IGNORED

a couple ibm gameport to 5200 adapters

bohoki

I have a 15 pin Quickshot flightstick ("Intruder") which cannot get properly centered (even with trim adjustments) on the 5200 when used with the PC 15 pin to 5200 controller adapter. I thought the controller was defective, but then I found another Intruder and it has the exact same problem. I think these work on a PC okay, but just aren't suited for use on the 5200.

Probably the same situation as your flight yoke.

Thanks so much, I give up trying to make this one work.....not a super controller anyways.... thanks a lot!

Edited by alortegac
  • Like 1

i notice on some suncom sticks with autofire it draws too much current in a pulsing manor does the direction kind of pulse?

i know this isnt really proper but i am thinking of selling my 2 experimental joysticks i made a while ago

$50 each delivered i know that sounds high but the joysticks were from an romstar arcade control panel i bought for like $30 so thats $15 eaqch just for the sticks then there is like the $5 each for the number pad a couple bucks for the pots and knobs and i dont know if you have shopped around for rainbow ribbon wire but its not cheap either and its going to cost me $15 to ship (side button one ,or bottom button one)

T8xrdzr.jpg

Edited by bohoki
  • Like 1

does the adapter work properly with other controllers it may be faulty as they are haphazardly constructed out of poor materials

I have a 15 pin Quickshot flightstick ("Intruder") which cannot get properly centered (even with trim adjustments) on the 5200 when used with the PC 15 pin to 5200 controller adapter. I thought the controller was defective, but then I found another Intruder and it has the exact same problem. I think these work on a PC okay, but just aren't suited for use on the 5200.

Probably the same situation as your flight yoke.

does the adapter work properly with other controllers it may be faulty as they are haphazardly constructed out of poor materials

I saw one of these at the thrift store very cheap and grabbed it and checked it out tonight. It looks like it needs 68 nF caps on each axis rather than 220 nF and you are right that the trims do practically nothing. You will need to put a 200-500kohm pot in line with the x-axis to adjust to center, possibly a 200kohm pot on the y-axis also, to trim. The positioning and sensitivity is okay but not terribly solid. I think the "for professional players" is kind of misleading. The SunCom G-Force Plus is a much more solid and sensitive flight yoke. Ave1 and Bohoki might know of a good yoke if you want a push-pull vertical yoke that works well. The Quickshot can be altered to work, though.

On the plus side, it has VERY good suction cups on the bottom and the rapid-fire works well.

• Like 1

i notice on some suncom sticks with autofire it draws too much current in a pulsing manor does the direction kind of pulse?

i know this isnt really proper but i am thinking of selling my 2 experimental joysticks i made a while ago

$50 each delivered i know that sounds high but the joysticks were from an romstar arcade control panel i bought for like $30 so thats $15 eaqch just for the sticks then there is like the $5 each for the number pad a couple bucks for the pots and knobs and i dont know if you have shopped around for rainbow ribbon wire but its not cheap either and its going to cost me $15 to ship (side button one ,or bottom button one)

T8xrdzr.jpg

Can you post pictures of the insides please?

Well, I know it works with the dpad on my PS2 dual shock unless you turn analog on, because I have tried it, but you can do what you want.

Okay thank you for telling me that. I wasn't sure if the nature of using a PS2 controler to 15 Pin required analog becuase 15-pin is natively analog or not. I never got a good answer to that question. But with the labor of the digital-to-analog technology already built into the joypad, all it needs is $16 worth of labor. $2 apiece for wiring N, S, E, W, Top, Bottom, Pause, and Ground. Also the buttons don’t map right I need X as bottom and O as top. With hand wiring, I can have it that way.

1) How much does a PS2-> 15-pin adapter cost? Can it beat $16 worth of labor?

2) How well does the D-pad behave on games where analogness is not a factor and would be better as a digital 5200 game?

3) I assume it has the 141% error of diagonals, which for most digital games isn’t a factor, but for a few 4-way games would be a factor, like Vanguard, Qix, Popeye, Mountain King, Frogger, and Frogger II Threedeep, and that should be easily correctable with a 4-Way/8-Way physical restrictor.

T8xrdzr.jpg

This must be made by someone who never played Pre-Crash video games, because it’s obviously left haded and 90% of the pre-crash population preferred right handed sticks, and the left handed stick standard was a bright idea to increase money from one arcade owner by shortening games, and news spread until it became the default all around the world.

Now that the world is WAY more home based and not arcade based, there’s no more conflict of interest of arcade owner, who wants to shorten games, and players, who want to perform well. Now that there are very few to no arcade owners who are the direct customers, the balance of power has now shift to players being direct customers, instead of indirect ones, and you'd think the right handed joystick would come back in vogue, or even ambidexterity, if not industry wide, then at least one maker.

On the pre-crash home market, there were ambi 2600 sticks, Lefty adapters, and new systems were designed with ambidexterity in mind. Then when Nintendo domiated the home market, they thought their left handed sticks were preferred. They never questioned it.

There was a company who was advertising better scores with their right handed and ambidextrous joysticks, Beeshu. They applied for a Nintendo license, but didn’t get it because Nintendo thought they were a cheap rip off of the NES Advantage and wanted all accessory sales for itself unless it was something unique Nintendo wasn't interested in like the Arkanoid Vaus Paddle. They didn’t budge until the Genesis and Turbo Grafx came out, both of whom licensed Beeshu’s ambi sticks for THEIR systems. Even with 2 buttons there were problems with button mapping that had to be adjusted with controller options. Try playing Side Arms, Pac Land, or Tutankham with a "mainly right handed buttons" with mirrored lefts. More buttons exasperated the problems more. Every game had to be totally customizable with buttons, either in the Joystick OS which wasn’t invented until the Dreamcast Alloy Stick, and even then it wasn’t tourney legal because it wasn’t cheat-proof, or the game system OS, which wasn’t compensated for until Xbox One, or all individual games, which most game makers didn’t consider, and sometimes even throw a monkey wrench in because of their Arcade first mentality.

With Gamers being the more direct customers of game comapnies than they were in the arcade games, shouldn’t it shift to bemore consumer friendly? Not having all joysticks be left handed? Beeshu was the last mass market company to offer ambidextrous sticks, and that was in response to the overcontrolling licensing of Nintendo, which got killed by the Genesis and a US court ruling.

And those Beeshu sticks were better controllers than the NES Advantage, even if you play left handed, with a real clicky arcade joystick, not a mushy rocker stick. And right-handedness made them stand out even more.

Edited by tripletopper

• 2 weeks later...

T8xrdzr.jpg

You still have one available? I wwill buy it if you do. Since it looks like you sold one already. Edited by leech