IGNORED

HSC Season 15 Round 10: Time Pilot, Star Raiders + Catch-up Rounds 1-9

I'll bring my 'top scores' together to make it easier to draw up the tables

A subtle hint if ever I saw one :thumbsup: Yes I've had a busy week but have had a session in space tonight. Enjoying Star Raiders, played again on Pilot and ranked Ensign Class 4 after a fairly decent go. The problem I had with docking where you could see the star base on screen but nothing was happening seems to be a case of angling the vertical position - I had it so moveing up/down would say Orbit Established or Broken or whatever it says but you could just move it up/down again and it re-established orbit! I think when I had a broken LR scanner the starbase dot is sometimes so far away that it is not on screen, probably moive around a bit and re-view it would work.

Keeping at it with Time Pilot but after probably 30+ goes still not completed the first round and worse still I don't see any improvement / learning factor :( Anyone comppleted the first round / additional rounds will get bonus points. Interested to know what is different on 2nd round etc?

We're time pilots so we can warp to Sunday 17th 2108 then at 10am UK time!

LLamas are booked into the next poll :thumbsup:

post-19705-0-46622200-1528491075.jpg

post-19705-0-39631800-1528491083.jpg

• Like 1

In case others haven't seen it. This is the list of rankings for Star Raiders, it's in the original instruction manual.

Rank Mission Score

ROOKIE 48 - 79

NOVICE 80 - 111

ENSIGN 112 - 143

PILOT 144 - 175

ACE 176 - 191

LIEUTENANT 192 - 207

WARRIOR 208 - 223

CAPTAIN 224 - 239

COMMANDER 240 - 271

STAR COMMANDER 272 - 303

Edited by McKong
  • Like 1

The Tables

probably missed some Star Raiders scores so please each post a summary with your next post if you have time ;)

Time Pilot

1st McKong 128,100 12pts
2nd Deteacher 83,200 11pts
3rd therealbountybob 82,000 10pts
4th slx 82,000 9pts
5th graywest 62,200 8pts
6th Sikor 61,300 7pts
7th devwebcl 54,200 6pts
8th carlsson 54,000 5pts
9th RedThunder 51,400 4pts
10th Shawn Jefferson 46,000 3pts
11th jblenkle 44,800 2pts
12th Fingolfin 43,000 2pts

Star Raiders

Deteacher

Novice - Warrior Class 5 energy left 7,215

Pilot - Warrior Class 3 energy left 3,587

Warrior - Captain Class 4 energy left 7,225

Commander - Star Commander Class 5 E9525

McKong

Novice - Lieutenant Class 5 energy left 5452

Pilot - Lieutenant Class 3 energy left 4626

Warrior - Pilot Class 5 energy left 9347

Commander - Galactic Cook Class 5 (mission failed)

graywest

Novice -

Pilot - Ensign Class 1

Warrior - Pilot Class 1

Commander -

slx

Novice -

Pilot - Pilot Class 3 E5,608

Warrior - Pilot Class 3 E5,616

Commander -

trbb

Novice - Ace Class 4

Pilot - Ensign Class 4

Warrior -

Commander -

RedThunder

Novice - Galactic Cook Class 4

Catch-up and Improve (Season 15 Rounds 1-9)

slx - Jump Man Jr 6,150 (Speed 3 - Hell Stones)

carlsson - Keep On Koastin' 459

trbb - Atari Blast! 421,270

• Like 1

Time pilot - small progress... Ergggh, i have not much time to training this title :/

That's a great score Sikor :thumbsup: Did you notice anything different / harder on the 2nd loop?

I've hit the wall on Atari Blast - 41-42K. The gameplay is better than I first thought. I've no idea how I completed this before, perhaps I was on the easier difficulty :-o :D

Let's start the poll then eh?!

Round 11 POLL OPEN !

Edited by therealbountybob

Star raiders commander mission ensign class 3 energy 9440

I was surprised to improve on Star Raiders to the point where I beat the Commander mission.

The keys things for me were learning to avoid the enemies shots more, learning to use the long range scanner to help locate the star base quicker when returning for repairs, and using the tracking that switches the view to 'AFT' when the closest target is behind. This helps to stop the enemy ships from creeping up on you!

Edited by McKong
  • Like 2

and using the tracking that switches the view to 'AFT' when the closest target is behind. This helps to stop the enemy ships from creeping up on you!

While the "auto" tracking will not let a Zylon creep up on you and kill you from behind, I still don't get the reversed controls in aft view. You'd assume that someone building a space battle ship would not risk it by expecting crews to think backwards when using the aft cannon....

Still not managed it through a commander mission alive....

Few points more... Sadly, that i have not time to play... And play only on my short breaks from other job ;)

And you were so nearly going to get a HSC "win" ;-)

You guys are doing a lot better than me on SR; had a couple of cracks at Warrior but got fried Rookie/5 and GSC/3 :) Think I need to get better on Pilot before advancing and pay attention to McKong's tips :thumbsup:

EVERYONE: Round 11 POLL OPEN !

Finally made it through Star Raiders Commander Mission, but barely.

Galactic Cook Class 5 with 6059 energy remaining, I must have played the better part of an hour and it mostly felt like work. I must have had those shields repaired a dozen times.

Despite several tries never managed to beat my previous high score in Time Pilot. Made it to the UFO level and saw the boss UFO but got finished off before I could engage it. Can't fail to admire the port. Even if it's not 100% like the original, it feels like I remember the Arcade machine and that's most important! I love the community that results in great games like this 30 years after the Atari's heyday!

post-4219-0-25132400-1529183396_thumb.jpeg

post-4219-0-92485200-1529183445_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1