IGNORED

NES Ninja Gaiden question: Is it cheating?

Perhaps nobody cares, lol. Probably the case! I honestly think it was a programming oversight rather than an omission from the manual...even though the latter makes more logical sense.

Or perhaps it was something programmed intentionally? Not everything has to be in the damn manual.

• Like 1

Didn't know this was a secret/easter egg thing. I found that out way back in the day along with small with firepower. My guess it was an oversight.

I don't think its cheating as you are doing a move as you would normally be doing without that special equipped. Does it function the same way in the SNES remake?.l

I don't know why you would think it's a programming oversight. Why would they force you to waste your energy every time you attack while jumping? I think they just did it this way because they wanted it to be automatic - they found holding up to execute the attack while jumping to be a bit awkward. But they still programmed a way to opt out.

Yes, it does.

Earlier tonight I fired up the SNES version (which oddly enough I had completely forgotten about), and yes, it functions the same way. I would say that this strongly points to an intentional inclusion. But...and only a small but, this remake is so damn close to the original, it's as if only the graphics and music were updated...the gameplay is almost exactly like the NES version, from my limited playing of the first two levels. What I'm trying to say is that if was an error, and the SNES version didn't bother 'fixing' it, then it followed through to the new version. But I'd say it's highly unlikely.

I don't know why you would think it's a programming oversight. Why would they force you to waste your energy every time you attack while jumping? I think they just did it this way because they wanted it to be automatic - they found holding up to execute the attack while jumping to be a bit awkward. But they still programmed a way to opt out.

Why would they do it? You...you HAVE played NES games, right? :D Tactics like that happened all the time back in the day. And while I'm sure some of you here legit found out about this feature on your own, nobody in my considerably large gaming circle did. And that included some players far more talented than myself. It was only when we read about it as a cheat in an issue of GamePro (along with the secret to access the soundtrack) did we learn about it. I immediately knew that it was a game breaker, considering how useful the spin attack is (not only for bosses, but for certain jumps that will make you pull your hair out without it). It's still not the easiest thing to do, especially if you want to do it during a jump (pressing down midair and attack, usually you just end up doing a spin attack anyway).

But to think of it, like somebody mentioned, ducking a slashing is a 'technique' useful for defeating almost all the bosses anyways, so...I'm probably just overthinking it. I know I'm overthinking it.

I'm certain if they did include it in the manual back then, the game wouldn't have been nearly the ferocious beast to finish that it was. Gaiden always had a rep of being tough to beat. At least we had unlimited continues :D