IGNORED

Antic and Analog disk-of-the-month archives?

Gunstar

I recently got some original Antic magazine disks and some of them were from 1984.

Vol.3, no. 1

Vol.3, no. 5

Vol.3, no. 7

Vol.3, no. 10

Vol.3, no. 11

As well as some 1985 and 1986 disks.

I will post them soon.

So it looks like as of now the earliest Antic magazine disk is Volume 3, Number 1, May, 1984.

Looking at everything I could find on the Net for earlier Antic disk images, they all seem to be just made up, with DOS 2.5 on them (didn't exist then) and only one game on them.

So if anybody has any earlier original (or later ones) Antic magazine disks, please archive them.

By the way. some disks have stuff written on the back even though there is no notch on that side nor is it mentioned on the disk labels. Always check!

Allan

I have Antic Vol. 5, no. 9, "Talking Typewriter" - I didn't see it currently posted at AtariMania. I archived it some time ago. Here are ATRs of both sides. I've tested them and both sides at least boot to the Antic MENU.BAS program.

I thought I had more of these but they're not among the old high school disks of mine I've found over the years.

Antic Magazine Vol 5 No 9 (Side A).atr

Antic Magazine Vol 5 No 9 (Side B).atr

• Like 2

Uh, don't forget about this thread and the 132 Antic ATR's posted there. BTW, these are the same ATR's posted on the Serious Computerist: Antic.

Also, I just went through all the ATR's in that collection, and only 3 have DOS 2.5 on them and are from years that DOS 2.5 was in existence; all others are DOS 2.0S.

The Analog disks are here too: Serious Computerist: Analog.

The early (Pre-Vol.3, No.1) ATRs are missing some of the programs. I also noticed on couple of the later ones that some programs are missing. That's why I am trying to get original Antic disks. Here's Vol.3 No7 that I just copied from a Antic disk. You can see a couple of programs are missing including the menu program. As far as the pre-Volume 3, Number 1 issues, My intention is to go back and type all the missing programs in and ad them to the disks. There are eighteen issues to do. It's just a matter of time.

Allan

antic_magazine_disk_nov_84_vol3_no7_antic_publishing.atr

• Like 2

Uh, don't forget about this thread and the 132 Antic ATR's posted there. BTW, these are the same ATR's posted on the Serious Computerist: Antic.

Also, I just went through all the ATR's in that collection, and only 3 have DOS 2.5 on them and are from years that DOS 2.5 was in existence; all others are DOS 2.0S.

I was going through some of the pre-Vol 3 disks and noticed the Volume 2, Number 12 disk has all the programs (from that issue) on it, including the Menu program and the Pilot language programs. I am assuming this was from an original Antic disk. Hopefully some more of them are like that.

Allan

The early (Pre-Vol.3, No.1) ATRs are missing some of the programs. I also noticed on couple of the later ones that some programs are missing. That's why I am trying to get original Antic disks. Here's Vol.3 No7 that I just copied from a Antic disk. You can see a couple of programs are missing including the menu program. As far as the pre-Volume 3, Number 1 issues, My intention is to go back and type all the missing programs in and ad them to the disks. There are eighteen issues to do. It's just a matter of time.

Are you sure you can't just pick up some material at the Antic Software Archive on AtariMagazines.com, as Doc suggested? They have this very disk there that you're using as an example, and it's also complete.

I was going through some of the pre-Vol 3 disks and noticed the Volume 2, Number 12 disk has all the programs (from that issue) on it, including the Menu program and the Pilot language programs. I am assuming this was from an original Antic disk. Hopefully some more of them are like that.

I thought it was worth suggesting, since you mentioned DOS 2.5, and none of the older disks I had used DOS 2.5. Yeah, hopefully more are ok.

The link for the Antic disks on the Serious Computerist was dead. Thanks to bfollowell for pointing this out. The problem has been fixed.

You can see a couple of programs are missing including the menu program. As far as the pre-Volume 3, Number 1 issues, My intention is to go back and type all the missing programs in and ad them to the disks.

Here is a dump of a non-original disk I did of that same issue that seems to have a bit more data. I noticed the additional files are unlocked in DOS so it is probably the case that someone added them in after the fact. Might save you some time.

Antic Disk Version Vol. 3 No. 07 (1984-11)(Antic Publishing)(US)(Side A)m.atr

• Like 1

I've been making good progress with copying my Antic disks. I will try to post them today. They are all from original disks with both sides copied if there is anything on the back side. A lot of the second sides are ST programs so I can see why people didn't bother copying them. I'm glad I looked at this closer so I can get these ST programs to ST archivest. One other thing I noticed is people would many times delete/not copy source code files. These all seem to have the source code included.

I've been having good luck as far as no corrupt disks. Only one disk has an issue. I will post a Disk Wizard II-copied image of this disk in hopes that somebody might be able to fix it.

Allan

• Like 1

So here's the bad disk copied with Disk Wizard with one CRC error. Hopefully someone can fix this. Unfortunately the corrupt section is were the source code files are at otherwise I could have copied the files from another disk image.

Allan

antic_magazine_disk_dec_84_vol3_no8_antic_publishing.atr * bad sector.atr

• Like 1

So here's the bad disk copied with Disk Wizard with one CRC error. Hopefully someone can fix this. Unfortunately the corrupt section is were the source code files are at otherwise I could have copied the files from another disk image.

AtariMagazines.com has a complete copy of this disk.

• Like 2

From this collection I got recently, here are all the Antic disks images. All from original disks. I'll post the damaged one in a bit.

Thanks for sharing these. Could you share flux dumps as well or do you just have the ATRs?

AtariMagazines.com has a complete copy of this disk.

Yea, it looks like it's all there. Same files, same amount of sectors. Thanks. It's a good thing because it looks like the disk is failing more. My Disk Wizard copy of it doesn't even boot.

Allan

I was able to compare the following to our raw flux dumps and they can be considered verified:

Antic Disk Version Vol. 3 No. 05
Antic Disk Version Vol. 3 No. 11
Antic Disk Version Vol. 4 No. 04
Antic Disk Version Vol. 4 No. 06
Antic Disk Version Vol. 4 No. 08
Antic Disk Version Vol. 4 No. 09
Antic Disk Version Vol. 4 No. 10
Antic Disk Version Vol. 4 No. 11
Antic Disk Version Vol. 4 No. 12
Antic Disk Version Vol. 5 No. 01
Antic Disk Version Vol. 5 No. 02
Thanks again for posting them!
  • Like 3

• 3 years later...
On 6/25/2018 at 11:42 PM, KLund1 said:

I read somewhere in here that many Antic ATR's, in the wild, are only of side 1, but many were 2 sided. I've been collecting real antic disks and a lot do have items on side 2. The collection is not complete, and many disks are corrupt from age. I have some ANALOGs and Compute!s disks with stuff on side 2 as well. Something to consider. And something I wanted to remedy, but I do not have the time I want to spend on the project.

I remember someone several years ago someone did a GREAT job of collecting every issue of SoftSide magazine (Atari versions). They put PDF's of all pages, insert subscription, & reader service cards, flip-books,and ATR's of every disk into one large, easily indexed .zip file. It even had type-in programs as files ready to load that were only in print form. This was a marvelous way to put everything in one place/file, and easy to store and reference when needed.

Probs totally unfair asking this about a 4 year old post but re. the bit about a Zip file with all the SoftSide magazines + type ins collated above - is there any chance somone could point me to where to find that ?

Thanks