IGNORED

New PS4 owner, looking for exclusives.

Austin

Sony just announced a budget rerelease line, including several of the exclusives mentioned so far in this thread. It's digital and retail.

29015765868_baf689df28_b.jpg

Pretty much all of these could already be found new for around this price without too much trouble (Or even slightly less in the case of Doom and Driveclub), but this makes the low price point universal. And I imagine two or three of these were starting to get scarce in NIB form at retail.

Edited by Atariboy

Very cool, thanks for the heads up!

I picked up Amplitude, Super Stardust Ultra, and Polybius (Jeff Minter!) last weekend. Ended up getting caught up in the loads of arcade archives releases (like Gradius, Gradius II, Salamander, Haunted Castle, Double Dragon 1 and 2, and more), so I didn't have time to give them a shot, haha.

• Like 1

They've been mentioned a couple times, but if you're looking for more arcade style gaming you should check out the other Housemarque games... Nex Machina, Resogun (and the Defender DLC), and Alienation. Eugene Jarvis helped them design Nex Machina.

DariusBurst:CS is solid also, and it has a bunch of classic shmup ships as DLC that add a lot of variety to gameplay.

• Like 3

Yeah, I already have Nex on the PC, but was thinking about picking it up on the Xbone eventually (that's where most of my arcade stuff is). Resogun I do have and it was nice to see that transfer over to the PS4 from the PS3 version I originally purchased. I'll have to check out Alienation.

I have DariusBurst on the PC as well. Hard to justify dropping another $60 on it, but hopefully there's a decent sale on it. I'd like to have it on console, just not right now.

Some more games I played and beat or played very heavily

Aqua Kitty (Seaquest Atari)

Anything from Puppy Games (Titan Attacks etc, similar to Space Invaders, Robotron)

Broforce

Counterspy (Nice stealth Impossible Mission game)

Rock Boshers DX (cool ZX Spectrum C64 game)

I also enjoyed Infamous Second Son and highly recommend Until Dawn if you're a 80s horror fan.

Edited by cimerians
  • Like 1

Sony just announced a budget rerelease line, including several of the exclusives mentioned so far in this thread. It's digital and retail.

29015765868_baf689df28_b.jpg

Pretty much all of these could already be found new for around this price without too much trouble (Or even slightly less in the case of Doom and Driveclub), but this makes the low price point universal. And I imagine two or three of these were starting to get scarce in NIB form at retail.

Feels like a lot of these games have been at that price for awhile already. Some of them have been given out free on PS+

They've been mentioned a couple times, but if you're looking for more arcade style gaming you should check out the other Housemarque games... Nex Machina, Resogun (and the Defender DLC), and Alienation. Eugene Jarvis helped them design Nex Machina.

DariusBurst:CS is solid also, and it has a bunch of classic shmup ships as DLC that add a lot of variety to gameplay.

Nex Machina is on sale in the current Flash Sale! $5.99 instead of $19.99

How is Shadow of the Beast btw? I've been interested in checking it out, but wasn't sure.

Shadow of the Beast is actually one of my favorite PS4 games. It plays quite differently from the old games. That's a good thing, since gameplay was never the series's strong suit. This game is very focused on combo-based combat, although the combat is still relatively simple. The skill lies in building your combo multiplier to maximize your score (and also learning enemy weaknesses, timing your attacks, etc.). Most combat encounters are grouped into "arenas." If you perform well enough in certain encounters, you can unlock additional combat arenas. To fully complete each level you need to find each combat encounter, although that's not required just to play through the game. Fortunately the combat is really fun, so I find myself replaying the levels to try to complete everything.

It's a very cool-looking game too. It's far from the most graphically advanced game on the PS4 and probably could have worked just fine on PS3. But there is lots of imagination in the environments. There are lots of cool homages to the original games, like bosses from the original in the background and an overall level progression that's similar to the original.

Also, there are some good unlockables. I actually bought the game for the emulated Amiga version of Shadow of the Beast. I had never played it before, and I was a little disappointed to find it doesn't play as well as the Lynx port. So the crappy gameplay of the Genesis and (canceled) SNES ports are actually faithful translations of the original's gameplay. Anyway, you can also unlock soundtracks, concept art, a video playthrough of the Amiga game in case you can't be bothered to put the time in yourself, and other bonuses. You unlock these by racking up big scores in the main game and then using your accumulated points to "purchase" what you want.

I really enjoyed Shadow of the Beast. I wasn't expecting the new game to be as engaging as it is. I wish it had been received better when it came out, but it seemed to be mostly ignored. It's definitely a small game compared to AAA releases, but the developers clearly put a ton of passion into it.

• Like 1

Also, there are some good unlockables. I actually bought the game for the emulated Amiga version of Shadow of the Beast. I had never played it before, and I was a little disappointed to find it doesn't play as well as the Lynx port.

Heh, glad to see I'm not the only one to find the other version of the game disappointing compared to the Lynx version :)

I really enjoyed Shadow of the Beast. I wasn't expecting the new game to be as engaging as it is. I wish it had been received better when it came out, but it seemed to be mostly ignored. It's definitely a small game compared to AAA releases, but the developers clearly put a ton of passion into it.

I have seen an interview with the developer, he was quite obsessed with the original game