IGNORED

HSC Season 15 Round 10: Time Pilot, Star Raiders + Catch-up Rounds 1-9

Time Pilot - Had a bunch more goes but still not improving, I think they've made the game way too hard now (for the first round). I'll post some comments on the TP thread.

Star Raiders - Pilot - was having fun playing but got damage to photons, instruments? and long range scanner was doing nothing so I repeatedly tried to find the star base but couldn't. I tried hyperspacing to the middle without any joy and thrusting full speed to see if eventually you moved within the sector but it didn't seem to so gave up in frustration :(

Time Pilot - Had a bunch more goes but still not improving, I think they've made the game way too hard now (for the first round). I'll post some comments on the TP thread.

Star Raiders - Pilot - was having fun playing but got damage to photons, instruments? and long range scanner was doing nothing so I repeatedly tried to find the star base but couldn't. I tried hyperspacing to the middle without any joy and thrusting full speed to see if eventually you moved within the sector but it didn't seem to so gave up in frustration :(

Yeah, if your computer and long range are both destroyed, it's difficult (at best) to find the starbase, but there is a way to do it (if I remember correctly.) You can still use the long range scanner, even if it's destroyed. Hyperwarp to the starbase sector. Once you're there, bring up the long range scanner. The starbase should appear, but it's more like a screenshot (moving the joystick won't show the starbase moving. So, you have to switch to your front view, make an adjustment, then switch back to the long range scanner again. The starbase will appear in a different location. You have to keep switching back and forth, making adjustments and back to the long range scanner. It's tedious, but it does work. I'll try to make a video of me doing it.

I'm sorry that you (and others) are not enjoying Star Raiders. I figured since it was such a highly regarded game, that more would be having fun with this one.

Edited by Deteacher
  • Like 3

I'm having fun with Star Raiders, I hadn't played it since I was a kid, and probably didnt even know how to play it properly then either!

Once I started using the computers tracking numbers at the bottom of the screen I started to get the hang of it more

• Like 1

Time Pilot: 62,200

post-6856-0-67584800-1528071868.png

Now it's time for a couple of rounds of Star Raiders! I've only ever played this on Novice, so I'm going to try some harder difficulty levels. Also, I haven't played this one in about 20 years. Should be interesting. :-D

• Like 3

Yeah, if your computer and long range are both destroyed, it's difficult (at best) to find the starbase, but there is a way to do it (if I remember correctly.) You can still use the long range scanner, even if it's destroyed. Hyperwarp to the starbase sector. Once you're there, bring up the long range scanner. The starbase should appear, but it's more like a screenshot (moving the joystick won't show the starbase moving. So, you have to switch to your front view, make an adjustment, then switch back to the long range scanner again. The starbase will appear in a different location. You have to keep switching back and forth, making adjustments and back to the long range scanner. It's tedious, but it does work. I'll try to make a video of me doing it.

I'm sorry that you (and others) are not enjoying Star Raiders. I figured since it was such a highly regarded game, that more would be having fun with this one.

Thanks - Don't worry, I was having fun with SR! I didn't spot the dot on the scanner but perhaps it was there somewhere, will play more :thumbsup:

Anyone struggling with the game there is a small section in the manual with the simple instructions - link on the first page. It's really only a case of understanding the long range scanner the rest is simple :)

• Like 1

I never liked the long range scanner, always preferred locating Zylons with the computer azimuth/elevation/distance display and only used the LR scanner when the computer was gone.

In our age of multi-hour immersive gaming it gets hard to "feel" how much more immersive than all other available games Star Raiders was back in 1979 when even multiple screens were a rarity.

While I like a challenge, Commander level can get frustrating and tedious when you lose vital equipment in every battle and constantly need to find a starbase to dock for repairs.

• Like 3

I never liked the long range scanner, always preferred locating Zylons with the computer azimuth/elevation/distance display and only used the LR scanner when the computer was gone.

In our age of multi-hour immersive gaming it gets hard to "feel" how much more immersive than all other available games Star Raiders was back in 1979 when even multiple screens were a rarity.

While I like a challenge, Commander level can get frustrating and tedious when you lose vital equipment in every battle and constantly need to find a starbase to dock for repairs.

I totally get your point, there! Yes, Commander mission is unforgiving, to say the least. I just wanted to show that if you are pretty much dead in the water, there is a way out. ;)

I'll bring my 'top scores' together to make it easier to draw up the tables

Star Raiders

Novice - Lieutenant Class 5 energy left 5452

Pilot - Lieutenant Class 3 energy left 4626

Warrior - Pilot Class 5 energy left 9347

Commander - Galactic Cook Class 5 (mission failed)

Time Pilot - 128100

• Like 1

Time Pilot - 54000 pts, reached year 2077

post-5454-0-09205700-1528409216.jpg

When it comes to catch-up, I realized that I never replayed the bonus game Keep on Koastin' in the Rainbow Walker round. While my score would not have awarded me any additional points, at least it improved my score from 228 to 459 pts.

post-5454-0-96746600-1528409290.jpg

Finally, I know it is not HSC material this year so no points to be won but I set a new personal best, all formats combined on Metagalactic Llamas with a nice 127209 pts.

post-5454-0-14845800-1528409400.jpg

• Like 1