IGNORED

Intellivision Entertainment launching a NEW Intellivision console

Rev

Software emulators typically work off a copy of the cartridge rom in local ram; any other hardware like cartridge ram would be emulated. Even without usb, I've never heard of a software emulator that interacts directly with the cartridge rom. Anything is possible, but it would require new emulation software.

Which is one of many reasons we're happy Joe Z is involved.

• Like 3

Incorrect. They will not look or play like the much maligned "Gen2" games. Completely new design / style, graphics, sounds and game play. Starting from scratch.

Well, I stand corrected. Thanks for the information. :)

-dZ.

You could do an Intellivision III/IV in fpga or software emulation (adding Intellivision III to jzintv shouldn't be much trouble) but there would be no software to run on it.

Well, at first, sure. But there's homebrew scene and I think they'd put III/IV emulation to a good use if it becomes available. And with support in IntyBASIC for those (or a separate fork of IB to support these things - I really wish IB was opensource, lol), it could be very easy to fix the "no software" issue ;).

Anyway, that's beside the point. The point was that these unreleased consoles deserve to be finished, even if it would be only for the fans of the brand (as I've said - once emulator/hardware appear, the homebrew scene will do a thing and it will be put to a good use).

• Like 1

An Intellivision III would be interesting. It's specifications were fairly well defined; and because it is an Intellivision with more pixels/colours/sprites, existing Intellivision programmers could pick it up if interested. An Intellivision IV is a different animal, and not as well defined. If someone were to create one, it wouldn't be an Intellivision IV any more than an Amiga or Genesis is.

• Like 2

On the "new game" side of the console, the coding environment will be Unity. So it would be possible for developers to create games that are very modern and contemporary looking, or go all pixelated and more "legacy", creating within whatever system limitations they choose to impose on their work (ie. Intellivision III, IV).

I would be ready to buy a intellivision III with cartridge support, compatible with the original, in fpga or emulated.. something related to intellivision... this would remember intellivision only if the hardware will use the same joypad concept....

Edited by vprette

can someone comment on the following to help me understand?

I have read the article at https://www.n3rdabl3.com/2018/07/intellivision-comeback-details/resuming the Tallarico promises.

He says:

every single game that’s going to be on our system, every single game, is going to be an exclusive

I do follow the videogame industry since 35 years.... and I do not recall a system doing the same... I am very surprise and confused by this statement.... how could this possibly be achieved?

Edited by vprette

I expect what is meant is that you won't get ports of games you see everywhere... I.e. no 'Minecraft' that's on every system and phone and tablet and whatever. Or, if you ever see a licensed title, not that it would ever happen, but for example Sonic the Hedgehog. The game would use the character, but the specific game would be exclusive to the console and not ported to other platforms.

I expect what is meant is that you won't get ports of games you see everywhere... I.e. no 'Minecraft' that's on every system and phone and tablet and whatever. Or, if you ever see a licensed title, not that it would ever happen, but for example Sonic the Hedgehog. The game would use the character, but the specific game would be exclusive to the console and not ported to other platforms.

to have a license as exclusive, you need to pay good money.. I dono see this sonic thing happening...

in the other side.... a new concept developed for inty... if you want to keep it exclusive, you need to buy it forefront from the programmer.... I do not know how they can do this.... but this declaration grow my curiosity about this project, and I can say now I will buy for sure one piece of the hardware anyway....

from hw side, especially interested in the controller that I did love a lot at the time

Edited by vprette

to have a license as exclusive, you need to pay good money.. I dono see this sonic thing happening...

in the other side.... a new concept developed for inty... if you want to keep it exclusive, you need to buy it forefront from the programmer.... I do not know how they can do this.... but this declaration grow my curiosity about this project, and I can say now I will buy for sure one piece of the hardware anyway....

from hw side, especially interested in the controller that I did love a lot at the time

I used only Sonic as a hypothetical example. It could be a license for an official INTV Funhouse game or an Oscar Meyer Weiner game -- it doesn't matter. I was just trying to illustrate that by "Exclusive" they mean a that the game will only be on the Intellivision Entertainment console. I'm sure we'll hear all about the cool licenses they do manage to land eventually. :D

Based on the expressed quality requirements for the games (at least a 7 out of 10 as Tommy Tallarico has stated in multiple interviews), it sounds like part of whatever contract is made to publish the game in the store will mandate at least some period of time during which the game would be available ​only on the Intellivision Entertainment console. It might be too much to ask for permanent​ exclusivity. Game publishers will of course have the option to accept such an exclusivity clause -- and put their game on the console -- or not. As has been mentioned, you could choose to publish a great game that is completely lost in the vast ocean of games for Android / iOS / Xbone, PS4, Windows 10 Mobile (ok, that last one is a joke) -- but the odds of the game even being noticed are small unless you're a major publisher willing to spend a lot​ of money to market the game. But being a really good game in the 'walled garden' of the Intellivision Entertainment System (for lack of a better name), I think the hook there will be greater visibility for your game. It's hoped that this "bigger fish, smaller pond" may be a great venue for smaller development houses or indie publishers to get noticed. Success on the Intellivision platform could become a great springboard to larger things for some publishers, others may opt to stay where they've found success -- it's really going to be fascinating to watch. If a few high profile success stories emerge, the sweet nectar of game creation success will draw more talent to the platform. Well, I imagine that's the Grand Vision.

