IGNORED

couldn't open png file error

ultima

Can you show us the exact error?

It sounds like the filename or filepath to your graphics may not be correct. Did you move any thing in that process? How do you compile your code, are you running the commands from a different location?

Another possibility would be if it's complaining about the format of the graphics or them having too many colours but I couldn't say without seeing the wording it gives you.

Also it's worth mentioning that when you import graphics the filename isn't case sensitive but when you refer to it later in your code it is.

Edited by SmittyB

it says

*** (9): ERROR, couldn't open png file 'face1.png' for reading

Compilation failed.

C:\7800basic>

since then I reinstalled all of it but still get this error, on the working side I ran your homebrew spire of the ancients in mame and it runs fine.

Ah, I might be wrong but where C:\7800basic> is your current directory it could be looking at it relative to that folder. Is your face1.png image at that location or is it possible that it's open in another program?

I don't think you need to try reinstalling anything, it sounds like your setup is okay besides it not being able to find or otherwise open the file.

From the looks of it, I'll assume you copied the simple.bas file to the c:\7800basic folder and tried to compile it there. You'd get the error above if you forgot to also copy the .png file to the same directory.

That being the case there's no reason why you should have copied it to that directory. You should be able to move to the C:\7800basic\samples\simple directory and run 7800bas directly in that folder. Does it give you an error when you do that?

I tried moving the simple.bas file and the face.png into the root (7800basic) and reran the compiler and it produced a

-simple.bas.asm

-simple.bin

but did not make the simple.a78

command prompt:

7800basic 0.6 Jul 12 2017 22:46:35

***(): INFO, GFX Block #0 starts @ $E000

face1

***(): INFO, GFX block #0 has 2032 bytes left (254 x 8 bytes)

7800basic compilation complete.

User-defined 7800.asm found in current directory

'7800filter' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

C:\7800basic>

Ah, the ol' 7800filter not recognised problem. Your antivirus will have quarantined it, you'll need to restore it and add it as an exception otherwise your antivirus will keep doing this whenever you try to compile.

On the plus side it's further than it was so once 7800filter is restored it should work.

Edited by SmittyB

From the looks of it, I'll assume you copied the simple.bas file to the c:\7800basic folder and tried to compile it there. You'd get the error above if you forgot to also copy the .png file to the same directory.

That being the case there's no reason why you should have copied it to that directory. You should be able to move to the C:\7800basic\samples\simple directory and run 7800bas directly in that folder. Does it give you an error when you do that?

Tried that just now it compiled but still no simple.a78 file still complains about 7800filter

Ah, the ol' 7800filter not recognised problem. Your antivirus will have quarantined it, you'll need to restore it and add it as an exception otherwise your antivirus will keep doing this whenever you try to compile.

On the plus side it's further than it was so once 7800filter is restored it should work.

BINGO!!! YEAH THAT DID IT!!!! THANKS SMITTYB!!!!

Tried that just now it compiled but still no simple.a78 file still complains about 7800filter

Now that the antivirus issue is dealt with, try compiling simple.bas from it's own directory again to see if it compiles this time. (It'll be a lot more convenient on you to make sure you can do that rather than working directly from the 7800basic directory all the time once you're working on your own projects.)

• Like 1