IGNORED

BARBARIAN

digress

It's native coleco original. I just made it all up from scratch. 

Lots more to add yet. I'll post another update in a while.

It also supports f18a which I'll show in an update video.

pickups and locked doors are missing.

I need to swap out the music too.

speed up the wizard

fix the flashing on the dragon

animate the draw bridge at the end

add a spikes room

probably bats

I want a larger dragon boss at some point. Or maybe multiple dragons at once. That might be even better.

Bunch of stuff not quite right yet buts it's already playable.

5 minutes ago, Northcoastgamer said:

It looks amazing for the CV Gerry. You are a programming artist, beautiful work!

I suck at frogger though. I have to make games i'm good at so I have a chance in the high score competitions. I have to try again to break 10,000 points before end of day.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Added some new stuff. I can complete the level now. 

added bridge trap

added spikes room

added new snake boss level

fixed a bunch of stuff

need to refine the spawn points of enemies

here is the rumble version too if you prefer not to youtube.

https://rumble.com/v1xr37i-barbarian-more-sections-completed-colecovision-homebrew.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Tursi said:

The depth of your works never fails to impress me. That snake looks fantastic :)

That full motion video you produced for the ti dragons lair is still the peak thing i've ever seen. 

Pushing the hardware to max of what it could have been at the time is what makes it interesting. Easy to do some of these things on a modern game engine.

2 hours ago, youki said:

Yes, very nice indeed!

May i suggest to try to put the color of barbarian body in yellow instead of pink?   IMHO it would add contrast and the main character will be more visible.

I'll try it. sure. Yellow is weird looking but he does blend in with bg too much now. That's why i've mostly left the bg as black.  Maybe green? also white outlines/hair really pops too.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks. at least one of the songs is very high pitched and kinda brutal at times. I might replace that. couple of minor things here and there. I fixed the flying snake already ( i hope). I havent seen him fly by lately.

Its different. I try to make something unique from what was already available for the system.

someone else mentioned the music being too screechy too so that is confirmed. I tune it sometimes so that feedback is useful. I'm going to rework or remove the music altogether.

12 hours ago, imstarryeyed said:

Hey Digress your game is coming along great!  I am glad you are wrapping it up it looks so colorful with the F18!

Looking forward to buying a copy from you when it is ready.

Edited by digress

3 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Did you really have to do this? Are you aware that it's not very kind to people who try to document your work? 😔

I delete old videos from time to time of all things. I put them up mostly for feedback of things I may have a blind spot to that needs fixing such as the music. Once I can see it (or hear it) I need to get rid of the bad versions. Most artists will burn 90% of their drawings.

I never intend to leave the oldest videos up forever. 

14 minutes ago, digress said:

I delete old videos from time to time of all things. I put them up mostly for feedback of things I may have a blind spot to that needs fixing such as the music. Once I can see it (or hear it) I need to get rid of the bad versions. Most artists will burn 90% of their drawings.

I never intend to leave the oldest videos up forever. 

I'm not sure about that statement, but how can someone present the work method of an artist if he destroyed all the steps that lead to the final result? Do filmmakers destroy their films' screenplays or casting videos? I really doubt it. Now if you want I won't write about your games anymore on my retrogaming website. I thought it might interest my readers, but if you don't want them to know about your work, it's your decision.

4 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Did you really have to do this? Are you aware that it's not very kind to people who try to document your work? 😔

It is entirely possible to make personal copies of videos posted online. There are a variety of tools that can accomplish this task. 

I have copies of many videos that I grabbed when they were first posted that have since been removed. They are residing safely on an external hard drive, and free from the threat of deletion because of copyright issues, the whims of the creator, or any other reason.  

One of our guest lecturers in fine art school was famed canadian artist Christoper Pratt. He described to us his process of burning all his prints that didn't quite work out in a large metal bin on his property. Its quite normal for artists to do this. Its our way of tiding up our space from too much clutter so we can focus on stuff better. Not everyone works the same way.

Painter Christopher Pratt captured the wilderness of his beloved ...

Christoper Pratt was a cool guy. He had some good stories to tell in person.

I'm surprised anyone would notice. It is actually part of the documenting of my process actually. That I will make a hard fork at some point and discard all that isn't working. By removing it permanently it no longer is a distraction to me everytime I open my own channel.

If its of help I'll leave the old videos up there in future. 

• Like 1