IGNORED

New Owner of an old Xbone

Well.....after years of making fun at the Xbones expense, I am finally getting one.

I found a first gen 500GB on Craigslist for $100, with two controllers. Even I can't say no to that!! Dirty CL pictures attached, haha. I will get it polished up in no time.

My main question right now, is how to go about upgrading the HDD. 500GB just won't do these days (or will it?) I pretty much exclusively buy physical games, but do plan on playing a lot of original xbox and xbox 360 games on mine, and my impression is that they all download to the HD, which could suck up space fast.

The 360 HDD was too easy, it was plug and play, but my impression from ifixit is that doing the original XBox is a pain in the butt. AND the HDD won't be formatted when installed, so I need to figure out how to format and partition it? Yikes. Am I making it more difficult than it needs to be? Should I just get an external 4TB? I generally don't like things dangling off my game console...

Thanks, and will post some pictures once it's up and running!

First purchase will be Rare Replay and Rise of the Tomb Raider!

post-38373-0-48267500-1526921196_thumb.jpg

post-38373-0-50303800-1526921249_thumb.jpg

Should I just get an external 4TB?

YES

I generally don't like things dangling off my game console...

You have the honkin' big power brick, right? It's not the expense I would have been mocking, it's that thing.

I just upgraded to a "new-to-me" Xbox One X. It's relatively tiny, no external brick, and seems to still be registered as someone else's "home console," so I have gobs of free games. I got $140 in trade for my old 'Bone from Gamestop of all places, so I think you did quite well to score what you did for $100. It's probably stolen. :grin:

Then get a 2TB drive, you boob. I thought you preferred disc games anyway? :lol:

I do! But my impression is that updates and retro stuff (xbox, xbox 360 games) will eat up HDD space fast.

Awesome. I want the NES one :)

Does anyone sell pre-formatted hard drives? I'm looking for a 2-4tb I could plug into my box. Thanks in advance if anyone has any leads!

Any USB 3.0 drive will work. There's no need for "pre-formatting," the system will do that for you when you plug it in. Also, there's absolutely zero rush to get one if you haven't filled up the internal space yet. Transfers are quick and easy.

If you really really need it to say "XBOX" on it, these greenies are a thing you can buy.

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Game-Drive-Green-STEA2000403/dp/B01065S79E

Even "disc" games require installing on new consoles, at 45 gigs each, you can see it fill up pretty fast.

Unfortunately, every game I've gotten had been basically an unlock code to get the game online, so you still have to sit through dozens of gigs of downloads to play...And that's it you got a plain Xbox one. The x games are even bigger due to 4k textures.

If you only play sub ten games in a regular rotation, the stock 500 will be big enough, it it's more, you need 500gigs per ten games. I'd to delete and download regularly.

• Like 1

So here is the story....

It was parents trying to teach their kid a lesson. He apparently played WAY too much Xbox and they would tell him to go to bed and he'd ask to play "one more level" and an hour later he'd still be playing. So his parents sold his setup for $100 bucks.

Do I feel bad that I got some poor 12 year olds Xbone for $100? No! That little snot should have gone to bed, haha!!

• Like 2

Question--why are there about 120 games available for download in this Xbox.

It was wiped, I had to setup, update, and login with my avatar and Xbox live account. My games are available and downloaded, but so are over 100 from what I can only assume is the previous owner.

What is the story with that? Will I lose them if the other person ever logs in on another Xbox one or? Thanks

Basically yes - he likely still has it set as his "home console." The games you buy are available to anyone who plays on your home console. If he ever gets a new XOne and changes the home console then you'll lose access to his stuff. He may never get another one or he may just never bother to figure that out (doesn't sound like his parents will help him).

This is what we call "not a problem."

Even if the game licenses are taken away as described above, your progress in anything you try will be saved to disk, and if you pay for Live, backed up to the cloud.

The same thing happened to me. I have a lot of my own games, and like them better because I chose them, but it's fun to have it all.

Thanks, good to know!

I have Rise of the Tomb Raider en route now. Should I be starting with Tomb Raider?

Yep, Tomb Raider 2013 is a great game and is the first in the reboot trilogy. Its the only one I've played, so I can't advocate it above the others, but it comes earlier chronologically in the story.

• Like 1

Ordered "The Definitive Edition Tomb Raider" for Xbox one even though it was $2 cheaper on PS4 haha.

I have been really impressed by my Bone'! Loving it so far. I realize why Xbox360's are so cheap right now--the backwards compatibility of the One is quite good and it really feels like a natural extension and evolution of the 360 which can wholly replace it. Unlike the PS3 which still has a reason to be on your shelf even if you have PS4.

• Like 2