IGNORED

2600 picture quality

liveinabin

I've just got hold of a 2600jr (the all-black Irish model) and, on testing it, I noticed it had a MUCH better picture than my original woody VCS, is my old vcs just nackered or is there another hardware reason for this?

• 1 month later...

Ah yeah, we in PAL world have very different connectors to you guys. But on the woodgrain, yeah - the video lead (that goes to TV) is soldered into the unit. Hmm, I'd like to do a composite mod for it but I'm pretty sure that all the guides for this are for NTSC machines only.

(not sure if theres any difference, My US gamecube works on my PAL tv with composite input) Any help on how to do that on a PAL system would be great

liveinabin: That's a CANADIAN GameCube!

Is the aerial lead soldered onto the board at the same spot that the RCA jack is featured on the NTSC VCS? I am assuming you've looked at images of the VCS internals...

I'm only asking out of curiosity, because I have no PAL information myself.

I am still waiting for a solution for NTSC A/V mods. Apparently Chris Wilkson will be producing a kit, but I haven't heard anything about it for a long time.

I was successful at modding a Jr. about 5 years ago, but then I sold it.

Hehe, sorry - I was just getting into the American spirit by rubbishing or at least ignoring Canada

I've heard all sorts of conflicting things about the differences between PAL and NTSC ataris. I'll leave it till I know for sure

er..well - I don't have a digital camera so it might be a while before I can justify any 'real' film on it. But..yeah, sure.

Heres a thought-

I have an NES with both RF out and composite outputs, there just HAS to be something in that I can butcher and stick in the Atari.

Since I have no idea where RI is, do you have an NTSC or PAL atari?

Opened my jr up today, and the video bits are utterly different, none of that stuff in the composite instructions is lurking in MY Atari.

Surely SOMEONE must know how a PAL atari works, and how to composite mod it. C'mon! help!!

quote:

Originally posted by skatepunk60:

Its a state in USA (noone knows it) Im NTSC man i wanna try to search the web to find a pic of a PAL jr. pcb and I maybe able to tell ya what to do

I know where it is, as I've lived in Southeastern Connecticut and Eastern Massachusetts and have had to drive through Rhode Island many times. Doesn't take very long. Also used to go to Warwick sometimes for shopping when I was in Connecticut.

..Al

Even I know Rhode Island, as in red, as in Foghorn Leghorn

Anyway, update - finally cracked open my 6-switch and found the rf lead ISN'T soldered on, it just plugs in - whoops.

As for PAL pcb,s - As soon as I get a film for my SLR, I can post you close-up shots of both the 6-switch and jr model pcbs if it'll help.

I remember, that I had found two very nice PAL schematics (4 and 6 switch) somewhere in the www about 6 months ago. Unfortunately I've lost the images and I can't remember where I found them.

They must be somewhere out there...

But I gave the printouts to a friend, who wanted to modify his 2600. Perhaps he still has them.

quote:

Originally posted by Thomas Jentzsch:

Correction:

I found the PAL schematics on my HD and just posted them to AtariAge!

And I just received 'em. These will be easy to put online, since they were drawn in a paint program vs. the others which were scans of paper documents and needed a bit of work before I could put them online.

Thanks!

..Al

• 1 month later...

Last year I bodged together a portable atari system of my own from an PAL Atari Junior and used the a/v mod from the VCSP site.

The picture quality was great but it changed the system into and NTSC machine. Which worked okay on my mini TV but the colours were the NTSC versions (so i needed ntsc carts for stuff to look right)

There is a good picture of the NTSC PCB Atari Junior on the Atari CE site. If I can find my digital camera I'll take one of my pal junior. From what I remember the PAL version uses extra circuitry just to the left of the chips.

I just took a picture of a PAL Atari Junior at http://www.itstoast.co.uk/at.JPG. (I broke it when I was experimenting making my own portable atari).

See how the PAL version has the extra circuitry in the bottom left compared to the NTSC model http://www.classicgaming.com/2600ce/detail...hiwconsole.html.

Maybe composite should be hooked up to this extra circuit!?