IGNORED

Karateka?

I just got the '88 Intv catalog. On the back of it are titles that are "coming soon." Stuff like Super Pro Monster Truck Rally (I think that's Stadium Mud Buggies?) but what caught my eye was Karateka and Flight Simulator. Whatever happened to Karateka? That was on the 7800. And how could the INTV do a flight simulator? Anyway, it was a cool read and I am glad I bought it.

• Like 1

I just got the '88 Intv catalog. On the back of it are titles that are "coming soon." Stuff like Super Pro Monster Truck Rally (I think that's Stadium Mud Buggies?) but what caught my eye was Karateka and Flight Simulator. Whatever happened to Karateka? That was on the 7800. And how could the INTV do a flight simulator? Anyway, it was a cool read and I am glad I bought it.

Karateka:

"Although announced by INTV in their Fall 1988 catalog as an upcoming game, no work was done on Karateka beyond some test screens by Connie Goldman."

Flight Simulator:

"Flight Simulator from Microsoft was one of the first hit games for the home computer market, so it was natural the idea would come up of creating a game like it for the Intellivision. It had been discussed at Mattel Electronics in 1981 and again in late 1983 (as a 3-D cartridge to follow-up Hover Force 3-D), but no programming had ever been done on the project.

The idea resurfaced several years later. The Fall 1988 INTV catalog promised Flight Simulator soon, before work had started. Producer Dave Warhol chose John Sohl to program the game, based on John's work on B-17 Bomber. Despite John's best efforts, he and Dave agreed the results were "disastrous." It simply was not feasible on the Intellivision. The project was abandoned.
While the game at both Mattel and INTV was always referred to as "Flight Simulator," it's not known if either company actually attempted or intended to license the title from Microsoft."
  • Like 3

Karateka would be amazing on Intellivision. And very doable.

Flight Simulator, on the other hand... Given the limitations with the Intellivision's graphic features eg background cards, I can imagine that writing even a very basic wireframe graphics engine required for a flight sim would be very difficult.

Has anyone done a 3D wireframe engine test on the Intellivision?

Could an Intellivision flight simulator look as good as this. Digital gauges might take up half the screen; the Intellivision can only bitmap about 25% of the tiles anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmkYVSbodw4

Don't forget about Super Pro Auto Racing and Super Pro Horse Racing from that catalog. I really wish they had gotten to Super Pro Auto Racing.

• Like 1

As far as I know, not all flight simulators had a graphical display of the sky. Some only had gauges and meters for you to read and messages how close you were to crash landing. That kind of flight simulator would be highly doable on the Intellivision, though not as fun and when compared to the graphical ones on home computers, people would find it lame.

Flight Zero-One-Five on the VIC-20

hqdefault.jpg

Bomber Mission

hqdefault.jpg

Flight Path 737, on this one the runway moves, though with fixed character graphics.

hqdefault.jpg

As far as I know, not all flight simulators had a graphical display of the sky. Some only had gauges and meters for you to read and messages how close you were to crash landing. That kind of flight simulator would be highly doable on the Intellivision, though not as fun and when compared to the graphical ones on home computers, people would find it lame.

Flight Zero-One-Five on the VIC-20

hqdefault.jpg

Bomber Mission

hqdefault.jpg

Flight Path 737, on this one the runway moves, though with fixed character graphics.

hqdefault.jpg

Then again, it could take the approach of B-17 Bomber, where you have all the gauges and "IFR" (Instrument Flight Rules) flying on one screen, and the visual representation with a real-time moving horizon on another mode.

-dZ.

• Like 1

Keep in mind though that this was the late 80's. People expected more from their flight Sims than they did in the early part of the 80's.

I wonder what happened to those Karateka graphics? I'd love to see them.

• 3 years later...
On 5/28/2018 at 10:24 AM, carlsson said:

By the way, didn't Bruce Artwick at subLogic license Flight Simulator to Microsoft, so if Mattel were interested in porting it to the Intellivision, they would have turned to subLogic?

Yes, he did.  He had probably the greatest and longest running version of any Flight Simulator made as it traversed many mid-80s Computers as well as into the first generation PC's, Apple's and Mac's

The very first version being FS-1 on Apple II.

"Sublogic released the flight simulation program FS1 Flight Simulator for the Apple II in 1979, followed by the more popular and widely ported Flight Simulator II in 1983, and Jet in 1985.

In 1982, Flight Simulator was licensed to Microsoft, and through 2006 Microsoft released major updates to Microsoft Flight Simulator approximately every three years"

How about doing a port of Solo Flight?

Edited by IMBerzerk

17 hours ago, cmadruga said:

I tend to agree.

Looks great!

I know it is not complete, and that you are still working on it, but I just wanted to mention that the forward speed of the guy is slightly faster than the stride in the animation, making him look a bit like he is gliding forward.  Other than that, it's quite impressive and very close to how I remember it in the C=64! :)

-dZ.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vprette said:

long time ago I negotiated this license for a certain amount but I didn't move from there since it was hard to recover costs. I can probably try to resume teh license discussion in case..

Please do reach out (in private) if you'd like to share a little more about those past conversations, and what's currently on your mind.

Edited by cmadruga