I used only Sonic as a hypothetical example. It could be a license for an official INTV Funhouse game or an Oscar Meyer Weiner game -- it doesn't matter. I was just trying to illustrate that by "Exclusive" they mean a that the game will only be on the Intellivision Entertainment console. I'm sure we'll hear all about the cool licenses they do manage to land eventually. :D

Based on the expressed quality requirements for the games (at least a 7 out of 10 as Tommy Tallarico has stated in multiple interviews), it sounds like part of whatever contract is made to publish the game in the store will mandate at least some period of time during which the game would be available ​only on the Intellivision Entertainment console. It might be too much to ask for permanent​ exclusivity. Game publishers will of course have the option to accept such an exclusivity clause -- and put their game on the console -- or not. As has been mentioned, you could choose to publish a great game that is completely lost in the vast ocean of games for Android / iOS / Xbone, PS4, Windows 10 Mobile (ok, that last one is a joke) -- but the odds of the game even being noticed are small unless you're a major publisher willing to spend a lot​ of money to market the game. But being a really good game in the 'walled garden' of the Intellivision Entertainment System (for lack of a better name), I think the hook there will be greater visibility for your game. It's hoped that this "bigger fish, smaller pond" may be a great venue for smaller development houses or indie publishers to get noticed. Success on the Intellivision platform could become a great springboard to larger things for some publishers, others may opt to stay where they've found success -- it's really going to be fascinating to watch. If a few high profile success stories emerge, the sweet nectar of game creation success will draw more talent to the platform. Well, I imagine that's the Grand Vision.

Hey, Steve, Valter.

The plan is that new games for the system won't be available on other platforms. Those are the kind of deals being made with developers (of which there is quite a long list already, since we're making it easy to do both financially and development-wise). The new Night Stalker, the new Utopia, the new Cloudy Mountain will only be playable on the new Intellivision. Period.

Now when (notice I didn't say "if") a well known title that already exists on other platforms comes to the system, the Intellivision version will have to be a new version of that game - new levels, new game play elements, new enemies, etc. Something that makes it unique for the Intellivision. And yes, the "bigger fish / smaller pond" ideal is one of the reasons we are getting so much outside interest. I wish I could drop some names - you guys would be extremely surprised and delighted to hear them - but I can't... yet.

• Like 4

you have me 100% from your side. I totally share the philosophy of the next Intellivision

Hey, Steve, Valter.

The plan is that new games for the system won't be available on other platforms. Those are the kind of deals being made with developers (of which there is quite a long list already, since we're making it easy to do both financially and development-wise). The new Night Stalker, the new Utopia, the new Cloudy Mountain will only be playable on the new Intellivision. Period.

Now when (notice I didn't say "if") a well known title that already exists on other platforms comes to the system, the Intellivision version will have to be a new version of that game - new levels, new game play elements, new enemies, etc. Something that makes it unique for the Intellivision. And yes, the "bigger fish / smaller pond" ideal is one of the reasons we are getting so much outside interest. I wish I could drop some names - you guys would be extremely surprised and delighted to hear them - but I can't... yet.

Edited by vprette
  • Like 2

IMHO the new intellivision has the opportunity to focus on the gameplay instead of statistics and useless DLC and complex, annoying menu

if you can have a baseball or football WITHOUT licenses you avoid tons of statistic screens that family users do not care about, and you will have to invest time in the playability.

I think about world series baseball

this is FUN

I think about tecmo bowl

this is FUN

I am a moderate fan of baseball and football, but I ended playing this kind of games on playstation because of the endless minutes spent on setting and statistics that I do not care.... If intellivision will have the two above games available, I will play that!

this is an example of what I expect

Edited by vprette

The Intellivision Entertainment team includes two guys that each own a professional game development company. So in a sense they have first party game development capability. And you are correct, the main reason they have third party game developers, according to Tommy, is because they are paying them up front. They have investors, they have money. Edited by mr_me

Repeating what I've said on FB.....Sounds good and all, but the price point is the key. If they try to get $150-200 for this, immediate laughing stock. Consoles are largely dead.

What do you mean? Weren't console sales strong in 2017. Are you saying those sales will disappear in a couple of years.

Repeating what I've said on FB.....Sounds good and all, but the price point is the key. If they try to get $150-200 for this, immediate laughing stock. Consoles are largely dead.

Agree on the price point, but not on the 'consoles are largely dead' thing. *Modern* consoles, the big budget game/mainstream/ps4/xbox kind of devices are certainly merging into the PC/Media center market (finally), or expanding into the VR space. Who wants to pay $60 for a disk when you can get a better version of that on Steam for half price? People are also tired of their digital purchases vanishing when console specific online services go down.

Howver, I think there's a big market for cheap, retro/indie title friendly stuff ($100 and less). Contrary to the prediction that phones would become the new retrogaming devices, they haven't (because touch screen suck for old-school action games). The NES classic really brought these devices into the mainstream, and I think they'll be here to stay in some form for a long time. Gaming has basically eclipsed TV at this point.

The successful ones, like the Flashback series, have good modern interfaces but a retro design that honors the original console. This intellivision one seems to be following suit. Fingers crossed.

If they can get this at $150 or under, I don't think it will make them a laughing stock, especially if all of its games are $10 or less. However, if the console is $175+ and games go from $20 or so, you would be more right than wrong then. Still, hopefully they can deliver a cool system that would be good for the whole family. I am all about that, especially having an 8 year old running around the house.

Baseball like Earl Weaver Baseball I think would be great. As that was built on the remains of the Intellivision. One of my all time favorite games. I think player stats are a matter of public record and could be used. It doesn't have to interfere with game play or screen space. It can be there as an option to use.