IGNORED

Switch box between SM125 and SC1224 monitors

Hello Guys

Total Newbie here.

I used an ST520FM for music sequencing at college in the early/mid 90's. I had it upgraded to 4mB and was running Cubase Score 3.0 at the time.

I had an aftermarket hi res mono monitor but stupidly I binned it when the missus wanted a clearout a few years ago, bah!!

Recently decorated the small bedroom and turned it into a mancave with all of my guitars and keyboards and recording gear and sets of golf clubs with a 40 inch TV on the wall (amazed that she agreed to it but there you go!)

I have bought and SM125 and SC1224 monitors along with a 200mB hard drive.

My primary function is to use the ST for music sequencing but I would also like to get into gaming after watching that Dara O'Brien show.

What I would like if somebody could help me out here please? I wish to know if there is a commercially available switch box for switching between the two monitors without having to unplug and reboot.

I have scoured the web to no avail.

I know that the mono and colour monitors use different frequencies, but they both work fine individually with the 520

All it is, is just a box with inputs for both monitors and an output to the ST, using the circular 13 pin din.

This is something like what I am looking for

If anybody can help I would really appreciate it :-)

Cheers guys

Steve

post-64564-0-14745600-1525327838.jpg

i believe i have one just like pictured stored somewhere,,,,

Next question. Can you find it and how much do you want?

Love your country by the way, my dream retirement would be a villa and a little yacht by the sea and the Albufeira marina.

Just need to win the lottery first ! :-)

Thanks anzac

Steve :-)

Sure, I can look for it, just need some time because atm everything is packed in boxes and not where I’m living right now.

However, I saw something on eBay that might fit your needs and it’s located in the US:

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Talon-Omnisync-switch-box-for-Atari-ST-Multisync-Monitor-monochrom-RGB-RARE-HTF/263633445696?hash=item3d61c72340:g:dWkAAOSw7gZa39Ja

Hope this helps as I don’t know what your urgency is...

Thanks for the nice comments about Portugal :)

Wouldn’t mind visiting the US myself....

Best regards

• Like 1

Sure, I can look for it, just need some time because atm everything is packed in boxes and not where I’m living right now.

However, I saw something on eBay that might fit your needs and it’s located in the US:

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Talon-Omnisync-switch-box-for-Atari-ST-Multisync-Monitor-monochrom-RGB-RARE-HTF/263633445696?hash=item3d61c72340:g:dWkAAOSw7gZa39Ja

Hope this helps as I don’t know what your urgency is...

Thanks for the nice comments about Portugal :)

Wouldn’t mind visiting the US myself....

Best regards

My urgency is not that much anzac, it is an ongoing project. All of the outboard gear is set up perfectly now, in place and powered up. Mostly analogue with exception of an Alesis ADAT, remember them ? I just want to stay true to my analogue recording roots from my time studying music production the mid 1990's. I hate the modern Protools systems, horrible generic digital crap system that completely squashes your dynamic range and EQ options. For lazy music producers with very little talent, that is why all music singles sound the same these days with no expression sadly :-(

This is proper music production IMVHO

Anyway sorry, rant over :-)

I just now need to wire up my gear with the appropriate MIDI leads. I want to get the best quality cables so probably looking at about 400 GBP with amount of stuff I have.

The adaptor on ebay comes to about $80 (about £60) with the shipping and import fees, too much, but thanks for the link anyway :-)

I would not bother with the US if I were you sir, it is full of Americans, why go there when you have the most beautiful coastlines in the world? LOL!

I am from Newcastle upon Tyne in the north east of England, very pleasant weather right now but freezes your bollocks off in Winter, haha

I can jump on an EasyJet at 10am and touch down at Faro by lunchtime :-) :-)

Have a look when you get time, but no worries. I might just get one purpose built.

Muito obrigado pela sua ajuda Anzac. Talvez pudéssemos nos encontrar para uma cerveja na próxima vez que eu visitar Portugal.Com os melhores cumprimentos.

Muito obrigado pela sua ajuda Anzac. Talvez pudéssemos nos encontrar para uma cerveja na próxima vez que eu visitar Portugal. Com os melhores cumprimentos Steve

• Like 1

Hi Steve, sorry, in the middle of many things I got the impression you were from the US, hence my suggestion of a “local” switch that I thought would be closer to you. Sorry, my mistake. I will look for mine in the coming days, have to locate more stuff so I’ll just add it to the list.

As for visiting the US, yeah, there are places I would not go, but it’s a big country with many interesting things to check.

I’ve been in the UK several times :)

My first time in London was in the early 90s and my latest last year.

Hated this last time, too many cameras, police, barriers, etc...

I’m quite a way from Faro as I’m in the northern part of the country, but I’ll sure drink that beer with you

• Like 1

Hi Steve, sorry, in the middle of many things I got the impression you were from the US, hence my suggestion of a “local” switch that I thought would be closer to you. Sorry, my mistake. I will look for mine in the coming days, have to locate more stuff so I’ll just add it to the list.

As for visiting the US, yeah, there are places I would not go, but it’s a big country with many interesting things to check.

I’ve been in the UK several times :)

My first time in London was in the early 90s and my latest last year.

Hated this last time, too many cameras, police, barriers, etc...

I’m quite a way from Faro as I’m in the northern part of the country, but I’ll sure drink that beer with you

No worries man

Know what you mean about London :-(

This is my city

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/16/Newcastle_Quayside_with_bridges.jpg/1024px-Newcastle_Quayside_with_bridges.jpg

• 4 months later...

ST Monitor switchboxes were quite popular back in the days. The most popular (in the US at least) was Practical Solutions' Monitor Master. There were a bunch of others like the Astra, Talon, etc, and I am sure looking through old ST Formats and such, you'll find major ST retailers selling this and other switch boxes.

However, as for today...I don't know anyone who sells them. Seems like these days, everyone is using old VGA monitors that can sync down to 15KHz for color stuff.

If you're handy with the soldering iron, you could make your own. Plans should be easily found on the web as I remember seeing it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had one back in the 80s.... Probably still do, as I do not remember selling it, just have no idea where in the hell I put it. I am currently without an ST, but I do have a 21" NEX CRT Multisync sitting here waiting to attach an ST too. Even have a gloppy emulator ready to go. :)

• Like 1

• 9 months later...