IGNORED

Gyruss for Intellivision?

That's exactly what happens if you stop using the trademark. [but you're right, the Parker Brothers name is still used.]

What makes you think they did? This wasn't a pedantic academic point, like what you try to turn it into; the artwork, brand and logo used in the Gyruss box is all owned by someone who actively uses and enforces those trademarks.

-dZ.

What makes you think they did? This wasn't a pedantic academic point, like what you try to turn it into; the artwork, brand and logo used in the Gyruss box is all owned by someone who actively uses and enforces those trademarks.

-dZ.

I'm just talking about the Parker Brothers trademark. It is on new board games; but that may not mean it's protected for use on video games. When I originally posted, I wasn't sure it was in use at all since Wikipedia describes the name as defunct since 2009. That shows you can't trust Wikipedia.

It might be a closed group, but you can message this person to order:

https://www.facebook.com/dino.yachaya

He looks too suave in his Facebook profile pic for me to message him.

EDIT: I posted the above comment before reading the entire thread, but I just did that, and...

...my joke still stands, but I need to add: Wow, what a douche!

Edited by nurmix

I have heard that some people that managed to purchase a copy of Gyruss have been refunded.

Anyone able confirm here?

I was refunded. Here is his comment:

Hi, For unclear and to be defined reasons the sales for Gyruss game has been canceled. You have already the repayment by paypal.

That's precisely what you say in order to diffuse a situation and convince those that are still on the fence about the whole thing (of which we have seen there are a few in this forum), that it's morally OK to continue supporting him.

-dZ.

Hard to TRUMP that response.

Well , that's the way its going to be , Homebrew ,Publishers, and others who make and sale (intellivision) things will be buying each others products or only people with deep pockets but for the common person or collector things are getting out of reach and hand... ;) I know I know its a free market yes just saying it how it seems to be and it is trending...

It's one of the reasons I don't like cartridges and boxes anymore, because of all the jockeying for position and limited sales and high costs. Especially the limited editions - games I know I could never get!

• Like 1

It's one of the reasons I don't like cartridges and boxes anymore, because of all the jockeying for position and limited sales and high costs. Especially the limited editions - games I know I could never get!

Even worst when you get them and you discover that you have paid for a free game with titles changed

• Like 1

More and more of this community will be choosing to do this... The Day of buying every release is over for the common folks/collectors around here. Quality ,Fun Value , and price of games will dictate.. Not the completest mentality anymore..

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/275621-astro-invader-coming-soon-for-the-intellivision/?p=4018299

Even worst when you get them and you discover that you have paid for a free game with titles changed

Well, let's be honest, most collectors will just put it up on a shelf and not care what's inside. Note up-thread about my complaint of someone purchasing a game which is available for free, and has someone else's dedication on the box. :P

More and more of this community will be choosing to do this... The Day of buying every release is over for the common folks/collectors around here. Quality ,Fun Value , and price of games will dictate.. Not the completest mentality anymore..

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/275621-astro-invader-coming-soon-for-the-intellivision/?p=4018299

Yeah, but that just encourages publishers to offer more "special edition" exclusives, to ensure they can extract more money from less people.

-dZ.

Well, let's be honest, most collectors will just put it up on a shelf and not care what's inside. Note up-thread about my complaint of someone purchasing a game which is available for free, and has someone else's dedication on the box. :P

Yeah, but that just encourages publishers to offer more "special edition" exclusives, to ensure they can extract more money from less people.

-dZ.

That may be the case but soon that option will be exhausted as well,you only can take so much blood from someone before they have nothing more to give.

Straight to the shelf mentality affects quality and fun value of new games being released thats for sure.

Why should publishers care what or quality of the games being produced when the straight to the shelf mentality is or has become a common practice amount the new homebrew purchase.

But like I have mentioned we are lucky to have new games being produced for the intellivision and all the choices of games being released.

Purchase habits by a us will dictate what quality,bug free, and fun value of games being produced and released.

The Consumer can dictate change by our purchase habits.

Cheers

G

As long as there are programmers attracted to the platform for the fun and thrill of making games, we're good. It just means we'll have a lot more ROMs to download than CIB games. And that's probably a good thing. :)

-dZ.

• Like 1

I'm a bit surprised that nobody has stepped in and made a rogue CIB version of Grail of the Gods, a game that was intended as an evening programming exercise (or perhaps a lunch break programming exercise if your name is Nanochess) and grew slightly with custom graphics, sounds and music. A number of people were asking for a such copy, and in the light of the current event it would not have surprised me if anyone came out with a CIB version of that game. Of course the code in published state requires JLP memory as featured in the LTO Flash! which might prevent luck seekers from gaining a buck, unless it is reprogrammed to squeeze into the internal RAM.

I'm a bit surprised that nobody has stepped in and made a rogue CIB version of Grail of the Gods, a game that was intended as an evening programming exercise (or perhaps a lunch break programming exercise if your name is Nanochess) and grew slightly with custom graphics, sounds and music. A number of people were asking for a such copy, and in the light of the current event it would not have surprised me if anyone came out with a CIB version of that game. Of course the code in published state requires JLP memory as featured in the LTO Flash! which might prevent luck seekers from gaining a buck, unless it is reprogrammed to squeeze into the internal RAM.

