IGNORED

Basic Help !!

Bez

Hello all!

Just starting out here, so be kind..

Got a 6-switch NTSC VCS and trying to hook it up on a PAL TV.

Got a manual RF-switch and 75 to 300ohm converter. Tried it on 2 different TV sets but the best pic I got was black & white...sluggish sort of pic with some distorted noise.

I also tried channel switching but nothing seems to be going my way.

Help me out here please !!

I've encountered same kind of problems when connecting an NTSC Coleco Gemini (Atari 2600 clone made by Coleco) to a PAL TV.

BUT I have colors on the TV and I don't use an ohm converter just a basic RF switch.

But it doesn't output any sounds and someone on this board told me that it was normal because NTSC sound comes different so my PAL TV will not recognize it (or something like this)

So I'm not for any help to you, just share our basic NTSC in Europa connecting problems, sorry

Glad to hear I´m not the only one with this kind of problem.

Tried the VCS on my brand new TV (WOW!) which is able to recognize all TV systems.

Like I said, I get a picture, bu it´s fuzzy and black & white. So maybe I should try another RF switch?

Try to just the chanell manually too, because with automatic sometimes it's fuzzy and the you just search manually a little and it could help.

My TV set is also a multi system and I can choose NTSC as well on it

BTW...even if it's fuzzy do you have any sound (even a lil' blip or something )???

@ZANZA:

Most multi-standard TVs actually support two different versions of NTSC (NTSC 3.58 and NTSC 4.43). I'm not quite sure, what the difference is, but if it were the sound carrier frequency, and your TV only supported NTSC 4.43 (I think NTSC 3.58 is the standard used in North America), then it might explain, why your console generates colours but no sound.

@berzerker:

Some multi-standard TVs only support NTSC through the AV inputs but not though the antenna input. Also PAL TVs usually take 75 Ohm inputs, so there should be no need to convert the output of the VCS to 300 Ohm. And just to make sure you are not forgetting something obvious here: you have set the program, that you are using for your VCS, to NTSC mode in the on-screen menu of your TV, right?

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

As I figured it´s either the RF-switch that is crap or possibly it´s the 75 to 300ohm converter. I used it, simply ´cause my RF switch came with 2 Y or U shaped pins, so I simply put the 75/300 to be able to connect at all, to the TV.

Yes, I have changed the NTSC in the menu, but I think it´s something else which is the problem, since I get a better picture on another set, B&W, fuzzy and occasional gamesound.

Many thanks anyway!

If you are having trouble connecting the VCS to the TV, you can open up the VCS, and replace the cable with a European version. I think the connector inside the VCS is the same cinch/RCA plug in all models of this console. That way you can at least rule out the switch and the converter as the problem cause.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

I think maybe I´ll just make that composite mod right away. Does anybody where I can schematics for that other than what´s discibed on the site?

Maybe with better/more pics to help me on the way..

thanks.

H