IGNORED

New PS4 owner, looking for exclusives.

Austin

Hey guys, finally picked up a PS4 over the weekend. I'm not terribly familiar with the library and am curious what exclusives you have enjoyed and/or recommend from over the years, old or new.

I picked up Bloodborne, Wipeout Omega Collection, Assault Suit Leynos and Shadow of the Beast. Not exclusive but still noteworthy, I also snagged Raiden V and Redout as well (Redout and Wipeout are both amazing by the way, really glad I finally checked them out).

So far I'm liking the system. User interface is taking a while to get used to after being on the Xbox One for so long. Game installs are really quick in comparison. I'm not sure if this is what is happening for some games, but some games seem to play right off the disc (like Raiden V). On the Xbone, every game has to be installed fully which is time consuming. I was able to get my six PS4 games ready in about a half an hour, so that was nice.

• Like 4

The vast majority of games do install to HDD, the PS4 is just really good at hiding it from you by doing it in the background. In that respect it's a much nicer experience than the Xbone where you have to wait for the whole game to download even if you have the disc where it still downloads them regardless. That for me was a giant difference when I went from PS4 and bought an XBone with two games that I couldn't play until the next day after it'd downloaded 100GB from the internet. That irked me when I had the discs... But anyhow, it's not that thread so moving on.

Alienation, Astebreed, Bloodstained Curse of the Moon, Darius Burst: Chronicle Saviours, Galak-Z, Hellblade: Sensua's Sacrifice, Hyper Light Drifter, I am Setsuna, Inside, Nex Machina, Oceanhorn: Monster of the Uncharted Seas, Polybius, Resogun, Skullgirls: 2nd Encore, Unravel, Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap, Matterfall, Lara Croft: Tomb of Osiris, The Sexy Brutale, Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero Ultimate Edition, Sine Mora EX, Silence, Slain: Back from Hell, Silence, Song of the Deep, Tearaway Unfolded, Caladrius Blaze, Doom, Dreamfall Chapters, EDF 4.1, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, Gravity Rush 2, Horizon Zero Dawn (is available with Frozen Wilds expansion now), Last of Us Remastered, Mad Max, Nier Automata, Titanfall 2, Trials Fusion: Awesome Max Edition, Uncarted games.

You'll need a bigger HDD.

Also I've no idea how many of them are exclusives...

Edited by juansolo

The vast majority of games do install to HDD, the PS4 is just really good at hiding it from you by doing it in the background.

Interesting, I was wondering about this. Several, including Wipeout and Bloodborne, required installs and it was clear the system needed to do it before I started the games. However, Assault Suits, Raiden V and Shadow of the Beast do not, they just fired right up and there were no indications they were downloading or installing anything. Sony really has done a great job at hiding it.

You'll need a bigger HDD.

Nah. Got the 1TB model so I'll probably be fine. I'm not averse to uninstalling games either. Modern games are usually a one-and-done sort of affair for me, so it's not a deal breaker if I have to remove some from my hard drive in a worst-case scenario. :)

Also I've no idea how many of them are exclusives...

Haha.. I do see a lot of familiar games from other platforms there. I have a Xbox One X, so anything multi-plat I plan on playing there. Although, some 2D stuff I might start getting on the PS4, the controller is so much more comfortable for those types of games.

Like infamous, great pseudo freedom type of game with superpowers and good or bad story arcs.

Last of us, if you like zombie games. A lot like dead island in a way. Dead island, though not exclusive.

Little big planet 3, platformer with shared system coop.

Locoroco, fun happy platformer, single playered, it's exactly the psp version, just upscaled for ps4. Great music and a nice different twist on controls, as you don't directly control l the main character.

Can't really think of any others I own that are system exclusive. Where the hell is twisted metal? I'm looking forward to the redone original spyro, hoping that wasn't an April fools thing, but it may not be exclusive. And tempest 4k, which is definitely not exclusive.

Edited by Video

Are people still buying the Playstation VR? I'm on the fence about it and whether it's worth it

From what I can tell, yes. It's decent from what I have heard, assuming at least you don't have a strong PC and/or don't want to shell out for VR on a PC.

• Like 1

Definitely try these out

Until dawn

Uncharted collection

Uncharted 4

The Last of Us

God of War 4

Yakuza series specifically Yakuza 6/0

Resogun

Salt and Sanctuary

Horizon Zero Dawn

Ni No Kuni 2

Persona 5

Nier: Automata

Also I really like the Final Fantasy 7 remake and some other Classics from the store it's a great system especially complimenting your Xbox One.

Interesting, I was wondering about this. Several, including Wipeout and Bloodborne, required installs and it was clear the system needed to do it before I started the games. However, Assault Suits, Raiden V and Shadow of the Beast do not, they just fired right up and there were no indications they were downloading or installing anything. Sony really has done a great job at hiding it.

