IGNORED

Nintendo and Hamster release Arcade Archives Donkey Kong for Switch

empsolo

There's some debate about Crazy Kong. I've seen some claims that it was an officially licensed clone. According to this, the arrangement only lasted a few months:

https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=14413211357527714092&q=564+F.+Supp.+937&hl=en&as_sdt=2,5

Is there a synopsis of the lawsuit in plain English? I don't speak legalese, nor do I feel like taking the time to skim through all the excess verbiage. Suffice to say there was probably just cause for Nintendo to sue.

Is there a synopsis of the lawsuit in plain English? I don't speak legalese, nor do I feel like taking the time to skim through all the excess verbiage. Suffice to say there was probably just cause for Nintendo to sue.

If you Ctrl-F and search for "Crazy Kong", you'll see the relevant paragraph. I haven't read the entirety of that document, so I can't say I'm an expert on the subject.

I thing the legal issue is just internet myth bs taken as fact. Back around 1990 whatever issue existed was settled in a locked up settlement deal between both parties. I bet it just was typical Nintendo behavior just like their long reluctance to rerelease old games people wanted for years like the gba nes carts or the recent classic edition systems. Nintendo just drags stuff out and explains nothing

Man.. Crazy Kong aint nothing but a bootleg from-scratch remake. Right up there with friggin Zig Zag :lol:

Bingo. I guess People couldn't get enough Donkey Kong so some no-name company booted it. Tons of bootleg Pacman cabs existed too.

Just like every multi-arcade cab in existence that has Donkey Kong on it is also a bootleg.

NE146 what is that stand you are using for your Switch?

It's just a silicon stand we got off Amazon and keep a few around the house. Flexible, dishwasher safe, and works well enough for tablets and whatever :P

https://www.amazon.com/TabletProp-Universal-Flexible-SmartPhone-Silicone/dp/B01E2K48QK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1529093946&sr=1-1

• Like 1

I've played on (if you can call it that) legit Crazy Kong machine before which was pretty amusing, a former friend who had a shop long ago had one in there off display. Donkey Kong really was something special so a boot was no surprise. It was like the IT game back in that year along with Pac-Man and a few others. DK was very popular and sold through a lot of hardware in that year.

That's not a bad stand for the Switch, reminds me I have this screwball fold up kind of a tripod type tablet stand I've had about a year I have stored away I could find no use for, that would work great for the Switch and if I had a USB-C device it's open in the bottom so that would slot in there too without obstruction.

I played more Donkey Kong last night. Got a new high score of 47500 playing on the "later" version (Japanese stage order). 85th overall on the leaderboards, so either I'm really good or a lot of people haven't played it yet. Probably the latter. And I realized for the first time how bad the Switch Pro Dpad is. Mario would not cooperate so I synced my 8bitdo SF30 Pro SNES controller (NA purple color scheme) and it worked beautifully.

• Like 1

I played more Donkey Kong last night. Got a new high score of 47500 playing on the "later" version (Japanese stage order). 85th overall on the leaderboards, so either I'm really good or a lot of people haven't played it yet. Probably the latter. And I realized for the first time how bad the Switch Pro Dpad is. Mario would not cooperate so I synced my 8bitdo SF30 Pro SNES controller (NA purple color scheme) and it worked beautifully.

Glad you mentioned that.. I never even thought to check that out. Turns out last night I accepted "yes" to it uploading my score (99,000) and it turns out I was #10 for the game. King of Kongs we aren't :lol:

I guess it has different scoreboards for each version eh..cool.

• Like 1

It'll be interesting to see if Nintendo will start a trend with this. I could see Capcom (and lots of other companies) releasing their own "directly-emulated" arcade games on the Switch.

I don't really keep up with what's happening with the Switch, so this "trend" could already be started, for all I know. :P

• Like 1

Glad you mentioned that.. I never even thought to check that out. Turns out last night I accepted "yes" to it uploading my score (99,000) and it turns out I was #10 for the game. King of Kongs we aren't :lol:

I guess it has different scoreboards for each version eh..cool.

If you want your score to be legit, use the Score Attack mode which disables save states and DIP switch tampering. They have one for both Japanese (later release) and American (international release) stage order. Some joker at the top #1 spot scored 900,000 points, so there are definitely a couple diehard Billy Mitchell wannabes playing it.

I would like to see a frame by frame 60fps video capture of the barrel stage draws, to see if it matches MAME or the real arcade machine.

Other thoughts, for landscape orientation, they should have gone with the original arcade sideart marquees as an option instead of solid black versus gray/black for the borders.

If you want your score to be legit, use the Score Attack mode which disables save states and DIP switch tampering. They have one for both Japanese (later release) and American (international release) stage order. Some joker at the top #1 spot scored 900,000 points, so there are definitely a couple diehard Billy Mitchell wannabes playing it.

I would like to see a frame by frame 60fps video capture of the barrel stage draws, to see if it matches MAME or the real arcade machine.

Other thoughts, for landscape orientation, they should have gone with the original arcade sideart marquees as an option instead of solid black versus gray/black for the borders.

Yep.. I've come to learn that since then as I was able to get a pretty high score on the other modes using save states, and the score still registered. :lol: My high on the legit high score mode is around the 100-110k mark which is pretty much the same mark I've remained in for the past 37 years. :P

And as far as the high score in the American version, the name on there when I looked was over a million held by "WCopeland" or something to that effect, which I can only assume is this dude. https://www.polygon.com/2016/5/8/11635188/donkey-kong-all-time-high-score-wes-copeland-perfect-game

Edited by NE146

And as far as the high score in the American version, the name on there when I looked was over a million held by "WCopeland" or something to that effect, which I can only assume is this dude. https://www.polygon.com/2016/5/8/11635188/donkey-kong-all-time-high-score-wes-copeland-perfect-game

Why the hell do these asshats always mute the sound? :roll:

EDIT: I skipped to the end. Pretty clever strategy. He plows through all his spare lives doing some insane point farming on the 21st loop 125m barrel stage, because he knows he'll lose them all when he hits the kill screen on loop 22.

Donkey Kong is one heluva game. I think the best I've ever achieved is 50k points doing Japanese stage order. And I don't recall ever making it to the conveyor belt stage when doing US stage order. The International version has some tweaks that make the difficulty even more brutal. One big one, on the Japanese stage order, you won't get hit by a barrel if you're chilling at the top of the ladder. On the US stage order, it's suicide. You come down the ladder, barrel will follow. :skull:

However due to the more frequent barrel stages on the US version, there's a lot more chances to point farm since every other stage is barrels starting with loop 5. I can't imagine what it's like to marathon play through all that...

• 2 months later...

I know nobody will be interested in this, but Donkey Kong Jr. has been announced for an Arcade Archives release.

The big news though is that Vs. Urban Champion is on the way.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/09/hamster_adding_even_more_games_to_the_arcade_archives_on_switch

I already have Donkey Kong and Mario Bros, plan of picking up DK Jr too.

I noticed that DK Jr is not on the NES rotation yet, probably would be wise not to until after DK Jr Arcade Archives launches. The "Netflix of NES" $20 / yr subscription is worth it just for that. They need to let us remap the stupid buttons however, as the way it's currently setup is dumb.

I got sky Skipper, odd little game for sure. I kept dropping bombs on Pauline when she tried to escape. I think I'm doing it wrong; need to read the manual... :dunce:

I am not a huge Neo Geo fan, but I'm looking forward to the Bubble Bobble games coming out.

• 6 months later...