, and it will vary but never go away. I can clean the contacts; will try that next. I didn't bother before putting it in the cart. EDIT: Contacts needed a LITTLE cleaning, but it didn't help.

But this looks more like video issues, like when your RF is janky almost. This is an AV modded 7800, which plays all my stock games crystal clear.

I'm no expert but from those photos I wouldn't think it's an issue with the cart itself because behind the distortion the game is clearly running correctly and with the correct colours. Given you say it works fine with stock games my hypothesis would be that the cartridge is acting as an aerial for background radiation, giving it a direct line into your 7800, and given your 7800 is modded maybe there are a couple of points on the mod picking up that interference.

I guess if it were me I'd try switching off / unplugging as many electrical devices in the vicinity as I could to see if it made any difference.

I'm no expert but from those photos I wouldn't think it's an issue with the cart itself because behind the distortion the game is clearly running correctly and with the correct colours. Given you say it works fine with stock games my hypothesis would be that the cartridge is acting as an aerial for background radiation, giving it a direct line into your 7800, and given your 7800 is modded maybe there are a couple of points on the mod picking up that interference.

I guess if it were me I'd try switching off / unplugging as many electrical devices in the vicinity as I could to see if it made any difference.

I've only got my TV on, and the 7800, unless it is picking up the upstairs. I am running the 7800 through an AV switch but again, that works fine for normal games.

Maybe I'll try it on my stock 7800 later, on another TV. Just start changing variables and see what happens!

I did find Choplifter on the cart as well...which looks better somehow but still has lots of video "busyness".

I dunno if this thing is long for my possession anyway, Bob had problems with his, pointing out he isn't a noob, and I am a noob. If anyone wants to trade a 7800 30th Anniversary Cart Vol 1 for it, I may be up for that later!