IGNORED

Dead Sega CD Unit 1 and 2 Are Not Powering On.

Atariboy2600

Well it finally happen both of my Sega CD model 1 and model 2 are not turning on any more and I check the power supplied both are turning on the Sega Genesis model 1 with no trouble so it can only mean that the CD unit's a green fuse is probably blown. How can I check this and or fix it?

Here's a photo of both Sega CD 1 and 2 as they where working back in 05

post-5587-0-78843600-1527130391_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

On the Sega CD model one check the voltage going into IC6 on the sub board. This is a 5 volt regulator pins left to right are Input, Ground, Output. Check from Ground to left pin to check for the input voltage and if you have that then check for the output voltage on pin 3. After doing those checks come back with findings.

Edited by SignGuy81

On the Sega CD model one check the voltage going into IC6 on the sub board. This is a 5 volt regulator pins left to right are Input, Ground, Output. Check from Ground to left pin to check for the input voltage and if you have that then check for the output voltage on pin 3. After doing those checks come back with findings.

Okay as soon as I get some tools Ill check it out.

Wonder if anyone out could help me in how to fix these two systems? I wanted to get what ever tools needed to make these turn on again.

Sorry didn't notice what you were asking at first. Start with screwdrivers and multimeter for initial checks and you will need a soldering iron and desoldering tool or wick to replace defective components.

Edited by SignGuy81

• 2 weeks later...

It does sound like a fuse problem (or at lease one of your problems).

You should really get yourself a multimeter, but in a pinch (on the Mega/Sega CD model 1) one way to see if the system is getting any power is to remove the RF shielding to access the CD drive and gently move the Laser away from the centre. Then re-attach the Genesis/MD to turn the whole thing on again and watch to see if the laser resets itself to the middle. That will at least tell you if the CD is getting power.

I have a broken Mega CD 1, too. But it's some other problem I haven't been able to figure out (my system just hangs on the bios screen). These things must be Sega's least reliable consoles.

If you do decided to go ahead and replace the fuse, practice soldering on an old broken circuit board or get a soldering practice kit off ebay. It's an easy repair, but there's still potential to mess things up if you don't know what you're doing.

The first video is pretty accurate except he fails to mention that the battery is in fact a rechargeable battery. So you can't just stick a tabbed 2032 in there like you would from a game cartridge. Not unless you disable the charging circuit to the battery. But a dead battery won't prevent the CD from turning on. Also keep in mind that the Genesis initiates the power on request so make sure all the contacts on the external side connector are clean.

Why is it that in none of these videos they use a simple multi-meter and just check for continuity on the fuse?! Bridging the gap to see if it powers on?! There is usually a reason behind why the fuse blew in the first place and it can be dangerous to use the 'stick a penny in the fuse holder' trick to get by even if only testing.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

• 2 months later...

Great news for anyone who needs a model 1 repaired:

Hey Rick,
I am actually one of the few people who will work on these. Apparently other modders avoid them or so I am told. I can do the full tune-up which is a recap, tray belt, gear replacement (Sony only), battery holder and battery, tray and laser calibration and alignment. If the laser itself is bad I can replace it but there is added cost. The model 1 is known for capacitor leaks and it's getting worse.
Thank you,
Chris Marvin
Mobius Strip Technologies
Follow us on
Twitter: @mobiusstriptech
Youtube: MobiusStripTech

Coincidentally, my system is currently in Mobius' shop, getting that work done to it. Mine was still working alright, but I wanted to have the caps replaced before they leaked and caused damage, rather than after. It's pricey work to have done, but I would say that it adds to the value of the system, especially when I think we are going to see more and more of them dying from leaky caps.

• Like 2

I picked up a Model 1 a few weeks back from a local shop. It played games for about 20 minutes then crapped out on me, no longer reading discs. Fortunately the shop does repairs and they took it back and opened it up. It looks like the problem was a bad cap or two and a bad laser. They'll be fixing it at no charge, but it's been a hassle for me, no doubt. Like the PC Engine DUO, anyone that buys one of these should have it looked at ASAP even if the unit is currently functioning. It seems like they'll all go sooner than later.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Boy, this is a song I've been hearing for a while now, not just for the Sega CD but a crapton of other CD-based consoles. I had to get a GDEMU for my recently acquired Dreamcast, because the stupid drive wouldn't read discs properly.

Tell me, are capacitors going to be a problem in the second model of the Sega CD? Because I have that one back in Michigan.

Not as bad an issue in the model 2 since it doesn't use surface mount and uses standard through hole. However, the batteries are an issue. I recently did a battery mod on a SegaCD model 2 sent to me because it wasn't saving anymore of course. I found that the original battery had about 1/4 corrosion on its negative side and while it hadn't gotten to any of the main board traces, it wasn't long for it. So...you also have the batteries to worry about in both models.