IGNORED

FujiConvert 0.1

Xuel

...and in anticipation of the premiere of the live action version of Cowboy Bebop, here is the legendary theme tune - which IMHO is one of the best conversions I've done so far - really pleased with it:

(ran through Audio Alter 3D audio enhancer, then Fujiconvert with the following settings: Auto gain off, (using a gain of 4), DC offset of -7, then 16 for course levels, 2 for fine levels, 0 for bump, 5/7 for non linear and 4/6 for linear)

Cowboy Bebop Theme Audio alter 3D Gain 4 DC offset minus 7 16 2 0 5_7 4_6 pdm2 stereo 22135Hz ide pal.pds

Edited by Beeblebrox

On 10/20/2021 at 11:16 PM, Beeblebrox said:

@mistapaul  Thanks for the Audio Alter link and the heads up.  I've been playing around with the 3D audio enhancer function as well as trying different settings on Fujiconvert to enhance some of the Skyrim and also Tempest 2000 tracks I have. (I read a few older posts in this thread attempting to gain an understanding of things like DC offset, etc etc. Tiny bit more enlightened after doing so, and a bit of Googling. :thumbsup:

I've found the following Fujiconvert settings are quite good at noticably mitigating somewhat against the distortion you get in the quieter bits of the tracks. (So the sort of fizz/pop cutting in and out sound at extreme lower levels), whilst still allowing some good upper level/louder audio to come through. You still get the contant background light hissing of course given it's 22kHz stereo but I can live with that. (You can tell I am no audio technician with the use of this terminology eh?).;)

So I am currently leaving auto gain off, (using a gain of 4), DC offset of -7, then 16 for course levels, 2 for fine levels, 0 for bump, 5/7 for non linear and 4/6 for linear:

image.thumb.png.87631ed4a2ed087fbf01f182ba1b6374.png

I posted earlier versions of some of the following tracks in this thread. IHMO I think these new versions are improvements and the stereo still sounds great on my speakers:

Skyrim Far Horizons audio alter 3d gain 4 DC offset minus 7 16 2 0 5_7 4_6 pdm2 stereo 22135Hz ide pal.pds 13.88 MB · 3 downloads

Skyrim Streets of Whiterun cropped gain 4 dc offset minus 7 16 2 0 non linear pulse 5_7 linear pulse 4_6 pdm2 stereo 22135Hz ide pal.pds 8.26 MB · 3 downloads

Skyrim from past to present audio alter 3D gain 4 DC offset minus7 16 2 0 5_7 4_6 pdm2 stereo 22135Hz ide pal.pds 12.8 MB · 3 downloads

and of course a bit of Tempest 2000. (This one not 3D audio alter enhanced as for some reason the track conversion kept outputting a 10k corrupted file):

Tempest 2000 Mind's Eye gain 4 DC offset minus 7 16 2 0 5_7 4_6 pdm2 stereo 22135Hz ide pal.pds 6.76 MB · 4 downloads

(Maybe a bit distortion with the drum and bass (could be my speakers) - but can Tempest 2000 tracks have too much bass?!:P:music:

this is my conversion, the original file seems to have a differnent bass line playing on both stereo channels, which gives it an echo effect. i just tried to cut this hiss..

02 Mind's Eye pdm16 stereo +7161604646 ide pal.pds

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of Predator. The main theme.

