IGNORED

Retron77 Compatibility List

godslabrat

We should have official announcements in August, so I don't want to trump those with too much detail, but the HD unit will use a proven open source emulator and you will indeed be able to very easily add your own games. So if you need confirmation, consider it confirmed.

I think it's great that these two different hardware solutions are appearing concurrently, with one focused on ROMS and the other on carts. It means there is some competition to advance the state of the modern day Atari, but allows room for both devices to exist without stepping directly on each other's toes.

Even if this R77 goes to Stella 5.x, it will *STILL* have compatibility issues because of dumping. I strongly believe this dumping nonsense is just that, nonsense!

As games become more sophisticated, more and more tricks are going to be used, tricks that don't lend themselves to dumping in the first place. Besides, if you're dumping a cart, you're not really playing it anyways. You are fooled into thinking you're playing it. Look. If you bypassed the cartridge-insert detection subroutine, and pulled the cart out, it'd still play! Kinda stupid if you ask me.

Another interim and patchwork solution, in the grandest of traditions, is to simply read what it can of the cart, generate a mini-checksum, and look it up in a database. This database then retrieves the ROM and presents it to the emulator!

If you think about it it isn't much different than the shenanigans going on in there now..

My Activision games, NTSC River Raid, Enduro, work if you insert it fully, then pull it up a little, then turn on the RetroN.

NTSC Spider Fighter does not work, black screen when the dump seems to work.

Pengo Atari (2690) NTSC cartridge works. Feel free to add that to the list.

Thanks, using the Partial Pullout method I was able to get Pitfall and Seaquest to work.

• Like 3

Even if this R77 goes to Stella 5.x, it will *STILL* have compatibility issues because of dumping. I strongly believe this dumping nonsense is just that, nonsense!

As games become more sophisticated, more and more tricks are going to be used, tricks that don't lend themselves to dumping in the first place. Besides, if you're dumping a cart, you're not really playing it anyways. You are fooled into thinking you're playing it. Look. If you bypassed the cartridge-insert detection subroutine, and pulled the cart out, it'd still play! Kinda stupid if you ask me.

Another interim and patchwork solution, in the grandest of traditions, is to simply read what it can of the cart, generate a mini-checksum, and look it up in a database. This database then retrieves the ROM and presents it to the emulator!

If you think about it it isn't much different than the shenanigans going on in there now..

When it comes to the 2600, I'll always prefer choosing a game to play via the ritual of browsing through hardware carts and picking one out (vs. scrolling through a list of ROM titles), regardless of the mysteries inside the black box :)

Has it been confirmed that 9 will have an SD slot? I thought it was just rumors. Considering how awful the compatibility is on the handheld I wouldn't put too much on the 9 being the answer to your retro-dreams.

It has been hinted it will have something that will allow us to add more games and will be using a better emulator so that should help improve compatibility. It can't be any worse than the Retron 77 is right now.

Pooh! Carts got their place. Don't rain on our parade.

I was thinking though, carts could be modernized. If you had a cart with a video screen where the label is and a back and forward button, you could scan through the titles and the label would change to show what you selected. Stick that in the cart slot or on the Atarimibo pad or whatever and the emulator system could pull up the title from its built in library and bam, playing the game. :)

See, you could still scan your physical collection without the trouble of lifting and setting down individual carts.

Maybe they can do that for Retron 77 v2

Or cart could be swipe left / swipe right touchy. I like you Ms. Pacman, you are definitely my type.

Edited by SIO2

If there is anything specific that needs testing/verification let me know, my 2600 cart collection is around 420. No I don't have duplicates in there, that's for troubled people :P

I cant help myself, I have a couple variants like different picture labels or a single cart Ghost Manor along with a double ender.

I will report nearly every 4k and 8k game boots from cart. I also got more complex homebrews like Panky the Panda and Ladybug (both 16k) to load from cart on first try. Pacman Jr (16k) loads fine as well. And yes, many Activision titles seem fickle for whatever reason. I had no issues booting my copy of Spider Fighter but Pitfall (original not Pitfall II) was a no go.

Paddles do not function properly, and the fire button on any joystick I insert is basically DOA, so not many games are actually playable besides Ms Pacman and I guess any game that does not need the red Fire button. The fact the firmware needs to be reflashed using a special PC program to write to a hidden sd partition is a serious issue, considering the fact that we live in a smart phone and tablet world where many people don't even use PCs any more. Less who still own PCs would actually figure out how to run the update process. It's not like I can just toss a firmware binary onto the root directory of the SD card and be done with it.

and the fire button on any joystick I insert is basically DOA, so not many games are actually playable besides Ms Pacman and I guess any game that does not need the red Fire button.

The Fire button on the joystick does not work at all when you first boot a game

Err, what? It did for me.

Yes I understand the apparent possible corruption issue... Did not run into it through a lot of cart swaps with the original FW and the updated Stella.

Pooh! Carts got their place. Don't rain on our parade.

I was thinking though, carts could be modernized. If you had a cart with a video screen where the label is and a back and forward button, you could scan through the titles and the label would change to show what you selected. Stick that in the cart slot or on the Atarimibo pad or whatever and the emulator system could pull up the title from its built in library and bam, playing the game. :)

See, you could still scan your physical collection without the trouble of lifting and setting down individual carts.

Maybe they can do that for Retron 77 v2

Or cart could be swipe left / swipe right touchy. I like you Ms. Pacman, you are definitely my type.

I say do something like a Harmony II, with buttons on the side. You press them to change folders and roms. And the lcd-cum-label shows the artwork or textwork. This would work while plugged into the console, or outside away from it. Of course, the traditional on-screen Harmony menu would also be available.

You could even have TWO lcds going. A smaller rectangular one for the text/name too!

There's lots of things that are waiting to be done!

• Like 1

First the bad news, I grab another few boxes of carts and started testing them last night. The first 15 all worked until I got to the CCE cart Laser Volley. It wouldn't load or the next 11 carts. This seemed odd so I went back and tried previously working carts and found nothing would load. I tried again this morning with no change. I'll probably need to take it apart to see if something on the port was damaged as this seems more likely than a software problem. Most of the previously working carts get a blank or fuzzy screen and sound like an incoming fax now.

With the cart slot out of commission I've switched to ROM testing. I see the limit is being lifted soon, so that will be helpful. I threw some of my favorites on for now.

The good news is that the Birthday Mania ROM works. There's really no reason it wouldn't.

I say do something like a Harmony II, with buttons on the side. You press them to change folders and roms. And the lcd-cum-label shows the artwork or textwork. This would work while plugged into the console, or outside away from it. Of course, the traditional on-screen Harmony menu would also be available.

You could even have TWO lcds going. A smaller rectangular one for the text/name too!

There's lots of things that are waiting to be done!

The nes has this awesome homebrew cart with a similar concept:

https://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=157&osCsid=cad1b871db53490602c9e8b60c415a3f

• Like 1