As far as I know, they all install to the HD, but some install pretty quickly. Also you can play games before updates download, but they won't let you play online unless you update.

How is Shadow of the Beast btw? I've been interested in checking it out, but wasn't sure.

• Like 1

If you're OK with VR, the PS4 has some fun titles. I had to shelve mine due to severe nausea.

It is a concern of mine. I've read this from a few sources, including users like you on AA as well. There's a place in the mall where you can pay for a few minutes of a VR experience. It's not PSVR but I would assume the experience is more important than the brand when it comes to testing whether one is adversely affected by the tech.

It is a concern of mine. I've read this from a few sources, including users like you on AA as well. There's a place in the mall where you can pay for a few minutes of a VR experience. It's not PSVR but I would assume the experience is more important than the brand when it comes to testing whether one is adversely affected by the tech.

It sucks, because I bought it mainly to play Dirt Rally. I tapped out after 5 mins. The stationary stuff I do alright with. Like the sea dive on the demo disk, that was fine.

• Like 1

There's a Loco Roco on the PS4? Nice, I'll check that out.

Yes, there's a topic "locoroco?!" Somewhere on this forum from when I first found it.

like I said, it's the first psp game, nothing added, so if you like or missed that one, it's great, but it's not a sequel.

Topic

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/273087-locoroco/

Edited by Video

I have an Oculus Rift (one reason I probably won't get a PS VR), and I have found that I can really only deal with games that have you set in a single place, or movement is handled via teleportation. Once free movement is involved, I start to feel nausea instantly. Some people don't have an issue with this, but others do.

That said, there are tons of games where you are simply standing in place. First person light gun style shooting games, if you will--not PS VR specific, but stuff like Serious Sam: The Last Hope, Robo Recall, etc. Really awesome games to experience in VR and they've made the experience worth it for me. I know there are similar titles on PS VR, just can't think of them off the top of my head.

How is Shadow of the Beast btw? I've been interested in checking it out, but wasn't sure.

It's.. OK so far. Taking a while for me to get the hang of it. I do like how they have tied in to the original game by recreating a similar visual style, as well as having remixes of the original musical themes. I need to give it more time. Load times are LOOOONG too, which was one of the things that made me think that some games may not install to the hard drive (I bought the physical Asian release).

Everybody's tolerance to VR motion sickness varies. I get almost none- slight discomfort in stomach at times that doesn't require bathroom visit.

The worst game for me & sickness was Minecraft on the GearVR when I enabled smooth turning.

But the good news is most people can get acclimated to it and become much less prone to nausea. Start off slow and work your way up to more intense things.

Also most games have "comfort settings" enabled by default. These include things like blinders that block peripheral vision, teleportation motion, no smooth turning. Once you are used to VR, most people want to disable these settings for the full VR experience

All right, so I see a lot of newer games mentioned. How about some old/early PS4 titles? Anything there that's exclusive and worth checking out (or at least, that you enjoyed)?

Until Dawn, if it hasn't been mentioned. This is like a send up of teen horror movies. It's fun, and you can get multiple replays out of it because you want to see how many of the characters you can save at the end.

Infamous Second Son

Order 1886 - for a good price. It's a 3rd-person shooter based in Victorian London. People complain that it's too short at 5-6 hours, but the visuals are amazing!

Driveclub - again, don't pay too much. Decent racing game, but it is still one of the best-looking racing games ever made.

• Like 1

Well I did end up ordering a VR. I had a hundred bucks in paypal (which was originally supposed to go for a Retron 77 but I made the inexcusable mistake of not living in the USA) so the Doom bundle was only $150 out of pocket for me. I'll probably trade or sell the copy of Doom, not a fan of that game, aside from the original PC offerings BITD.

I guess I'll still have the demo disk and the Xwing mission from the first Battlefront to try. Battlezone VR looks like it might be fun. I'll have to explore the VR catalog a little more now.

Edited by AtariLeaf

Well I did end up ordering a VR. I had a hundred bucks in paypal (which was originally supposed to go for a Retron 77 but I made the inexcusable mistake of not living in the USA) so the Doom bundle was only $150 out of pocket for me. I'll probably trade or sell the copy of Doom, not a fan of that game, aside from the original PC offerings BITD.

I have heard that the original Doom is included in VR in Doom VFR as a bonus. I have not played it so I can't confirm

I guess I'll still have the demo disk and the Xwing mission from the first Battlefront to try. Battlezone VR looks like it might be fun. I'll have to explore the VR catalog a little more now.

The Xwing mission is kind of cool. There are actually two demo discs, you can download the one your VR doesn't come with for free.

• Like 1