Turned out nicely:

Predator - Main Theme AudioAlter3D gain 4 DC offset minus7 16 2 0 5_7 4_6 pdm2 stereo 22135Hz ide pal.pds

(as usual ran through Audio Alter 3D audio enhancer, then Fujiconvert with the following settings: Auto gain off, (using a gain of 4), DC offset of -7, then 16 for course levels, 2 for fine levels, 0 for bump, 5/7 for non linear and 4/6 for linear)

Also, just for the hell of it my Rastaconveter image I did back in the summer which I'd posted on the Rastaconverter thread at the time:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/200118-images-generated-by-rastaconverter/?do=findComment&comment=4850313

Beeblebrox_PredatorArnie1sm_17.thumb.jpg.0a28b2a9c5c9cd21d73c8ec8e9325689.jpg

Beeblebrox_PredatorArnie1sm_17.xex

• Like 3

Another one, been converting some Synthwave style tracks

(as usual ran through Audio Alter 3D audio enhancer, then Fujiconvert with the following settings: Auto gain off, (using a gain of 4), DC offset of -7, then 16 for course levels, 2 for fine levels, 0 for bump, 5/7 for non linear and 4/6 for linear)

Home-Odyssey Tides Audio alter 3D Gain 4 DC offset minus 7 16 2 0 5_7 4_6 pdm2 stereo 22135Hz ide pal.pds  Crank up those speakers!:D

... and another Synthwave  - time to crack out the 80's jacket and shades!;):music:

The Abyss Lightning Audio alter 3D Gain 4 DC offset Minus 7 16 02 0 5_7 4_6 pdm2 stereo 22135Hz ide pal.pds

...more Home Odyssey Synthwave - really gets interesting a minute or so in:music::

Home-Odyssey gain4 DC offset minus 7 16 2 0 5_7 4_6 pdm2 stereo 22135Hz ide pal.pds

(towards the end it envokes memories of watching some classic 80s indie sci-fi movies with synth soundtracks)

I really want to get a decent conversion of the Stranger Things title theme that is as clear as possible. So far it's evaded me.

Edited by Beeblebrox

Really pleased with this conversion from the original in game OST for Outcast, a fav game from the late 90's on PC I posted some tracks from last month here on the thread.

This one has really converted well and all the orchestral elements sound fantastic on my setup. Brings back memories of running round the city talking to the in game NCPs. Such a great score for a game. Music is games like Outcast is absolutely key to immersion IMHO. Download underneath the pic.

Outcast is being remade as Outcast - Second Contact | PC Gamer

Outcast Oriental Spirit_AudioAlter3D gain4 DC offset minus7 16 2 0 5_7 4_6 pdm2 stereo 22135Hz ide pal.pds

Another couple from Outcast as above. World of Snow is particularly good.:music:

Outcast World Of Snow Audioalter3D gain 4 DC offset minus7 16 2 0 5_7 4_6 pdm2 stereo 22135Hz ide pal.pds

Outcast World of Mountains Audioalter3D gain4 DCoffsetminus7 16 2 0 5_7 4_6 pdm2 stereo 22135Hz ide pal.pds

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/26/2021 at 3:08 PM, nasty niff said:

On 10/26/2021 at 7:48 PM, nasty niff said:

Hmmm,  @nasty niff

looks like the settings are in the filename... so are these correct:  ???

DC offset: +7

Coarse Levels: 16

Fine levels: 16

Bump: 0

Non-linear: 4/6

Linear: 4/6

I am asking, since my PDM conversions for Pokey do have a lot of (white) noise, while your conversions are almost noise-free.

Besides, what Gain level did you use (or did you use Auto Gain) ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Hmmm,  @nasty niff

looks like the settings are in the filename... so are these correct:  ???

DC offset: +7

Coarse Levels: 16

Fine levels: 16

Bump: 0

Non-linear: 4/6

Linear: 4/6

I am asking, since my PDM conversions for Pokey do have a lot of (white) noise, while your conversions are almost noise-free.

Besides, what Gain level did you use (or did you use Auto Gain) ?

I use gain +2 and that's the settings in the file name.the new files I have done use covox and are pretty good....just need Dolby digital for Atari 

DolbyDigital.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nasty niff said:

I use gain +2 and that's the settings in the file name.the new files I have done use covox and are pretty good....just need Dolby digital for Atari 

Thanks for the info! In the last months I used Beeblebrox's settings (DC Offset -7, Coarse levels 16, Fine levels 2, Bump 0, non-linear 5/7, linear 4/6), but noticed recently that your settings sound better with my equipment. But today I found out that either a) the type of Pokey or b) the type of stereo enhancement makes a big difference regarding playback quality...

