IGNORED

Computer Space

xCoduster

Hi, as of right now I haven't found a way to obtain a copy of the discountinued homebrew port of Computer Space. I'm therefore asking if anyone has the rom on their computer and if they'd like to send a copy of it to me. I'd really like to play the game but I can't as it doesn't exist in MAME. I only need the rom because I plan to play it on my homemade arcade system running retropie.

Hi, as of right now I haven't found a way to obtain a copy of the discountinued homebrew port of Computer Space. I'm therefore asking if anyone has the rom on their computer and if they'd like to send a copy of it to me. I'd really like to play the game but I can't as it doesn't exist in MAME. I only need the rom because I plan to play it on my homemade arcade system running retropie.

An interesting article about the complications of emulating Computer Space:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/08/unemulated-eleven-classic-arcade-games-you-cant-play-at-home/

Also, there seeems to be some disagreement about whether this was the first coin-op arcade game or Galaxy Game:

https://www.emuparadise.me/M.A.M.E._-_Multiple_Arcade_Machine_Emulator_ROMs/Galaxy_Game/141554

From emuparadise page:

Game Description & Reviews:
OverviewGalaxy Game is the first known coin-operated arcade game. It was released in September 1971, two months before the release of Computer Space, but was never mass-produced.

There's no source for the september 1971 date. Here's the souce for the Galaxy Game date. It has the first prototype installed in November 1971 at Standford University in a Tresidder Union music listening room. A second version that supported multiple monitors and multiple games was installed in June 1972 in a Tresidder Union coffee house.

https://videogamehistorian.wordpress.com/2015/09/03/a-nutty-idea/

Galaxy Game can be emulated in mame and is much closer to the 1962 Spacewar compared to Computer Space.

Edited by mr_me

• 1 month later...

I happened upon a set a while back on eBay. It wasn't too much more than original price. It seems most things do come up for sale eventually even if it takes a year or more of waiting and checking. Until I read your post I wasn't even aware that it came with a digital download option. I just now got around to trying to get the digital download but the CollectorVision webpage per instructions is no longer active. I believe Pong is available in ROM form if you search for it but I haven't been able to find Computer Space on internet. And the Pong may or may not be the one from this set.

I bought my set before I understood how scarce and collectable these independently published homebrews are; especially ones made in limited quantities and/or no longer in production. I stupidly threw away outer box with serial number so I have no idea what set # mine is. I did this because I have the games separated in alphabetical order among other games on my shelf.

I wouldn't be opposed to any & all ROM's being offered by CollectorVision either free or for a cost; especially the ones no longer available. But some collectors might have an issue with that position thinking it diminishes the value of their copy. I think after a certain amount of time and especially if another physical run won't happen they should be offered.

Edited by rodge2001

But some collectors might have an issue with that position thinking it diminishes the value of their copy. I think after a certain amount of time and especially if another physical run won't happen they should be offered.

At which point I could refer them to this post and a game for which the ROM is freely available and the cart in box goes for almost $500.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/281314-princess-quest-goes-for-456-on-ebay/?p=4081483

or digress's War, which goes for about the same, or the Adam ports, which go for $250 - $400.

I think it has to do with limited editions and/or the impact/quality of the box artwork. I think there is something extra special about the Princess Quest and War artwork. Lots of others linger around $40 - $80, year after year, even without released ROMs. Don't want your game to become crazy priced in resale? Sell 2000 copies and put routine artwork on it.

Some sellers, as you know all too well, shoot for the moon when trying to sell items, especially Homebrews, and usually have to adjust their pricing to a more reasonable amount in time. Unfortunately sometimes a collector with deep pockets is looking for specific titles and will pay absurd amounts of money to acquire a game.

Some sellers, as you know all too well, shoot for the moon when trying to sell items, especially Homebrews, and usually have to adjust their pricing to a more reasonable amount in time. Unfortunately sometimes a collector with deep pockets is looking for specific titles and will pay absurd amounts of money to acquire a game.

The figures I've seen are from eBay bidding starting between $60 and $150, but the first part is often true and the second part can apply to bidding as well. I think sometimes they overbid as a safety net and someone else tries the same thing and accidently wins it for a high price, or just wants to win and then renegs on the sale. It's also possible that plants are driving up the bid price. I've had a couple times where I've lost a bid around $120 and the seller PMs me that I can have another copy for that price.