IGNORED

RealSports Curling Release Thread

Ryan Witmer

What is screen on the top half for? It seems the stone ends up in the same place up there even though it starts later but moves faster.

The top screen displays the rings all the time, so you can always see where the previous rocks ended up. It also has a secondary aim arrow to help you line up your aim.

Time for beta 2:

Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on your perspective, I've found a couple of bugs in beta 1, both related to the code that detects if a rock is in the rings or not.

Big shout out to my CPU player for helping me find these. The "spectator" mode where the CPU plays against itself has been extremely valuable in ferreting out these last few bugs.

The bugs only showed up for rocks toward the bottom of the screen. I got a little too clever and tried to mirror the edge detection using the values for the top half of the screen, and I did it wrong. It just happened to work near the center, and the results got increasing bizarre as you moved down. Now that I know how much extra ROM space I have to spare, I've just duplicated the edge values for the bottom half. This also makes the edge detection code slightly faster since I'm no longer doing inversions of the rock Y values.

Attached is the ROM for beta 2. There are quite a few ROMs for this game floating around now. You can always confirm the version you have on the game configuration screen, which prints the build ID and date on the bottom corner.

If you can't run the game but still want to check the version you have, the build ID string is 256 bytes from the end of the ROM, so any kind of string dumper utility should easily pick it out.

rs_curling.zip

• Like 1

Time for beta 2:

Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on your perspective, I've found a couple of bugs in beta 1, both related to the code that detects if a rock is in the rings or not.

Big shout out to my CPU player for helping me find these. The "spectator" mode where the CPU plays against itself has been extremely valuable in ferreting out these last few bugs.

The bugs only showed up for rocks toward the bottom of the screen. I got a little too clever and tried to mirror the edge detection using the values for the top half of the screen, and I did it wrong. It just happened to work near the center, and the results got increasing bizarre as you moved down. Now that I know how much extra ROM space I have to spare, I've just duplicated the edge values for the bottom half. This also makes the edge detection code slightly faster since I'm no longer doing inversions of the rock Y values.

Attached is the ROM for beta 2. There are quite a few ROMs for this game floating around now. You can always confirm the version you have on the game configuration screen, which prints the build ID and date on the bottom corner.

If you can't run the game but still want to check the version you have, the build ID string is 256 bytes from the end of the ROM, so any kind of string dumper utility should easily pick it out.

I do get some weird effects where the game progresses if I move the stick around after the aiming but before the release stage, where it will go to the point of moving and releasing the stone without pushing the button or it will start moving the stone and I am unable to release it. You can avoid this by just not moving the stick randomly, but I thought I'd mention it. I think I found it trying to figure out angling the stone between move and release.

I do get some weird effects where the game progresses if I move the stick around after the aiming but before the release stage, where it will go to the point of moving and releasing the stone without pushing the button or it will start moving the stone and I am unable to release it. You can avoid this by just not moving the stick randomly, but I thought I'd mention it. I think I found it trying to figure out angling the stone between move and release.

Hmm, I haven't seen anything like that. I spent some time trying to just flood the system with stick inputs like you mentioned but didn't see any problems. If you see this again, let me know and see if you can narrow down a few more details.

After seeing so many videos of upcoming homebrew titles I decided to try doing a quick video of my own. This is the first time I've ever done anything like this, so it isn't that great of a production.

This is just me going through a couple shots during testing. It's not terribly informative, but I may make more videos in the future, especially for my next project.

• Like 2

After seeing so many videos of upcoming homebrew titles I decided to try doing a quick video of my own. This is the first time I've ever done anything like this, so it isn't that great of a production.

This is just me going through a couple shots during testing. It's not terribly informative, but I may make more videos in the future, especially for my next project.

It says video not available for me .

video missing

I just switched it from private to public. I didn't realize private was that private.

It's not a very interesting video, now it's all hyped up.

You can also set videos to "Unlisted", which means they won't show up when people browse/search YouTube videos, but a direct link to the video (such as what you posted above) will work fine.

..Al

You can also set videos to "Unlisted", which means they won't show up when people browse/search YouTube videos, but a direct link to the video (such as what you posted above) will work fine.

..Al

Yeah, I saw that option and considered it, but might as well let people find it.

I eventually won this game 11-10. The computer made a fantastic late-game comeback. It had me pretty worried for a moment, if it can almost beat me, and I know every detail about how it works, I really want to see what it can do to other people.

Alright, this is it. Release build 1.0 of RealSports Curling.

After some intense negotiations, RealSports Curling will be receiving a cartridge release here at AtariAge with the full box and manual treatment. The manual has already been written, and some draft label/box art has been made up (and it looks fantastic, but I'm not going to reveal that!).

The current plan is to release the game at this year's Portand Retro Gaming Expo. I'll be there myself for a few hours on Saturday, so anyone who finds me can challenge me to a game of curling. I'll play left-handed to make it interesting.

So, here's the "final" build and complete assembly source. Some very kind folks ported Ratcatcher to the Atari 8-bit computers, and if anyone wishes to do the same with this project, feel free. I've tried to make the code as easy to port as possible. I imagine this would make a fine paddle game, and a few adjustments to the potmap.s source file should make that easy to do. I will gladly answer any questions anyone has about the code.

rs_curling.zip

• Like 9

Hmm, I haven't seen anything like that. I spent some time trying to just flood the system with stick inputs like you mentioned but didn't see any problems. If you see this again, let me know and see if you can narrow down a few more details.

I'm think it must have been a misload of the game of some sort last time, as last time, I pushed the button to choose guard/draw/takeout then had to push it again to get the player to move. Now that I've reloaded it, he starts moving as soon as I choose the strength level. So, seems consistent now. No strange effects by moving stick around, although the weird gap being choosing the strength level/type and moving is no longer there.

I'm think it must have been a misload of the game of some sort last time, as last time, I pushed the button to choose guard/draw/takeout then had to push it again to get the player to move. Now that I've reloaded it, he starts moving as soon as I choose the strength level. So, seems consistent now. No strange effects by moving stick around, although the weird gap being choosing the strength level/type and moving is no longer there.

That's great to hear, because I've been trying like crazy to reproduce anything like you described. What scares me the most is thought of weird bugs on 2-port 5200s, since I don't have one of those to test on.

Just out of curiosity, is yours a 2 port?

That's great to hear, because I've been trying like crazy to reproduce anything like you described. What scares me the most is thought of weird bugs on 2-port 5200s, since I don't have one of those to test on.

Just out of curiosity, is yours a 2 port?

No, its a 4-port. Sorry to take up your time with something that was apparently just a one time fluke.

• 4 weeks later...

Just built a RealSports Curling cart. The plan is to release the game at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo next month, assuming I can get the boxes, manuals and labels printed in time. Will hit the store in mid-November. :)

attachicon.gif5200_RealSportsCurling_Cart.jpg

..Al

Albert, I gotta have this CIB. Please reserve s copy for me.....

• Like 2