Lucky me, I do have two Atari 800XL computers with stereo enhancements and Covox. The Covox is a PIA Covox by Lotharek in both computers, but there are two different stereo enhancements. One computer has a stereo enhancement by Lotharek with two Pokey chips (both by OKI 1979) and produces a lof of white noise, while the other computer has a stereo enhancement by tf_hh with two Pokey chips (one by OKI 1979, the other by AMI without a date/year) that produces much less white noise. Unsure if the more vs. less white noise comes from the Pokeys or from the stereo boards.

Lotarek_stereo_enh.thumb.jpg.4c795503adc4c3247468bca105213d10.jpg

(above: Lotharek stereo enhancement)

TFHH_stereo_enh.thumb.jpg.3c39e505f655ea741b8602b40e153f9e.jpg

(above: tf_hh stereo enhancement)

Find attached a short example, a PDM (yes, mono!) file played back on both machines. The two 800XL computers did use the same power supply, the same cables, the same AVG cart and the same PDM file. But the playback quality differs quite a lot - recorded approx. 30 seconds of the output with my Hifi CD-Recorder onto CD-RW and then converted it into MP3 on the PC to save some space.

Here is recording one, made with the 800XL with Lotharek stereo enhancement:

and here recording two made with the 800XL with tf_hh stereo enhancement:

And here is the (zipped) PDM file I used:

CD.zip

Allthough I am hard-hearing, I can hear quite some difference between the two played back files, on the 800XL with Lotharek the quality is not good and there is a lot of white noise, on the Atari 800XL with tf_hh enhancement the quality is better and there is less white noise. Still have to find out if the Pokey chip is responsible for the quality or the stereo enhancement. And errmmm, I did not use any kind of Dolby (Digital) or other noise reduction.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Thanks for the info! In the last months I used Beeblebrox's settings (DC Offset -7, Coarse levels 16, Fine levels 2, Bump 0, non-linear 5/7, linear 4/6), but noticed recently that your settings sound better with my equipment. But today I found out that either a) the type of Pokey or b) the type of stereo enhancement makes a big difference regarding playback quality...

Lucky me, I do have two Atari 800XL computers with stereo enhancements and Covox. The Covox is a PIA Covox by Lotharek in both computers, but there are two different stereo enhancements, one computer has a stereo enhancement by Lotharek with two Pokey chips (both by OKI 1979) and produces a lof of white noise, while the other computer has a stereo enhancement by tf_hh with two Pokey chips (one by OKI 1979, the other by AMI without a date/year) that produces much less white noise. Unsure if the more vs. less white noise comes from the Pokeys or from the stereo boards.

Lotarek_stereo_enh.thumb.jpg.4c795503adc4c3247468bca105213d10.jpg

(above: Lotharek stereo enhancement)

TFHH_stereo_enh.thumb.jpg.3c39e505f655ea741b8602b40e153f9e.jpg

(above: tf_hh stereo enhancement)

Find attached a short example, a PDM (yes, mono!) file played back on both machines. The two 800XL computers did use the same power supply, the same cables, the same AVG cart and the same PDM file. But the playback quality differs quite a lot - recorded approx. 30 seconds of the output with my Hifi CD-Recorder onto CD-RW and then converted it into MP3 on the PC to save some space.

Here is recording one, made with the 800XL with Lotharek stereo enhancement:

and here recording two made with the 800XL with tf_hh stereo enhancement:

And here is the (zipped) PDM file I used:

CD.zip 6.13 MB · 0 downloads

Allthough I am hard-hearing, I can hear quite some difference between the two played back files, on the 800XL with Lotharek the quality is not good and there is a lot of white noise, on the Atari 800XL with tf_hh enhancement the quality is better and there is less white noise. Still have to find out if the Pokey chip is responsible for the quality or the stereo enhancement. And errmmm, I did not use any kind of Dolby (Digital) or other noise reduction.

