IGNORED

Intellivision Entertainment launching a NEW Intellivision console

Rev

A new Intellivision! I think this is great news, and I signed up. I got into the first 100,000. I am so lucky! :-)
It's ironic that this is announced now, as I just managed to order my first (ever) Intellivision with 2 carts.
It's had quite a hard life I think, and it would never have found a home with a collector, but I am a player,
and perhaps later will be a developer. If there is a new machine, then this could be a happy coincidence!
Cheers, Richard / JustClaws.

I read some comments that are a little negative or dismissive. One thing about it we don't have to put any money into until it's finish and then we can still decide whether to purchase or not. So why not be excited and hopeful?

Edited by Chad
  • Like 3

Is the livestream being really choppy for you, or is that just my cell connection?

I just popped in ... looks like it is being recorded with a cell phone. About 173 people watching when I tuned in.

I'm curious but not enough to just watch a rant about it. I'd prefer some more organized information when they're ready to show it. I remain cautiously optimistic and hope it's a smarter play than some other retro-themed projects we've seen lately.

• Like 2

It's just Tommy Tallarico talking. Sounds like it will play original games, support homebrew, blah blah. Idk, what's the point with these? Just play the original hardware.

There are people that would like fresh, new, clean hardware that's trouble-free and readily available as opposed to spending hours on ebay sifting through expensive second-hand crap that's aging and prone to failure. Or even worse, buying flea-infested shit from craigslist or a garage sale.

• Like 5

I read some comments that are a little negative or dismissive. One thing about it we don't have to put any money into until it's finish and then we can still decide whether to purchase or not. So why not be excited and hopeful?

It's that way for all products, really, when they show up for sale in retail - that's when you buy them. Just like in the old days. It isn't rocket science, it isn't magic.

• Like 1

I watched pretty much the entire thing. I generally liked the rant, so I stayed tuned. Some highlights:

• There will be a disc controller, but it won't be the only controller
  • No keypad, but they hinted at a touchscreen
  • There will not be a cart slot
  • Games will be approved and need to meet a specific standard to be released on the system must meet criteria of Family, Fun, Simple . . .
  • Some older INTV games will be there at launch, but not all
  • Early focus seems to be on creating updated versions of the old games, Skiing and Night Stalker came up
  • It will NOT be crowd funded
  • Like 9

I watched pretty much the entire thing. I generally liked the rant, so I stayed tuned. Some highlights:

• Games will be approved and need to meet a specific standard to be released on the system must meet criteria of Family, Fun, Simple . . .
  • Early focus seems to be on creating updated versions of the old games, Skiing and Night Stalker came up

To bad about the no Cart slot... and I do like the new games must be approved and meet a specific standard...

Time will tell that's for sure but I am looking forward to it see what the final product will be and look like...

• Like 1

I'm not thrilled on seeing updated version of old games. Keep them all the same, but add options for an expanded world or more levels. Think Sea-Battle with a new map! Or Triple Action's bi-plane battle with an aerial refueling challenge stage.

As far as controllers go. I'd like to see a touchpad done modern-style, like an iPhone. This would allow for awesome on-demand overlays being sent to the controller. And it wouldn't cost much to replace the crappy old firebuttons and disc with versions made from modern materials and engineering. Something to increase reliability and tactile response.

Best of old school and new school!

Edited by Keatah

I watched it and I'm impressed by what I heard. Some of the games that cannot be brought back due to licensing issues I'm cool with that. Nobody wants to play Ginger Bread Kong I'm sure of.

Always wanted to play the Imagic stuff. Microsurgeon and Dracula. Hope it's possible.

That's where a cartridge port would be really, really nice. Modern hardware with contemporary video output would have me spending money on this for sure. All of the other features that have been mentioned sound nice, too, but I'd like to be able to rely on a new piece of equipment to play the titles that can be played only from a cartridge.

• Like 2

That's where a cartridge port would be really, really nice. Modern hardware with contemporary video output would have me spending money on this for sure. All of the other features that have been mentioned sound nice, too, but I'd like to be able to rely on a new piece of equipment to play the titles that can be played only from a cartridge.

Well Put mthompson..

I wonder if there is enough interest shown for a cartridge slot that the may have a change of mind.. It was mentioned that they would be listening and may consider ideas brought up from the community.

There was a mention that the notion of supporting a cartridge in some fashion is not impossible - it would be via an "expansion port". Now, that immediately brought something to mind that's already available and has a USB connector on it. Ideas, ideas, ideas.... But nothing more than ideas.

• Like 1

Most (if not all) of these new old-school consoles coming out are based on low-cost SoC implementations, either ARM, or X86 based.

This means these new consoles are ready to connect to the internet, and ready to run modern-day "apps" and especially remakes of old classics. These remakes of the old classics are written in a dumbed-down and bloated up modern langauge. That's why remakes are so heavily pushed. The skill of using real assembly language has faded to smaller-than-niche. And not many developers know how to properly program small code. So, again, bloated remake!

Also, nothing even remotely resembling the original chipset from the vintage 70's/80's consoles is being made any more. So, yes, SoC! And that mean E*M*U*L*A*T*I*O*N. Hey!! Hey!! And that means that playing original cartridges would require a simple dumper peripheral, and THAT means limited compatibility not going much beyond original releases. No fancy flash carts or expanded bank-switched carts.

Reading the cartridge into the emulator real-time would need better programming skills. Likely beyond what these tiny projects' budgets can afford.

And there we are.

Plus

• Wifi enabled with an app store and leader boards
  • Includes 60 to 80 of the legacy games
  • New version of Shark Shark ( I called it :lol:)
  • At least 30 games at launch (7 to 10 will be free and "part of the box")
  • "Live or die by the amazing games available on day one launch"
  • "Not going to compete with Sony, M$ or Nintendo"
  • Not going to stream Netflix
  • "Focused on fun, simple, amazing games that everyone can enjoy"
  • "Every single game on the system will be exclusive in some way"
  • No ports from other systems
  • Internal 1st party developer team
  • "Possible for 3 people in a dorm room to make a AAA game for the system"
  • Graphics equivalent to mobile phones
  • "Everything to be 2D ... no 3D worlds"
  • Wants to welcome Intellivision homebrewers to the platform
  • "Stricter quality control than any other system before us"
  • "On a scale of 1 to 10, all games will be 7 or above"
  • No in game purchases or DLC
  • No physical media
  • Games will cost under $10, closer to $5/$7

I stopped listening about half way through. Most of of it sounds very much like the Retro VGS spiel (especially the QC aspect) mixed with the online app store Ouya concept. Based on the game price point and the limitations listed above, I don't think there will be any of the big companies making games for the system. The user base will be way too small and every single owner will have to buy the title to make it a success. Thats made even worse by mandating that games should be "exclusive" to the system. Guys, learn from the Ouya and Retro VGS and don't make those system killer mistakes.

• Like 1

Adding cartridge support to a software emulator is essentially adding a cartridge dumper and playing the rom from computer ram. Since they say it's difficult to dump some Intellivision homebrew cartridges it wouldn't be 100% compatible like Keetah says.

If you have original equipment, you're set but if you don't the prices of working Intellivisions are going up as time goes by. And getting it to work with new TV's can be iffy. One day someone will make an fpga Intellivision replacement with hdmi and 100% cartridge support, but it won't be cheap.

It seems like the legacy Intellivision support in this new console is secondary. They are going after the non-gamer market, e.g. grandparents, children. Everyone who has no interest in xbox and playstation. And that means new games. They won't release this thing without a library of new games that they are happy with.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1