IGNORED

Wil Wheaton on the Atari 400

kiwilove

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk6D5P--HuQ

Don't think this has been posted about here?

Though he appears to be mixed up about the Star Raiders movie tie in - he makes mention of The Last Starfighter - whereas it's obviously Star Wars? Star Raiders always had that Star Wars look to it - in it's advertising artwork. And the title itself - relates more to SW than TLF.

Had Atari got the Star Wars license tie in - would the Atari 400 / 800 computers have really achieved very high sales?

Did the SciFi fans of the day - recognise the obvious Star Wars tie in with Star Raiders - and did they rave about this Atari computer game?

I did note the appearance of the Star Wars movie being very special when I first knew about it - but down in this part of the world - the Atari Home Computers did not receive much advertising or public prominence etc.

Harvey

• Like 1

Star Raiders obviously has the Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica influences (note, Zylons).

At the time it came out licencing was probably nonexistent in videogames but there'd been pinballs based on movies, bands, cars, events for a fair while at that time.

Remember, Atari in fact did get the Star Wars licence for the arcade game but of course some time afterwards.

IMO Star Raiders was sufficiently good to act as a standalone killer app - would have it sold more computers if it was modified and sold as Star Wars? Probably.

But still the fact remains that Atari in it's 70s through 90s incarnations had the uncanny act of killing the golden egg laying goose.

Interesting video. I suspect Will's memories are cloudy. Star Raiders II was originally The Last Starfighter. In fact, you can find the rom...

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-last-starfighter_2927.html

Interesting tidbit from the comments...

I had this game on a tape suspiciously labelled as Star Raiders II.

I think it's funny that WW cites his time typing in Antic listings as the root of his creativity. Now, if he had modified those listings...

My first computer was an Atari 400. I remember seeing an ad for a sale at Zayres department store which listed the 400 for $99.99 after a $50 rebate. It was my first mail in rebate as well. It was a huge leap over the 2600.

The 400 actually did impact my personal and professional direction. When I had purchased every cart Zayres offered, I bought a basic cartridge and a 410. For $10 more than the recorder and cartridge cost, I purchased those plus an Atari BASIC programming book and an Atari BASIC Reference Guide. Eventually, I got around to reading both, looking at programs, modifying programs, and writing some of my own.

• Like 1

I think it would be cool to give Wil Wheaton an Atari 400 with 48K or an 800XL and one of the modern SIO2SD or one of the many flash cartridges available with Star Raiders, SR2 and The Last Star Fighter beta on it so he can relive his childhood memories and to show him that TLSF game does exist. Maybe even get him to come to AA and chat about it.

• Like 1

I think it would be cool to give Wil Wheaton an Atari 400 with 48K or an 800XL and one of the modern SIO2SD or one of the many flash cartridges available with Star Raiders, SR2 and The Last Star Fighter beta on it so he can relive his childhood memories and to show him that TLSF game does exist. Maybe even get him to come to AA and chat about it.

No. Nooooo. He's spent most of his adult life proving that he's not Wesley Crusher, by demonstrating that he's much worse. Don't bring that here!

By the way, I found out he was one of the mice on Secret of Nimh. So he's been annoying people a lot longer than anyone realized.

• Like 2