TF_HH sounds far better, i use a pokeymax nowadays, have lotharek pokey in my other xl.

pokeymax is far better especially with covox enabled.

Audioalter generates a new file, but alas outputs MP3 format only with 128kbps ?!?

Or does it have a setting somewhere, where I can setup to use MP3 output with 256kbps ?

(Or at least the same output as input, since I am mostly using MP3 with 224kbps.)

off-topic: My Hifi Mini-Disc recorder by Pioneer does have Digital Noise reduction by Dolby. Just for fun, I name it Dolby Digital Noise Reduction (it reduces the noise of Dolby Digital, hahaha..., especially since Mini-Disc only has stereo hahaha...)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Audioalter generates a new file, but alas outputs MP3 format only with 128kbps ?!?

Or does it have a setting somewhere, where I can setup to use MP3 output with 256kbps ?

(Or at least the same output as input, since I am mostly using MP3 with 224kbps.)

off-topic: My Hifi Mini-Disc recorder by Pioneer does have Digital Noise reduction by Dolby. Just for fun, I name it Dolby Digital Noise Reduction (it reduces the noise of Dolby Digital, hahaha..., especially since Mini-Disc only has stereo hahaha...)

https://online-audio-converter.com/ this version with the audio convertor @320kbps, dont hear much difference between 128 and 320

The Mamas & The Papas - California Dreamin' (online-audio-converter.com) covox mono 44270Hz ide pal.zip

Hello Andreas/CharlieChaplin

5 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

... but there are two different stereo enhancements. One computer has a stereo enhancement by Lotharek with two Pokey chips (both by OKI 1979) and produces a lof of white noise, while the other computer has a stereo enhancement by tf_hh with two Pokey chips (one by OKI 1979, the other by AMI without a date/year) that produces much less white noise.

Maybe @tf_hh can tell us more.

Sincerely

Mathy

19 hours ago, Mathy said:

Maybe @tf_hh can tell us more.

Not sure exactly. One thing is, I´m using the NE5532 OpAmp, which is much better regarding low-noise than the commonly used LM358 and others. The values of resistors and caps are optimized after years of change in the design. Currently I´m raising the low frequencies (bass) a little bit more than other stereo PCBs do, giving the POKEY sound a little bit more oomph 🙂

Secondly, I didn´t know if this is correct for Lotharek´s stereo PCB, this is one of the few items I never purchased from him. But a lot of stereo PCBs made one essential mistake in their design: They´re switching between mono and stereo after the final cap in line. Some "Gumby" schematics have this, too. The problem: The typically used 4016/4066 analog switch chip will be damaged after some time when fed with AC, even when it´s approx 1. Vss. I´ve made this error also in my early designs. So maybe the other stereo PCB is an older design also having this flaw. Just an idea. The effect of a dying 4016/4066 chip is noise, clicks and rasping sound.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Alright,

here are some Jaguar-64Bit game-sound recordings converted into PDM, PDS and COS formats for NTSC A8.

For the Tramiels we do the math: Jaguar played the sounds with 16Bit stereo I think, my Hifi CD-Recorder recorded them with 16Bit stereo and Fuji-Convert converted them into 8Bit mono or stereo. If not, then our A8 is a 64Bit machine and capable of playing 64Bit sounds, hahaha...

Battlemorph_ntsc.zip

Blue_Lightning_ntsc.zip Highlander_ntsc.zip Hover_Strike_UL_ntsc.zip Iron_Soldier_2_ntsc.zip I-War_ntsc.zip Missile_Command_ntsc.zip MYST_ntsc.zip Tempest_2000_ntsc.zip Vid_Grid_ntsc.zip

• Like 3