IGNORED

Bloodstained Curse of the Moon - WOW!

There is no physical release, and it's not official though it probably should be. Designed by those who used to make them, but no longer with Konami so they can't use the names or likenesses. it's all digital, the most valuable copy from an ownership/control stand point for now would be Steam unless they allow later LRG, fangamer or someone else to do a real run of them on a card/disc.

Finally snagged this on the Switch last night. Didn't have much time to play, but it really feels like a "Castlevania 3.5" with the multiple routes and switchable characters. I love it so far. If this game is any indication of how good Ritual of the Night is going to be, it's going to rule!

• Like 1

For Castlevania veterans, it is certainly light on difficulty. A big part of this is having multiple characters with individual health bars, and it requiring all of them to die for your entire party to actually lose a life. It's very forgiving.

That said, you get another ending for beating it with just Zangetsu and forgoing upgrades (i.e., walking past your potential comrades instead of killing them or taking them with you). This forces you to play without expanded upgrades and it's effectively the "hard mode" of the game. I had some trouble at the last couple of levels in particular playing it that way. Definitely worth trying if you haven't explored this route yet.

Boss Rush is tricky as well, as you get no backup lives, no permanent life extend upgrades, only two partial health refills between fights, and each sub-weapon you take along with you is only good for that single fight. This requires you to form a game plan in order to get through all of the fights in one swoop. For those looking for an added challenge, I do recommend trying to make your way through this as well.

I don't like it as much as Shovel Knight, but it's worth the $10. So far, I don't like most of the playable characters, I mostly just use the girl until she dies.

Ive had the same problem. It's like you have to be moving forward first before you jump.

Yeah, they're kind of copying the OLD school Castlevania jumping physics.

Not everything deserves a physical release. This is a $10 game. Let's let big budget releases be physical discs and let download games be digital only! That's how my collection works.

I wonder if Inti could swing a retro-styled bundle for a physical release? Mighty Gunvolt Burst, Bloodstained Curse of the Moon, Blaster Master Zero on one cart for $30?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It is super easy but still good. I think I got all the endings. The only thing I haven't done is the Boss Rush.

In comparison to Shovel Knight, I am unsure as to what I like more. I found Shovel Knight to be super easy too. Both have charms.

• 11 months later...
On 7/8/2018 at 8:29 PM, MrBeefy said:

It is super easy but still good. I think I got all the endings. The only thing I haven't done is the Boss Rush.

In comparison to Shovel Knight, I am unsure as to what I like more. I found Shovel Knight to be super easy too. Both have charms.

The bosses were substantially harder than previous Castlevania games though.

• Like 1

I got this a while back and played for about an hour or so, then put it down.  Wanted to start up again and play some more the other day, but it wouldn't load.  Gave an error code.  Looked up the code on the Xbox website and it said that it could be one of several things, one of which was expired subscription.  So I checked, and sure enough, my Gold sub was expired (I didn't use it a lot, obviously as it had been expired for a couple months.)  Anyway, I'm wondering if this is really why the game wouldn't load.  Was it available at one time as a "Free with Gold" thing?  I can't remember any specifics like that from when I "bought" it.  Might be able to go back and look at purchases to see if it says anything...

On 6/20/2019 at 11:33 PM, MrBeefy said:

You talking about the retro one or the modern version? I found it way more forgiving even with bosses. It was a blast to play though.

Compared to Super Castlevania 4 and Symphony of the Night, I found Curse of the Moon's bosses to be a lot harder. Even the second boss (the giant with the tophat and monocle with all of the gold) was hard. I breezed through almost all of the bosses (save for a few) on the first try in SCIV and SOTN.

Edit: The second boss (the sea turtle thing in water and ice) was even harder. I almost gave up with him. :)

Edited by Zap!
  • Like 1

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon is easily my favorite Castlevania game, and I've played almost all of them aside from the Lords of Shadow series. It really nails the classic NES aesthetic, has a great story and amazing soundtrack (the Stage 7 song "Defiler of Taboos" is my favorite), and the gameplay feels as tight and precise as can be with a perfect difficulty curve. It's a game that demands practice, memorization, and skill; but it also doesn't overly punish you for failure and there's an easy mode for less skilled players who aren't up to the challenge but still want to see how the story plays out. 

At this point I've played through Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon seven times between the 3DS release that I bought from the eShop when it first came out and the physical copy for the Switch that I recently got from Limited Run Games, and I've still only gotten 3 of the 6 possible endings to the game. There's a ton of replay value with all the different endings and new modes to unlock. All in all I feel like Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon is one of those ultra rare perfect 10/10 games for me, it just does everything right and there's not a single complaint I could make about it. This is classic Castlevania perfection. :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jin said:

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon is easily my favorite Castlevania game, and I've played almost all of them aside from the Lords of Shadow series. It really nails the classic NES aesthetic, has a great story and amazing soundtrack (the Stage 7 song "Defiler of Taboos" is my favorite), and the gameplay feels as tight and precise as can be with a perfect difficulty curve. It's a game that demands practice, memorization, and skill; but it also doesn't overly punish you for failure and there's an easy mode for less skilled players who aren't up to the challenge but still want to see how the story plays out. 

At this point I've played through Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon seven times between the 3DS release that I bought from the eShop when it first came out and the physical copy for the Switch that I recently got from Limited Run Games, and I've still only gotten 3 of the 6 possible endings to the game. There's a ton of replay value with all the different endings and new modes to unlock. All in all I feel like Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon is one of those ultra rare perfect 10/10 games for me, it just does everything right and there's not a single complaint I could make about it. This is classic Castlevania perfection. :)

i'm glad to hear such a good review of it!  I really like Castlevania, but my wife loves the series a lot (she owns the Castlevania collection on Switch). I'll put it on my wishlist!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, digdugnate said:

i'm glad to hear such a good review of it!  I really like Castlevania, but my wife loves the series a lot (she owns the Castlevania collection on Switch). I'll put it on my wishlist!

Go for it! You can also still get physical copies of it from Best Buy if you'd rather pick up a physical copy than a digital one. :)

I'm playing on New Game Plus right now but waiting on the bonus characters as well. I hope that with Shovel Knight being a bonus and that Iga had to call in WayForward in for help finishing the game maybe we'll get Shantae as a bonuc character. Longshot but one can hope. 1/2 Genie Hero was also an amazing game.