IGNORED

Its... Poodle Jump!

Dionoid

New name, new graphics!! ;)

<<<<< Poodle Jump >>>>>

This release is really stable and very playable. Changes:

• starring a cute poodle dog with ears that go up & down
  • new platform types (white "disappearing" platforms and blue "moving" platforms)
  • the platforms are twice as thick
  • after you die, the game resets after you press fire (allowing you to see your end score)
  • fixed some glitches to make the gameplay better
  • speed-up of PAL version (now plays as smooth as the NTSC version)
  • no more "stacked" platforms
  • cartridge size from 4K back to 2K

The .bin files are attached here! (choose PAL or NTSC depending on your system)

Screenshot:

post-63708-0-80505500-1529598328.png

...and this is the Youtube video of yesterday's ZeroPage twitch stream, with the debut of Poodle Jump:

Cheers!

--Dion

poodle_jump_NTSC.bin

poodle_jump_PAL.bin

• Like 12

Plays like a dream! Very good update!

Definitely more fun with the moving and disappearing blocks!

What's the benefit of a 2k game over a 4k game?

I'm not much of a dog person...

...may have played around in Hack-O-Matic and brought back the D... #winkyface

Edited by TonyO

This is very nice and feels VERY much like a classic VCS game. I like it better than "Doodle Jump" too; the cute puppy graphics are a nice touch and I like the looks of the slightly wider platforms.

• Like 1

I'm not much of a dog person...

...may have played around in Hack-O-Matic and brought back the D... #winkyface

Yeah, I kind of feel the same. These are not the final graphics for sure.

I'm working on a new (fantasy) animal that I hope people will like. And it has got a pair of antenna's, which will be animated when jumping up and down :)

• Like 2

I'm working on a new (fantasy) animal that I hope people will like. And it has got a pair of antenna's, which will be animated when jumping up and down :)

Regardless of the character, the game is super fun and really smooth and fluid! You're doing an amazing job on this! Bravo! Can't wait to see what you do in future versions!

I'm still experimenting with that. Still not sure if it improves playability though...

The driving controller is *so* sensitive that I almost feel that it would make the game more difficult.

• Like 1

The driving controller is *so* sensitive that I almost feel that it would make the game more difficult.

DRiving controller is fairly low actually, only about 16 ticks per revolution. A trackball has far more ticks per rotation.

For this game, infinite rotation isn't necessary, so Paddles would be better? EVen if it means increasing the game size to 4k for paddle support, it would be worth it. Difficulty or B/W switch could be used, or auto detection on load.

I noticed most paddle games are needlessly twitchy because the games only use a sixth to a quarter turn of rotation. Because of this, I've used 470kohm pots in my custom PAddle designs instead of 1M.

Maybe game variations thru the Game Select switch where you can choose Doodle, Poodle, or {antenna sprite}???

Damn, totally destroyed my live score on the show of 11k! Now I have some competition, muhahah!!

Technically once you hit the moving platforms the game doesn't get harder, it's definitely all in your mind. Granted, I got pretty nervous once I got near 10k and it was messing with my gameplay. Now I'll have to try and get 100k and roll over those 5 digits. :-)

I really like this game. icon_smile.gif
attachicon.gifSAM_3523.JPG

Wow... 34,576 points !!! I've really no idea what happens if anyone scores beyond 99,999 points!

• Like 1

Maybe game variations thru the Game Select switch where you can choose Doodle, Poodle, or {antenna sprite}???

I'm certain he removed the doodle because of potential copyright issues, though modern Atari programmers like to deconstruct popular titles as more of an homage to the original and a novelty of sorts, sometimes the original's authors don't see it that way and go on the offensive.

Better to be safe.

• Like 1

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing another exclusive release update of Doodle Poodle Amoeba Jump tonight! We're doing a Homebrew WIP livestream update episode tonight and a big announcement for one of the games we'll be playing! We'll be checking out the recently renamed Amoeba Jump (previously Doodle Jump), another look at Unreal Tournament 2600 and a visit back with Mappy with all it's changes since we last played!

Join us LIVE on the ZeroPage Homebrew Video Gaming Twitch channel at 7PM PT/10PM ET tonight

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

post-37205-0-14502600-1530135572_thumb.png

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing another exclusive release update of Doodle Poodle Amoeba Jump tonight! We're doing a Homebrew WIP livestream update episode tonight and a big announcement for one of the games we'll be playing! We'll be checking out the recently renamed Amoeba Jump (previously Doodle Jump), another look at Unreal Tournament 2600 and a visit back with Mappy with all it's changes since we last played!

Join us LIVE on the ZeroPage Homebrew Video Gaming Twitch channel at 7PM PT/10PM ET tonight

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

As promised :)

post-6010-0-78367900-1530154110.jpg