IGNORED

Two Player Atari Adventure?

Gemintronic

The recent multiplayer PC Adventure Remake had me searching for a real 2600 multiplayer version.

I saw a YouTube video called "Atari 2600 Adventure 2 Player Adventure Hack" but that was just one of those weird automated? videos that seem like a computer opened a ROM and recorded some random footage.

Are there any real 2 player hacks or original homages?

• Like 1

Never heard of anything that enabled Atari 2600s to be linked.

According to the maker of Head to Head Adventure Warren had the idea for linked 2600s and Adventure. I was just talking about a plain old 2 player version of Adventure running on the same machine.

Well, if it isn't a thing I may as well make it one.

According to the maker of Head to Head Adventure Warren had the idea for linked 2600s and Adventure. I was just talking about a plain old 2 player version of Adventure running on the same machine.

Well, if it isn't a thing I may as well make it one.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer here, but unless you can somehow pull off split-screen on the 2600, I'm not sure how this wouldn't be like a 3 legged race.

Who controls which room is displayed when a player crosses over? I guess you could have the program wait for the second player and disable all exits except the first one used.

Still, the second player isn't going to be able to do much beyond carrying a second item without split-screen, AFAICT. It would allow one person to act as protector with the sword, while the other carried an essential item I guess. You'd have to increase the aggression of the dragons, at least while the sword is being carried in order to retain the challenge of one player Adventure.

• Like 1

If the split is horizontal with p1 at the top and p2 at the bottom it MIGHT be possible. Would require one of high level masters here and an original game design to keep things simple enough to be feasible.

Edited by davyK

I see no real issue with it, either vertical split screen (one on top of the other) or shared screen where both players would have to share exits. Your need faster or stronger enemies, or more numbers of it could be to easy.

As for linking systems, either a cart to handle this through a phono type wire, or telephone type cable with a piggy back for the game, assuming the link cart wasn't integrated in the game. Or, I know the 2600 controller ports can act to communicate, it does already with save key and atarivox, so a program written to talk to another system shouldn't be undoable using a double ended controller cable.

It would be neat to see either way.

Split-screen is certainly possible on the 2600, e.g. Dragster. The idea of linking two Ataris via the second controller port is also possible, but having two consoles and two TVs next to each other for such an endeavor would make it more interesting than practical, I think.

Yeah, that's the PC version I mentioned. Good eye, though! I got a let's play here:

https://youtu.be/2zQIvzgrV8Q?t=893

Was just wondering how legitimate that video was claiming a 2 player real 2600 hack was.

I've got a bucket list. Right now something like this is higher on the wish list :)

post-13304-0-59131600-1529934903_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Lol! I love the concept art, but your ducks heads on backwards... or his feet are backwards one of the two.

Yeah, that's the PC version I mentioned. Good eye, though! I got a let's play here:

https://youtu.be/2zQIvzgrV8Q?t=893

Was just wondering how legitimate that video was claiming a 2 player real 2600 hack was.

I've got a bucket list. Right now something like this is higher on the wish list :)

attachicon.gif3dadv.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Sorry to necro post but this is the result of this topic:  Dragon Chalice!

Y'all gave me enough feedback to inspire my own co-op game.   Pretty proud of it as even I was skeptical of two player simultaneous working :)

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/351890-dragon-chalice-2600-8-bit-milli-release/#comment-5264795

dc2coop.thumb.png.5dfaf22fa8574208245fd62572d2c071.png

• Like 2

Yes, I made one back in 2008 and had it on display at the NWCGE 2008 show. One player controlled a dragon on one console and the other controlled the player on another in a shared Adventure universe. If I remember right, the player controlling the dragon could switch between each of the three by pressing the button.

You would link two consoles together using a DB9 cable in the right joystick port on each.

I never finished it, and it was buggy but it did mostly work. The problem wasn't anything technical but because I wanted it to fit in 4k, and I ran out of space.

• Like 2

A suggestion for 2 playter ADventure on a single console - have player 2 control the Bat.  Goal is to prevent player 1 from winning.  Bat can appear on the screen with player 2 pressing button, however there should be a time delay for the Bat appearing.  Should the Bat steal an item and make it off screen then said item should be dropped somewhere randomly.

A new item which can "freeze" the bat should be added to the game like the Sword for Dragons.