IGNORED

Switchboxes

liquid_sky

Ive always wondered about this.. so im gonna ask.

Does it make any difference, be it sound, graphiucs or performance, if you choose channel 3 or 4? Ive never understood why this option is here, as long as ive beenn playing games ive wondered. I mean if you have a vcr on 3 why use a switchbiox for channel 4 when you can use s-video on most newer systems? Ive had multiple systemss hooked up to channel 3, its not like you play more than one at once anyway

quote:

Originally posted by liquid_sky:

Does it make any difference, be it sound, graphiucs or performance, if you choose channel 3 or 4?

It depends. The option is there simply because some TV's show more interference on one channel than the other. This allows for you to change the channel to get rid of the interference.

For example on the older TV's with the knobs and tunning dials there was interference mainly due to the attached TV anntena. Or the TV itself would over-power the game signal on specific channels like 3 because some devices needed it to show a clear picture.

This is manily old technology that is no longer needed, why many video game systems still offer the Chnnael 3 or 4 switch is a mystery.

Perhaps they do in case older TV's are used with the game system. Or simply it is a added easy measure for someone might get the problem fixed without having to keep returning the game systems to the store for a refund.

The bottom line is that older TV's, and perhaps a few newer TV's still do, boost the signal on channel 3. Which causes problems and why a Channel 3 or 4 switch is handy to have.

quote:

Originally posted by liquid_sky:

Thanks for clearing this all up. Maybe 3/4 is still there for the old school gamers who used 4 and dont wanna change?

Sure, I share what I know

Perhaps it is mainly for that reason that the Channel 3 and 4 switch is there-- That's the way it has been, might as well leave it.

• 9 months later...
weird. I have cable and they broadcast on 3 and 4 and i see just fine both ways.

Well, cable is a bit different. The signal is low power and is isolated in the coax.

The 3/4 stuff only concerns broadcast channels. Since FCC regulations generaly prohibit having two broadcast channels next to each other on the frequency spectrum, no matter where you go in the USA, one of those two channels will NOT have a broadcast on it. Thus making it avaialble for local microbroadcast (video game RF/VCR/ect.) use.