IGNORED

gravity snake

xxl

4 hours ago, candle said:

i'll make sure Vidol gets u1mb installed

Sweet - that will stop him from using any and all xxl software which just coincidentally doesn't work on U1MB.  It's not done on purpose though, he's told us that lie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

xxl writes software which specifically is made to break on U1MB equipped machines.  Even though he denies this, other people have shown multiple times how a simple fix can be done.  This is 100% proof positive he is deliberately crippling the software for U1MB machines.

Yeah I get that, well I don't but you know what I mean ? however the file I downloaded is supposedly "fixed" to allow it to work. But I guess not totally successfully. Damn it! 

i wonder if one day he won't stop at making his software not compatible, but instead start messing around flash memory write algorithms bricking whole machine

and this won't be u1mb only concern, as there are plenty of solutions having flash as the ROM memory - this is the only type you can get novadays after all

ofcourse write can be disabled in bios, but who does that?

6 hours ago, Stephen said:

he's told us that lie.

as has been said many times, the game does not use u1mb registers. these are the facts. u1mb has an error, hangs when accessing repeated PIA registers.

Instead of correcting the error, Candle launches an information campaign that this is not an error, but the normal behavior of this modification.

it's sad that as an adult you got so manipulated by candle.

7 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

There never was an attachment here at Atari Age forum, it was a direct link instead to the XEX file hosted at atarionline.pl forum...

it doesn't change anything, so stop linking to this content

22 hours ago, ZuluGula said:

@candle, can U1MB be modified, so it can run all of the software that runs on stock XL/XE computers? Yes or no.

There is a fallacy in your reasoning. By definition every extension is not 100% compatible with stock machine (it wouldn't be an extension should it be completely transparent). But we're rescued by official specification how to use a hardware to be compatible with future extensions. XXL's software fails to use the hardware as it was specificated. As a result his productions are not programs for Atari's as they have been designed but instead as they happen to be manufactured.

Edited by laoo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrFish said:

Nice game; I finally had some time to start playing this latest version; I'm having a lot of fun.

===

START - restart game

SELECT - next level (hold for a few seconds)

OPTION - restart level

Yes really nice work XXL, it's a bit tricky but I didn't notice the Select "skip level" feature so that will make it more fun, you might add some text to the game to let people know about it, the title screen is a bit vague ;)

On 1/26/2020 at 3:11 AM, candle said:

i wonder if one day he won't stop at making his software not compatible, but instead start messing around flash memory write algorithms bricking whole machine

and this won't be u1mb only concern, as there are plenty of solutions having flash as the ROM memory

Seems I'll have to build heuristic anti-virus technology into next version of U1MB loader just to ensure incompatibility cannot be patched out of game. :)

• Like 1

It is a pity to read this. First of all XXL: you create nice stuff for our so beloved a8. I am still a fan of your Xirius Defect game, (A fan of that game though, but obviously not yours... sorry) and other XXL productions as well. I think you definitely deserve respect and many thanks for your nice contributions. I appreciate them.

But I am also convinced that you are doing this U1MB-incompatibility on purpose. Even when you are right that U1MB has a fault, is the goal of your game to prove that fault then? That is a strange way to prove a thing to the community. I have a plethora of software and so far the only program not working with U1MB was the US Copier 5.x by E. Reuss (it did crash on RESET). That was because (if I remember correctly) a certain region of the STACK was used in that program which becomes overwritten by U1MB on a reset. Pressing reset in the Us+ Copier is needed though when you want to use different drives (a re-init). So that was the first and only incompatible program. So far... now your game can be added to that list of rare programs.

I love stock atari 8bit computers, but I also like to use my U1MB expanded a8. I think U1MB is one of the most 'standard' add-ons these days. Many die-hard a8 fans seem to have U1MB installed. 

Even when you did this NOT un purpose, I get my doubts from the moment you did not cooperate to release a version that actually does work on u1mb. If I wrote a game and someone complained that it failed on U1MB I would really want to know why, and fix it for the enthusiastic U1MB users.

Edited by Marius
  • Like 2

Yesterday I finally managed how to fix this game. ?

You need the unLZ4ed version from Baktra (46030 bytes long). Change 6 bytes in the offsets listed below to $01.

- $0611 (there is an address $D3FD)
- $0628 ($D3F9)
- $361C ($D3F5)
- $3624 ($D3F1)
- $676F ($D3ED)
- $6798 ($D3E9).

There is a certain regularity. As you can see, the address is decreased by 4 bytes with each subsequent occurrence. :)

Edited by voy
typo
  • Like 5

20 hours ago, Poison said:

Zdenek Eisenhammer, Jason Kendall, Martin Simecek

http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=6990

:)

Yes the XXL was eXtra eXtra Large as I went crazy and made about 200 levels - if anyone finished "Xirius Defect XX" send me a messasge :thumbsup:

• Like 1

On 1/30/2020 at 4:10 PM, Marius said:

Not? It lists: XXL ... isn't that you?

First there was "Xirius Defect" game, then "Xirius Defect XXL" - you know, S / M / L / XL / XXL / XXXL sizes.

13 hours ago, devwebcl said:

Still nobody has solved the last level?

Like I wrote on AtariAge, I lost my interest in Xirius Defect XXL game after I realised level 73 was impossible to beat. I think I have never returned to this game, even though the creators changed that level later.

Edited by +Adam+
clarification