IGNORED

Upmonster (f.k.a. The Pit)

So a version of Doodle Jump for the Atari 2600 made me wonder if I could program something similar for the Odyssey 2. While I can't due to the fact that it scrolls up and I don't know how to make it scroll upwards yet, I have made a sort-of-Doodle-Jump called "The Pit." In this game, when you jump on a platform, it disappears and another one pops up somewhere on the screen. Right now I have 3 platforms that each do just that. While it was fun trying to code such a thing, I'm feeling that it's missing something (well, besides the score), that would make it more fun. Any suggestions? I have attached a binary for trying out.

jump4.bin

• 1 month later...

I hate life.

I am trying to make it so instances like in the picture shown don't happen because if they do on a real Odyssey2 machine, it glitches when characters (in this case platforms) overlap or get near each other.

post-9475-0-46435800-1533501087.png

And I am having a very difficult time trying to do this. What I want to try to do is check both the platform above and below for possible closeness. And I can't. This is the code I have now. (times 5, one for each platform).

platform1y
    mov    r1,#platform1y
    mov a,t
    anl a,#007h  
    add a,#020h
    movx @r1,a    

platform1x
    mov    r0,#platform1x
    mov a,t
    anl a,#02fh  
    add a,#028h
    movx @r0,a    

check_for_closeness_1
    mov r1,#platform5y
    movx a,@r1        
    mov r1,a
    add a,#240    
    cpl a
    mov r7,a        ; store in R7

mov r0,#platform1y
    mov a,@r0
    add a,r7
    jc do_i_make_platform_1_disappear

put_platform_1_on_screen
    mov    r0,#vdc_char0

mov r1,#platform1x
    movx a,@r1        
    mov r3,a            

mov r1,#platform1y
    movx a,@r1        
    mov r4,a    

call print_platform    

ret

do_i_make_platform_1_disappear
    mov r1,#platform2y
    movx a,@r1        
    mov r1,a
    add a,#16    
    cpl a
    mov r7,a        ; store in R7    

mov r0,#platform1y
    mov a,@r0
    add a,r7
    jnc skip_repositioning    

mov        a,#tune_select  ; warn me that it happened.
    call     playsound

mov r0,#platform1x
    movx a,@r0
    mov a,#202
    movx @r0,a    

skip_repositioning
    jmp put_platform_1_on_screen

What do I need to do to do this correctly?!

Edited by atari2600land

• 3 months later...

I'm running the latest version (jump18a) and find it far too difficult to control. It's a pretty neat concept, but he falls far too quickly in addition to being too sensitive when pressing left/right. It makes it very difficult to time the jumps properly. My high score is 8 after 20 or so tries. :(

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

I came back to working on this. Rafael helped a lot with designing stuff and now it looks like this:

jjump33.png.e75a9af4d4c3de6b454521e8dd255d08.png

The name of the game got changed from "The Pit" to "Upmonster." I took the red rock thing out of the game. Now we have just different types of yellow fruit. This first one is a lemon. You'll have to play the game to figure out what the other three are. So now the peril of the game is moving upwards with platforms that scroll down as the player moves up. I spent almost the whole weekend just working on this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, atari2600land said:

I came back to working on this. Rafael helped a lot with designing stuff and now it looks like this:

jjump33.png.e75a9af4d4c3de6b454521e8dd255d08.png

The name of the game got changed from "The Pit" to "Upmonster." I took the red rock thing out of the game. Now we have just different types of yellow fruit. This first one is a lemon. You'll have to play the game to figure out what the other three are. So now the peril of the game is moving upwards with platforms that scroll down as the player moves up. I spent almost the whole weekend just working on this.

This looks great!!

On 1/23/2022 at 9:48 PM, atari2600land said:

The name of the game got changed from "The Pit" to "Upmonster."

Btw I think that since you're an AA Subscriber you can change the original name of this thread to reflect the new title of the game. If you weren't a subscriber, I believe you would have had to ask a mod for special access to change it. 

13 minutes ago, atari2600land said:

I can't. There's no "edit" option for me in post #1.

Ah you know what, I think there's a time limit on that ability, come to think of it. It's much longer as a subscriber, but still has a clock on it. @jaybird3rd would you or another moderator kindly give the OP edit access on his original post of this thread? Thanks!

• Like 1