IGNORED

HSC Season 15 Round 10: Time Pilot, Star Raiders + Catch-up Rounds 1-9

Round 10 is an extended round giving everyone a chance to join back in to the action.

TIME PILOT "FINAL VERSION"

time_pilot.png

Download here

So you all want to play Time Pilot eh? Me too :D The "wip" was too easy so let's see what they've done to this one!

Full HSC points

STAR RAIDERS

star_raiders.png

We'll also play Star Raiders as a bonus game, using Deteacher's rules on the 2nd post (he may update them!). I'm rusty on this one so will need to get my pad out with all the key presses! Atarimania has the docs, page 10 has the Simplified Novice Instructions !

Scoring based on performance?

SEASON 15 CATCH-UP MISSED GAMES AND IMPROVE SCORES

Play any games from rounds 1-9, post scores here please :!:

There's lots of goodies and some better than average bonus games. I'm sure someone will list them all but just page down the HSC forum's 1st page to see the blighers :) (including classics like Wizard of Wor, Oils Well, Rainbow Walker, Qix, Blaster and newbies Bosconian and Atari Blast!)

Points will be based on improvements in the tables.

Round ends Sunday 17th June 10am UK time

JOIN IN - HAVE FUN - PLAY ATARI

• Like 2

Deteacher's Star Raiders Rules:

I'm going to campaign for Star Raiders. I know there's no point scoring in this game, but I think I've figured out a way to score this game. Hope it makes sense:

1. We have mini "leaderboards" for each skill level. Highest ranking achieved in each skill level will score the most points on each mini leaderboard. Add up all the points to determine points scored on the main leaderboard for the game.

2. If 2 people have the same rank and class on a given skill level, ties can be broken as follows:

1st tie breaker: Mission complete. I doubt that 2 people would earn the same rank if one completed the mission and one didn't, but heck, you never know. You can tell if someone completes a mission (or not) if the computer display is on screen or not. If two players complete the mission and have the same rank...

2nd tie breaker: Energy remaining. Visiting star-bases lowers your overall ranking, so someone who never visited one will have a higher ranking than one who has to go fill up/repair damage, so the tie breaker would be how much is left in the tank when you complete the mission. This information is not able to be seen if you get destroyed, so...

3rd tie breaker: Who got the ranking first. If both conditions above do not break the tie, whoever reports the ranking first is on top of the others.

Finally, if after all the points are totaled up and 2 people have the same overall score, the tie breaker goes to the player with the best performance on the highest skill level and work backwards from there.

I hope that doesn't sound too confusing and scare people off from voting for it. This is one of the best games for this platform (IMO) and I'd love to see it played in the HSC sometime...maybe this time! :)

• Like 1

So you all want to play Time Pilot eh? Me too :D

Everyone but me, it seems. But I'll go with the majority 91% who barely can't wait to play the updated version and give it a try as well.

In the future, can we have a similar catch up round with games from previous HSC seasons as well? I've got one where I'm easily scoring twice what previously has been achieved in the HSC.

• Like 2

Everyone but me, it seems. But I'll go with the majority 91% who barely can't wait to play the updated version and give it a try as well.

In the future, can we have a similar catch up round with games from previous HSC seasons as well? I've got one where I'm easily scoring twice what previously has been achieved in the HSC.

Sounds like you need to be a Time Pilot to go back... what a Mega Catch-up everying ever round, hmm you can do the scoring for that one :-o :P Yes I spotted there was one vote missing ;)

New players fill your boots, the catch-up improve format makes it tough for the top players to pick up extra points. There may be some bonuses too :)

• Like 2

@McKong: A couple of weeks ago I played Heaven/TQA's Atari port of one of my favorite games. This is my current best, 112654 pts.

post-5454-0-00725400-1527455982.jpg

Metagalactic Llamas

1st therealbountybob (p) 41,600 8

2nd Dope (n) 32,769 7

3rd Bunsen (p) 25,813 6

4th McKong 23,545 5

5th ballyalley (p) 16,914 4

6th jdh (p) 15,226 3

7th Sikor (p) 4,009 2

8th orpheuswaking (n) 2,180 1

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/251938-hsc13-r8-manic-miner-best-ports-tourney-round/?p=3498685

• Like 2

Star Raiders

I haven't played this since I was a kid. It took me a couple of goes to remember that I had to put my shields up! I seem to remember you had to lower your shields to dock with your station. I'll find the instructions tomorrow!

Pilot Mission - Pilot Class 3 Energy Remaining 2072

Edited by McKong
  • Like 1

No pics but scored 43,000 plus on the new A8 Time Pilot yesterday; great game and wonderful port from the arcade. :thumbsup:

Controls are similar to arcade: small left to right and right to left or top to bottom and bottom to top joystick movements might be easiest and best when getting used to moving in different directions from which you are flying (regardless of direction/course).

Small adjustments and movements of the stick left to right/right to left or top to bottom/bottom to top are effective for adjusting the player plane's direction; the joystick also functions as a clockwise/counterclockwise positional controller -- or a compass of sorts -- but it may be easier to try to move the plane in different directions with small adjustments vs. going to 270 degrees or 135 degrees etc. At least to start off; hopefully these observations and this suggestion will help others get used to Time Pilot's controls.

Will have to practice Star Raiders applying DeTeachers scoring rules. :grin:

My Star Raiders skills are a bit rusty: need to get back in the groove of joystick-and-keystroke-synched game play; also need to improve my warping from quad to quad on difficulty levels other than Novice! :-o

Edited by Fingolfin
  • Like 2

Are these pics taken with shields off or on. On PAL systems shields on result in a nasty greenish tint for the "space view".

Shields off. I don't use the shields in the novice mission. :) Yes, when they're on, the screen has a bluish tint.

Improved on Novice mission: Warrior Class 5 with 7,215 energy remaining.

post-9712-0-42106900-1527515289.png post-9712-0-99047900-1527515296.png

Just for the heck of it, I tried Commander mission last night...showed me how rusty I am. Didn't last long. LOL!

Edited by Deteacher

Time Pilot 42600. I hate those "lingering" shots...

post-4219-0-37319100-1527534848_thumb.jpeg

Star Raiders Pilot Level:

Pilot Class 3, remaining energy 5608

(Mission completed, one docking required for energy and a sub-space radio repair)

post-4219-0-78934600-1527536219_thumb.jpeg

post-4219-0-26835200-1527536237_thumb.jpeg

Star Raiders, Warrior Level:

Pilot Class 3, remaining energy 5616 (pretty close to the pilot level ranking, actually)

post-4219-0-96273500-1527628282_thumb.jpeg

post-4219-0-88772500-1527628300_thumb.jpeg

Novice Class 4, zero energy :mad: (engines damaged, didn't manage to dock)

Edited by slx
  • Like 3

Just had a few attempts on Star Radiers on Novice, figured out most of the controls but can't seem to dock - I figure I should use the long range scanner but nothing.

Best go so far Rookie Class 2 "Report to Star Base for Training :twisted:

Now let's read the instructions :-o :D

[edit]

this page damn it I just had to stop and look for it instead of just moving up and down on the scanner without a clue!

Playing one more go....

Completed Novice "Pilot Class 4" (17 kills) that was with one (unnecessary) stop at a star base :spidey: I never know what a spidey smiles is for but I'm going for "pleased with myself" in this case ;)

• Like 1