IGNORED

Playstation 4 in final stages of Life Cycle

If what has been said is true, in that the devs have started taking delivery of dev kits for PS5, then you'd expect an absolute minimum of 2 years left in the PS4, as it tends to take that long to make a game these days. Certainly the sort of games Sony will want as launch titles to sell their new console. So I'd say the PS4 will have an easy 8 years of life, which seems about right.

Since the PS5 will be AMD based and today's game engines are more cross-platform than ever, porting an existing PS4 development to PS5 is probably easier than ever. They can then update the texture, improve shadows and visual processing, lock it to 60fps and call it a PS5 games.. probably get all that done within the space of 3 months.

I bet the first year or so of the PS5 life will feature a number of games made this way. They will look better than the PS4, but they won't really push the tech. The first year of PS4 was like this.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone who says or said anything about "taking delivery" of a PS5 dev kit is 100 percent FULL OF SHIT.

Dev-kit = PC development kit with PlayStation APIs and hardware simulator.

It's completely feasible this happened because they are going to want launch titles for PS5, and it takes years to develop them.

Dev-kit = PC development kit with PlayStation APIs and hardware simulator.

It's completely feasible this happened because they are going to want launch titles for PS5, and it takes years to develop them.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony is sending out dev kits early to avoid the drought in original games the PS4 suffered from early on. The first year of PS4 was almost nothing but ports and remasters, the insane level of hype was what carried it along until the compelling new games started arriving in late 2014. If PS5 doesn't launch with some killer apps, they run the risk of losing market share to Nintendo, who I suspect will have a souped-up new version of the Switch out by then.