IGNORED

Game boy link cable?

What is the difference between the link cable for Game boy and Game boy advance?

I was going to dump my progress from my pokemon games to the other ones but either my link cable, or port is bad, or its an older Game boy cable and not a gba cable. Ruby and sapphire was what I was going to swap out.

Does anybody make a modern replacement cable? Can Game boy and Game boy advance talk to each other? Like Crystal to a gba game? I remember there was a wireless cable, but it was hit and miss for games that came out earlier, anybody use one?

Also, is there any type of four player thing for gba, and if so, what games support it? I only ever used the four player adapter once in the early 90's to play faceball, I won't swear any other games used it, but it was still cool.

Anyhow, any info and experiences would be appreciated.

You can indeed get newly made game boy and advance link cables. But to answer your question I think gba has extra pins that allow it to transfer more data faster. Gba games require gba cables, but using a game boy or color game on a gba, you can still use the older cables.

There were like 3 versions of the Nintendo cable. The original GB (DMG) used the first. Then for the GB Pocket, Light and Color was a slightly modified plug they all used. Finally there was the one the GBA/SP used too and it even had a second variant for the smaller gb micro though the wiring was the same. THere were hybrid adapter style cables Nintendo made that branched off or was one on each side to go between certain models as well from the GBP(2nd) forward.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a question we get asked at our store all of the time.

The general rule of thumb we use here is...

"The game decides your cable, NOT the system"

What this means is that you if want to play a gameboy black and white or color game, you will need a gameboy color cable even if you are playing it on an gameboy advance.

The gameboy advance cable is only for gameboy advance games.

If you are going to share pokemon from a gameboy color to a gameboy advance you would need a gameboy cable for the pokemon game that you are sharing.. if you are trading in pokemon red with pokemon blue you would need a gameboy color cable.

They do make hybrid cables that have multiple heads on the end with a switch to go between gba and gbc, but the same concept holds true.

They do make new cables that fit these needs..

I recommend everyone who has multiple gameboys or likes to trade have multiple cables for all of the options.

• Like 1

Oh well, my reference to gb talking to gba was actually from those games. I was thinking gb pokemon games could trade to gba games.

It's been to long since I've messed with it though.

Anyhow. Got a gba cable in. I'd forgotten they have that brick in the middle of the cable to plug more in.

After I got Zelda Oracle of Seasons and Ages GBC and only having a GBA and a GBC I went looking for a cable to connect them. I swear I looked everywhere from Ebay, Asian sites and even Amazon and all I can say if such a cable even exists I can't find it. I literally had to get a second GBC to do the data transfer I wanted.

Edited by Classic Pac

When it comes to Game Boy systems there are 3 different link cables that work with different types of games.

The original Game Boy link cable will work for transferring data between original Game Boy and backwards compatible (black cartridge) Game Boy Color games, but not Game Boy Color exclusive or Game Boy Advance games. The Game Boy Pocket / Color link cable will work for transferring games data between original Game Boy and all Game Boy Color games, but not Game Boy Advance games. The Game Boy Advance link cable will only transfer data between Game Boy Advance games and nothing else.

One good thing to know is that you can use a Game Boy Pocket / Color link cable to transfer data between original Game Boy and Game Boy Color games being played on a Game Boy Advance / SP or the GameCube's Game Boy Player. The Game Boy Advance link cable port is sized to support both the Game Boy Advance link cable and the Game Boy Pocket / Color link cable, you just have to make sure to use the right kind of cable for the games you're transferring data between.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1