IGNORED

Disk II Analog Card: What am I Missing?

I recently acquired two Apple Disk II drives for my Apple //e. I was able to determine that both drives work, except one (now drive 2) has a bad analog board (I swapped the boards to make that diagnosis). When I examined the defective board, I noticed that a chip (74LS125) had a big chunk of it missing. I've replaced the chip, but there's been no improvement. I was told that the kind of damage the chip suffered could have been caused by a short, but I couldn't find any. All the capacitors seem good, and I can't find any broken traces. I'm kind of at a loss now. I mean one drive is better than no drive, but I'd like to get both working if I can. Maybe someone can spot something I missed. (The first photo pre-repair.post-63947-0-88190700-1526623339_thumb.jpgpost-63947-0-44612500-1526623372_thumb.jpgpost-63947-0-09100100-1526623405_thumb.jpg

Hello,

In fact, the LS125 will blow up if it takes 12 Volts instead of 5 which happens when the 20 pin connector is not correctly plugged in the Disk II controller card (ie shifted by one pin).

Since you have one working card, I suggest you tried every single IC of the defective one on it. There is good chance you'll spot more damaged ICs.

Cheers,

Edited by trash_44fr
  • Like 2

Hello,

In fact, the LS125 will blow up if it takes 12 Volts instead of 5 which happens when the 20 pin connector is not correctly plugged in the Disk II controller card (ie shifted by one pin).

Since you have one working card, I suggest you tried every single IC of the defective one on it. There is good chance you'll spot more damaged ICs.

Cheers,

Thank You Space Invader! I was able to narrow it down to the chip marked MC3470P Motorola 8045. Can you believe that someone actually threw these things away for what's likely to be less than $4 in repairs. Whoever it was kept the Apple II, but couldn't be bothered to fix the drives!?! I don't get it :-\

• Like 1