IGNORED

Releasing roms to legally buy (from Jaguar SD Cart thread)

juansolo

From the Jaguar SD Cart thread a discussion started up about the legal sale of Jaguar ROMs. Someone suggested this be taken to a new thread… So here it is.

Personally I would welcome this. I want to encourage the authors to continue making and porting cool stuff to these old systems. Where possible I buy them, however that’s not always possible for several reasons.

Limited availability / price gouging - It happens, I’ve missed out on a couple of things I’ve really wanted. I’ve even got in touch with the author about one and though he had a few PCBs left, wasn’t prepared to sell me one that wasn’t the full package. Leaving me high and dry. When copies of that particular game have appeared on eBay, they’ve sold for over $200 which is stupid. None of that money is going to the author, just to the gouger who had the foresight to buy multiple copies. When you just actually want to play the game, that smarts a little.

Cost of import - Rebooteroids is comfortably the most expensive game I've ever bought. I don’t think the AtariAge price was unreasonable. But once you add postage, our import duty and our post office handling charges, it was over £90 ($130).

Convenience - I class myself as a gamer rather than a collector. Most of my cartridge based consoles have some sort of flash card in them despite me owning an absolute shed-load of games. This is purely down to convenience.

Spreading the love - Because of the above reasons, for me, a way of legitimately buying roms would be really bloody useful. I want to see the authors get paid for their work, not the price gougers.

The one thing against this is of course the fear of the roms getting out there. Which is a legitimate risk. Again for someone like me, sometimes that works in reverse. It allowed me to play Space Rocks and Star Castle Arcade on the 2600 before I bought the carts from Atari Age. I’ve got Draconian as a rom, and will buy that when it’s available as a bare cart. But I have to wait because currently Draconian is only available in the full boxed version, also bundling more carts in the order cuts down on how hard I get hit by import charges.

• Like 2

Could a game not be sold to a user but tied to the JAG SD interface by hwinfo or serial no or something ??

I don't usualy an advocate of anything like DRM but in the case of this commuity and what appears to be wholesale theft and profiteering from other peoples hard work by certain tuckfards i'm all for it.

• Like 2

On a similar spin to sh3.. if the SD device can be detected in some manner, allow freely released ROMs to be locked to only run on SD/Skunk, but not run if burnt to a physical cart. If a ROM is freely released that's cool... if people start putting these on carts and selling them as 'repro' or whatever, that's a bit crappy. It already happens with games being sold on CD that are freely released by their authors.

Of course if someone wants to release something and does not care if someone else is selling carts of it, that's obviously cool. I am more suggesting allow the author to choose what happens and support them in this.

• Like 2

*Pie in the sky warning*

If SainT does end up including WiFi in the cart, maybe that could be utilised in some way.

If not for a fully fledged "homebrew channel" type thing, then maybe just to check if you have a licence for a game you are trying to load?

It's an idea, but then requires infrastructure for confirming licenses etc etc, and also for people to have WiFi and have connected their board to it.

Be cool if it could be accessed from the Jag for external comms (virtual JagLink anyone? :) ) but suspect it may just be used for his original intent of coping stuff to the cart from a PC.

Not keen on it relying on other hardware to validate. I have that whole issue with modern games that when the servers get shut down will stop working. However being tied to a particular type of hardware (SD/Skunk) in some way could be one way of stopping unwanted repros and I like the idea of that. Not sure how you'd implement it though.

• Like 1

It doesn't just have to be ROMs being sold. I think the bigger concern amongst homebrew developers (well those I have spoken with :) ) is more stopping people making a quick buck from their work.

If you have spent the last months/years working on your game and release for people to play and enjoy, having someone with low scruples making and selling carts of that release is just wrong (unless the author has given them permission obviously). Protecting a ROM to only run on SD card and/or Skunk will hopefully limit such activity and leave the decision of who makes carts of a release down to the authors.

Nothing to say freely released games shouldn't have the benefit of their authors deciding if they are locked or not.

• Like 2

Top Hat Gaming Man, makes some good points on this ROM discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRdClYnKki0&t=543s

I wish these youtube 'personalities' would just release the transcripts so I can read though what would be a 10 minute video in about 90 seconds without having to listen to their whiny voices and shitty background music.

Plus, those are the second most yellow teeth I've seen in a youtube video this week.

• Like 5

I wish these youtube 'personalities' would just release the transcripts so I can read though what would be a 10 minute video in about 90 seconds without having to listen to their whiny voices and shitty background music.

Plus, those are the second most yellow teeth I've seen in a youtube video this week.

Well, he's English, innit'?

• Like 2