Never heard of "Grail of the Gods."

In case the thread gets pushed further down in the future, here is a direct link:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/275233-grail-of-the-gods-rogue-like-or-mini-rpg/

Most of the ROMs published in the programming section tend to be WIP versions anyway, so perhaps not so interesting for rogue publishers. Then again Deep Zone Gorf also is a WIP, but obviously considered complete enough for someone trying to make money on it before the developer is satisfied about it being a final version.

That's precisely what you say in order to diffuse a situation and convince those that are still on the fence about the whole thing (of which we have seen there are a few in this forum), that it's morally OK to continue supporting him.

-dZ.

We'll have to agree to disagree about my intent here. As a developer I'd find it utterly revolting to have someone misuse my code. The fact he thought it was OK adds even more horror. Don't know how much stronger I can make that point.

We'll have to agree to disagree about my intent here. As a developer I'd find it utterly revolting to have someone misuse my code. The fact he thought it was OK adds even more horror. Don't know how much stronger I can make that point.

I think we agree more than you perhaps realize. I believe you misunderstood my comment. When I said "that's precisely what you'd say...", I actually meant what someone like that Dino guy would say: to wit, that he thought it was open source and up for the taking, and that he didn't know that it wasn't OK to reuse it.

That is what someone would say if they want to dupe others into giving him the benefit of the doubt, and legitimize their interactions.

• Like 1

I think we agree more than you perhaps realize. I believe you misunderstood my comment. When I said "that's precisely what you'd say...", I actually meant what someone like that Dino guy would say: to wit, that he thought it was open source and up for the taking, and that he didn't know that it wasn't OK to reuse it.

That is what someone would say if they want to dupe others into giving him the benefit of the doubt, and legitimize their interactions.

Oops! Sorry about that. Leave it to me to misunderstand a misunderstanding! The guy tried to get back into nanochess's Facebook Intellivision group and he started messaging me. Guess I was more irritated than I thought :P

Hello everyone, I'm Dino and I would like to explain what happened in the accident Gyruss.

First of all I also want to apologize publicly with Arturo Ragozini, in the game of Gyruss even if in open source it was used too much of its code and was not asked for a legitimate permission that justly deserved.
This happened due to our gross negligence, we thought because there was no type of restriction from the resource that could be used and modified to do anything, unfortunately it was not so ', also we did not understand that the game of deep space it was work in progress and it was part of a contest, as we said we were beginners and the unwary.
It is true that a lot of work has been done by us to make the game of Gyruss, really many hours of work, and there are differences in the game, but it is undeniable that it arises from the intellect and ability to program Arturo Ragozini, therefore also in Italian "scusa Arturo".
Also I want to clarify that the video I saw on the net does not represent the game worked by us.
I sadly read that more than one person gave me the thief and the dishonest, this is not absolutely true, in fact once the situation has happened I have repaid who I had, no copy of Gyruss has been distributive and no will be distributed, not even in a secret way as it happened in the past for some games.
The spirit for which Gyruss was made stems from my idea of ​​trying to participate actively in the Intellivision world and for the passion I bring for this console, I am a collector, not a producer, and this is due to mistakes that I did, but I guarantee you that everything that has been done is born only from the enthusiasm I had to do something of my own.

Dino

If the original project was open source you would be perfectly free to distribute it. You would also have to share the souce code of your project and any changes you made. However, as you realised, you would need an open source license from the author, otherwise it's piracy. Back in the early 1980s IBM openly published the listing of the bios software in their IBM PC. Anyone could easily use that to create a PC compatible. IBM also mercilessly sued anyone that did.

I don't understand how you didn't see that it was a work still in progress.

Also I want to clarify that the video I saw on the net does not represent the game worked by us.

I cannot accept your apologies.

Let's start from the statement above: do you mean that the game in that video is not from you? Who has given me that video is quite sure it is from you (sent in November)...

Or do you mean that the video is different from the game you have in the boxes, but still it is from you ?

At this point your video on youtube with a full game play would not be sufficient.

I want to see what you was going to sell.

Send a closed box of "your" cartridge to my premise or to the administrators of this website, right now, today.

In this way it will be clear if "your" Gyruss is the same game in the video I have received and, if not, how close it is to the WIP betas of Deep Zone.

Be aware, if the game in the box is the one in the video, I will evaluate legal actions against you.

I cannot accept more lies.

Edited by artrag

I deeply regret that you do not accept the apology Arturo, when a sincere person apologizes and does everything to repair a situation and can do it normally the excuses are accepted.

Given that as already 'widely said I'm not going to sell Gyruss and the game is totally and permanently withdrawn from sales, not even a copy has been distributed, I do not understand where the problem remains.
Who put the video on the network (Pascal Bernard), had a few minutes of the beta test at the beginning of processing, as I told you and worked from a code of your game so it's normal that it is similar or if you prefer to say initially the same.
However I repeat and then really at least on my part I do not want to be questioned and would be liked by an intelligent person as I believe you can be, that the story is closed here, the game does not exist anymore and I do not need to send anything to anyone nothing is to prove if not distributed.