IGNORED

Stella - Creating folder in My Documents

Atari Nut

Seems to be a new "misfeature" of Windows 10. Stella uses this folder to store user-generated stuff (snapshots, disassembly files, etc). Seemed like a good idea, since the documents are generated by Stella, hence they are "My Documents".

Now it seems that Microsoft, in all its wisdom, disallowed to save documents in "My Documents". Pray tell, how is one able to store documents there if WRITING IS BLOCKED???.

Sorry, I have no idea how to fix this right now, unless there is a way to tell "Controlled Folder Access" to exempt Stella and allow it to write to that folder.

I hate how Windows doesn't have a standard $HOME directory that Unix based OS's have and MS keeps changing it with every version "upgrade"...

You're "preaching to the choir", as the saying goes. This 'issue' has been with Stella in one form or another for the past 5 years or so, and I'm not sure how to properly deal with it. The real problem is as you say; there is no standard HOME directory, and the current best-practices one seems to change from time to time. In fact, in the last release of Stella, the release thread contained more feedback/comments/complaints on this very topic than on the emulation itself! So someone can understand why I'm peeved to hear about this yet again.

Rant over. That being said, I guess we will have to (yet again) come up with a way to deal with this. Perhaps for the next release ...

There needs to be a sane default, for users that won't be changing the setting, and even for users that will be changing the setting (before they actually change it). And the default should be such that most people won't have to mess with it. Consider that if Windows hadn't changed behaviour behind the scenes, you probably wouldn't have ever ran into an issue with "My Documents". It would 'just work', and you would probably never mess with it.

So we need a new default that most people will never need to change.

• Like 1

I doubt we will find a better default than "My Documents". The more Microsoft tailors the OS to uninformed users of standard software (by Microsoft definition), the more other software like Stella will have problems to run without problems.

So either uninformed users become informed (Google!) and learn how to configure their OS so that Stella works without problems. Or they will have to accept that Microsoft wants them to stick to what Microsoft considers to be safe for uninformed users.

I don't recall anything like this happening on my windows 10. Do you have anti virus installed?

Controlled Folder access is not turned on by default. You have to turn it on. The document folders are included by default since they are targeted by ransomware.