IGNORED

Atari CX-40 joystick won't move up on 2600 Jr.'s left controller port.

The Mr. Video

Hi, I found a strange problem with my Atari CX-40 joystick. Where moving the stick up doesn't do anything on my Atari 2600 Jr. The odd part is that it works fine on both the right controller port and other systems I've tested it on, except the Atari 600xl, which experiences the same problem as the 2600 Jr.

Edited by The Mr. Video

Have you tested other joysticks with these systems? That's an easy way to rule out a problem with the controller ports.

If you're seeing the same problem with the same joystick on two different systems, my first surmisal is that the joystick cable is faulty. It might be a touchy connection that works only sometimes; perhaps when you plugged it into the other systems, you inserted the connector or flexed the cable in a different way, allowing it to make contact. Try replacing the joystick cable and see if that eliminates the problem.

• Like 1

The CX20 is the Driving Controller. Do you mean CX40 or CX10?

I mean the CX40. The driving controllers work fine on it.

Have you tested other joysticks with these systems? That's an easy way to rule out a problem with the controller ports.

If you're seeing the same problem with the same joystick on two different systems, my first surmisal is that the joystick cable is faulty. It might be a touchy connection that works only sometimes; perhaps when you plugged it into the other systems, you inserted the connector or flexed the cable in a different way, allowing it to make contact. Try replacing the joystick cable and see if that eliminates the problem.

I have tried other joysticks with both systems, and they work as normal.

• Like 1

After a bit more testing, I've came to the conclusion that the joystick has a faulty cable. Anybody know where to get a replacement cable?

Hmmmmmm.......it may be the cable or it COULD be that the dome of the PCB INSIDE the stick may have a dome that slipped off the contact, check the PCB to be sure, this way you can for SURE eliminate the PCB as a problem. Take a known GOOD PCB from another stick and connect it up to the cable of the faulty joystick. If all positions work it is the PCB itself. To be on the safe side though if I was you if it IS the PCB, replace both the PCB and the inner white handle as those nubs can wear down too and not make full contact with the domes

Checking the PCB is a good idea, too. It never hurts to check every possibility.

Replacement PCBs are fairly easy to come by, but after a quick check of the usual sources (Best Electronics, B&C ComputerVisions, etc.), it seems that the supply of original Atari joystick cable replacements is drying up. There are third-party cables available, but the wire colors do not match the originals, and they lack the clips and strain relief boots of the originals, so they are a bit more work to use.

I assume cx10 or cx40, LOL.

If it works in player one port, I'd say the port two is bad in some way. Maybe cracked solder, or a bad chip?. If it works the same in port one, the controller is the fault, again, cracked solder, or a bad/missing dome, or the cable could be broken.

Hmmmmmm.......it may be the cable or it COULD be that the dome of the PCB INSIDE the stick may have a dome that slipped off the contact, check the PCB to be sure, this way you can for SURE eliminate the PCB as a problem. Take a known GOOD PCB from another stick and connect it up to the cable of the faulty joystick. If all positions work it is the PCB itself. To be on the safe side though if I was you if it IS the PCB, replace both the PCB and the inner white handle as those nubs can wear down too and not make full contact with the domes

I kinda doubt that it's the PCB, as I have to mess with the cable to get the up contact to work. I would still try using another PCB, but I don't have another PCB to test with.

I kinda doubt that it's the PCB, as I have to mess with the cable to get the up contact to work. I would still try using another PCB, but I don't have another PCB to test with.

I always go by process of elimination, after all you DID say that the cable itself worked as it was supposed to on other systems, which could mean it's either the inside PCB or maybe one of the 9 pins of the joystick port are bent slightly

Checking the PCB is a good idea, too. It never hurts to check every possibility.

Replacement PCBs are fairly easy to come by, but after a quick check of the usual sources (Best Electronics, B&C ComputerVisions, etc.), it seems that the supply of original Atari joystick cable replacements is drying up. There are third-party cables available, but the wire colors do not match the originals, and they lack the clips and strain relief boots of the originals, so they are a bit more work to use.

You mean THESE cables? I got 'em! ;)

post-2131-0-29158200-1527954681.jpg

post-2131-0-59926500-1527954699.jpg

I always go by process of elimination, after all you DID say that the cable itself worked as it was supposed to on other systems, which could mean it's either the inside PCB or maybe one of the 9 pins of the joystick port are bent slightly

I'm pretty sure the joystick worked on those purely because I just so happened to have the cable positioned right when I tested them before making this thread. In fact, I just tested the CX40 on the 600xl again and got it work fine as long as I have it positioned right.

So, it looks like the cable is the problem ... and it looks like RichG1972 has the solution! The cables that he shows in the pictures are a drop-in replacement for the originals; after removing the old cable, just thread the new wires through the joystick base, clip them to the PCB, and snap the strain relief boot in place! Couldn't be easier.

So, it looks like the cable is the problem ... and it looks like RichG1972 has the solution! The cables that he shows in the pictures are a drop-in replacement for the originals; after removing the old cable, just thread the new wires through the joystick base, clip them to the PCB, and snap the strain relief boot in place! Couldn't be easier.

Easier than staying married, and slicker than eloping, these cables swap out in seconds. I usually have a supply handy whenever I encounter cables that look like they was held together by duct tape, electrical tape o spit and bailing wire. In other cases I have seen sticks with the plug dangling and the colored wires exposed at the plug end. I have since done 2 in this condition.

I'm pretty sure the joystick worked on those purely because I just so happened to have the cable positioned right when I tested them before making this thread. In fact, I just tested the CX40 on the 600xl again and got it work fine as long as I have it positioned right.

Tee-hee! :D

post-2131-0-74026800-1528094410.jpg

If the cable does turn out to be the culprit, I'd be all too happy to supply the replacement :)

• Like 1

Were you able to determine if indeed it IS the cable? If so I can spare a cable since they are hard to get

It's possible the controller plug is damaged. Inside it has pinch clips to touch the connectors, and if one is damaged, it may make intermittent contact, working on some consoles, or in certain positions, but not others.

As bad as I'm aware, this can't be fixed, so a new cable is the only real option. Their easy to replace though.

It's possible the controller plug is damaged. Inside it has pinch clips to touch the connectors, and if one is damaged, it may make intermittent contact, working on some consoles, or in certain positions, but not others.

As bad as I'm aware, this can't be fixed, so a new cable is the only real option. Their easy to replace though.

*They're :P

• 1 month later...