IGNORED

Arcade stick for modern gaming

Hori and Quanba make similar mass-market, asian-style sticks. I've never personally owned a quanba, but they review as well as other sticks at this pricepoint. If it weren't for the giant freaking mad catz logo I'd be hard-pressed to tell my hori from my madcatz.

Hitbox is out there too, still keeping it wierd.

It's really hard to fight the snobbery urges with terms like "good quality" getting thrown around.

Edited by Reaperman

I wonder how well a joystick-less joystick works for fighting games? The people who use them swear by them. Reminds me of the old Asteroids controllers from the 2600 days.

But yeah, Hori and Qanba seem to be the main options at this point. Mayflash is scraping the bottom of the barrel a bit, but it's a cheaper alternative. You can also roll your own, but you'd need tools for that kind of fun... drills and the like.

I have both Hori and Quanba, both are solid choices eapecially on the higher end. The Hori RAP VLX stick is super satisfying.

I never played with a Hitbox but it seems closer to playing with a keyboard but without extra buttons to accidentally press. It's probably more comfortable for some types of games beyond fighting, but feels a bit weird to me.

Making your own stick is not that hard to wire, the challenge is to build or find a good comfortable enclosure. You can get cheap but good USB encoder off Aliexpress and a bunch of Sanwa parts, and they usually include all necessary cables that can be plugged without soldering.

I can second the Hori RAP sticks for current systems. They aren't cheap, but you get what you pay for: Great sticks and buttons that are super responsive and feel really good; A large base; Thick pads underneath so it doesn't slide around; and, a handle to make carrying it from room to room easier. The current version also has a switch that lets it work with a last gen system (I have the Xbox One version, so the switch lets it work on the 360; ended up selling my 360 stick to cut down on the cost of the newest RAP). I'd be interested to check out adapters for when I get a PS4 in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

i was actually just wondering about this today- i picked up Street Fighter: 30th Anniversary for my xbox and the controller leaves a LOT to be desired.

i am using the fighting stick pro for xbox 360: this one is for the ps3

img1-30696.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Mad-Catz-Street-Fighter-Tekken-Playstation/dp/B0072A4KRA?th=1

i am using the cronus pro max adapter for multiple consoles.

later

Edited by negative1
  • Like 1