IGNORED

600XL not seeing Sio2SD

dougal22

My 600XL works fine in the sense it reads carts fine and the XC12 tape drive works perfectly, but it won't read the Sio2SD. It just goes straight to Basic and if I hold option straight to Self Test. Its like nothing is plugged in.

The PSU is good (perfect 5 volts) and I tried the Sio2SD on my 65XE and it works perfectly on that.

The 600XL is stock except for I upgraded the ram from 16kb to 64kb by changing the x2 ram chips and performing the simple mod. Ram check passes fine and I loaded up 48K games from cassette and they run perfectly.

SIO2SD has LCD screen with letters or black? Do you have good prepared SD Card with ATARI folder on it?

Bought from for example from lotharek or DIY version. Which firmware version? Fuse bits set properly?

Edited by lemiel

Does the SIO2SD work on another machine?

Edit: oops you already answered that.

Curious to know if you see any indication the sio2sd powers up.

Yes it works on the 65XE.

On the 600XL the Sio2SD powers on just like on the 65XE and I can go through its functions fine but the XL just boots up to basic.

Check for bent or missing SIO connector pins, then swap POKEY if possible. The cassette protocol is somewhat different to the disk protocol, so working tapes are no guarantee that POKEY is free of problems.

I had a 1200XL that acted similarly. The SIO2SD lit up and could read text on LCD, but no boot. Just acted like it wasn't plugged in. Turned out to be an issue with POKEY. I think I had a super thin solder flake wedge under the POKEY and it was shorting two pins. A quick check to eliminate something like this is if you have another device (1050?). If the other drive boots, its not what I'm thinking. If other devices won't boot either, its likely something wrong with PIN 5 on the SIO (DATA OUT) to the pin 28 on the POKEY (serial data out).

Edited by ACML

Really? It's socketed and 600XLs aren't that common. Top-end POKEY prices are around £15-20, but you can get them cheaper.

Really ? Any links ? Because on ebay they are like 25-30 pounds. - BTW I was not going to scrap it, just put it on the back-burner :)

Really ? Any links ? Because on ebay they are like 25-30 pounds. - BTW I was not going to scrap it, just put it on the back-burner :)

Best has them for $20, but I'm not sure where you're located.

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/custom-i.htm

PIA is worth checking as well for the reasons mentioned, and there's one of those on eBay UK for £7.99.

I had done the 64K mod (see pic) but my soldering skills are not the best. The 64K mod works fine first time and I think I did a neat job and no shorts or loose wires or anything. I was very careful.

Since my skills are not the best the two wires that had to be soldered to points on the board were too close for me to do so I soldered one of them direct to the leg of the chip as pictured. That leg was on the same line as I checked using a continuity tester to check, Again no shorting of any legs or wires and tested to make sure. As I said the mod works fine, passed the self test and games of 48K and above work fine.

I wouldn't imagine its the cause but thought I'd mention it anyway.

post-24042-0-09122700-1528224480_thumb.jpg

Ok I checked what I believe to be pin 28 on the POKEY and what I believe to be pin 5 on the SIO and there is a connection. I also re-seated the Pokey after cleaning with alcohol underneath it although it was clean. No difference.

Yes, you will have continuity, but that is not the only check. I believe in the "idle" state, those pins should be 5 VDC (high). Did you check them at "idle"? If you just did a continuity check, check the voltage to see if you get 5 VDC (nothing plugged in the SIO port). If you get zero or something significantly less than 5 VDC, there is possibly some short in the line (parallel or branching off path ).

Edited by ACML

Ok I checked what I believe to be pin 28 on the POKEY and what I believe to be pin 5 on the SIO and there is a connection. I also re-seated the Pokey after cleaning with alcohol underneath it although it was clean. No difference.

Just a hint: There´s a 100R resistor in the lines from POKEY to SIO. So if you use a standard DMM, it might not "beep" for pass. Some DMM confirms a pass only when the resistance is below 30 ohms or so. Use resistor measurement, set DMM to <2k and then you should read something around 100R.

• 3 weeks later...