IGNORED

2 button joystick ?

R0ger

Well it turns out I screwed up the schematic. There is a problem with the switching between paddle and buttons. Need to rework it.

EDIT: V3 boards ordered from OSHPark. :/

no problem, I want to see that pcb working to make another joystick 2.0 :grin:

News: soon in Altirra 3.20 will have support for 3 buttons using my scheme ;-)

regards

This all is really nice, thanks for all pathes.

BTW I remember there was version of Missile Command with 3 turrets. But ihey were operated from keyboard. It would be great to have version with joystick buttons, or maybe we can hack also the trackball :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. V3 worked fine, I've used the schematic to make two different versions of the board, one with everything, one with just the extra buttons (and Fire3/Up switch) which is small enough to be only $6 for three from oshpark. Waiting for the purple pcb's to arrive again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK the boards are in and work great, here they are fully populated (you probably won't need to do that)

post-62759-0-23202000-1556573996_thumb.jpg

I'm just writing some documentation and I'll be sharing, hopefully tomorrow. The Large board is $12.30 for 3 and the small board (the one most people will probably want) is $6.95 for 3. The docs will be on my website and the gerbers will be on OSHPark.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

OK the boards are in and work great, here they are fully populated (you probably won't need to do that)

attachicon.gifa8c.jpg

I'm just writing some documentation and I'll be sharing, hopefully tomorrow. The Large board is $12.30 for 3 and the small board (the one most people will probably want) is $6.95 for 3. The docs will be on my website and the gerbers will be on OSHPark.

congratulations for the design of the plates, they were very good. :D

regards

What an interesting thread to stumble upon...

Just to give you guys some inspiration, back-in-the-day in Atari Inc's Consumer Engineering Division, Dan Kramer and others built custom Trak-Balls with 3 Fire Buttons so they could accurately play Missile Command on their A8s. The custom in-house version is referred to as 3-Base Missile Command. Here's a pic of Dan's custom 3-button Trak-Ball Controller for use with it:

Dan Kramer 3 Fire Button Custom Trak Ball Controller

Rob Zdybel suggested using the Paddle Lines for the 2 extra Fire Buttons.

Mr. Robot's pic of the various Atari arcade controllers reminded me that had Warner not forced Atari Inc to cancel the 5200, Dan Kramer would've finished up a Driving Controller [based upon Atari's Pole Position Steering Wheel and Shifter] and a Yoke Controller [based upon Atari's Star Wars Yoke] for that doomed console.

• Like 3

I got a gift from the Kevin Savetz and Nir Dary today at VCF East!

Here is David's Midnight Magic with the flipper buttons swapped around to match Pinball Construction Set so it will work correctly with the flipper buttons on my joystick boards.

midnight-joystickFix.xex

That just leaves Advanced Pinball Simulator, I think that one will be harder to do, it uses the keyboard buttons 'Z' and '/'

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Mr Robot said:

I still haven't made a 3 button joystick yet! So many projects, so little time. I'm going to make the 3 buttons+up/fire3 switch+pinball flippers version.

I understand you perfectly, I also have the same problems many projects and little time.

but it is progressing little by little ....?

Regards