IGNORED

HSC15 Round 12: Guardians of the Gorn + New Atari Game

What? Where did BBSB go? :!:

In a sweeping executive decision trbb turns traitor and rescinds his BBSB vote to make NAG the poll winner, then picks GotG which is then also on 4 votes as the companion game. I'm short of time for some serious BBSB play (and scared of deteacher) as it looks like I have some free time to be busy with abbuc this week (!) plus there's the World Cup, so hope this is ok with everyone. BBSB will be back :D

Guardians of the Gorn

guardians_of_the_gorn.png

No idea but looks fun :thumbsup: See graywest's instructions on Post #2 below :arrow: (there was no down arrow) :-D

Atarimania INFO

Fandal XEX

New Atari Game

new_atari_game.png

Winner of abbuc 2017, skateboard down the hill, collect stars and hearts (lives). 14 rounds ish to complete. Fairly easy going. Completable. I'll be interesed in your thoughts on this game as it's very loosely similar to my entry this year. Top players when you fail a round you are out, others can use the retries.

Fandal XEX

Atariage NTSC XEX

Scoring both games full points.

Round Ends Sunday 15th July 2018 10am UK time

EVERYONE WELCOME TO PLAY SOME ATARI :P

• Like 3

I hope that Guardians of the Gorn is still as enjoyable as I thought it was when I was 10. This is another one of those games that I had on a pirated disk and since there were no instructions, I had to figure things out by myself.

The instructions/materials posted on Atarimania that came with the game don't seem to be much help, so I'll offer some tips here.

You're some kind of a worm. Or a spaceship? No idea. You have to save the other "spaceships" that fly in at the beginning of the level and get caught in the spiderweb. There will be four spaceships to rescue each round.

You begin in the lower left corner, and you'll need to return there after rescuing the spaceships. Touch each spaceship to rescue it. I THINK (but I'm not sure) that you can return to the home base to bank your points before rescuing all four spaceships.

The "spiders" on the web are the Guardians of the Gorn. If they catch you, they'll call the huge butterfly/moth thing (the Gorn itself!) who will carry you off to meet some dark fate.

You have one weapon against the Guardians of the Gorn and that's your ability to unleash some sort of electric ZAP that will destroy strands of the web. Make sure that you've moved partially onto the NEXT strand of web when you do this, or you'll fall to your death. (ie. Don't use your zap in the middle of a strand, only at the junction of two strands. The strand behind you and any strands using it as an anchor point will be destroyed.) Zap a strand that a Guardian is on and it will fall. Dead Guardians re-enter the playfield after a few seconds.

Your electric attack has no effect on the Gorn. Keep away from the left and right edge as much as possible because the Gorn can enter without warning.

That's about it! The only tip I can think of is to use the electric zap sparingly to destroy strands of web. Otherwise, you may find yourself with few escape routes, and the Guardians may easily block you in.

Edited by graywest
  • Like 3

Guardians of Gorn: The XEX version from Fandal refuses to boot on my 130XE with SIO2SD. It seems to reset loading a couple of times and then bails out with BOOT ERROR a few times. Without Option held down, I get a garbage screen. The ATX (?!) version from Atarimania boots to an orange screen, but nothing happens beyond that.

However on the DVD filled with Atari warez which was included when I bought my SIO2SD, I found a version that boots. Let me know if I should re-upload it, or perhaps there are additional respositories with various ATR, XEX etc files beyond the recommended ones on Fandal and Atarimania.

New Atari Game: I noticed that when you reach game over, you get the option to continue or start a new game. Even if you continue, the score is mostly untouched which means you could play, die, continue, die, continue etc until you have finished all 14 tracks.

• Like 1

I used the Guardians of the Gorn .ATR file that I got from the Vjetnam 8-bit Atari games archive a long time ago:

http://atari.vjetnam.cz/index.php?frame=&dir=g&frame=lett&page=4

It booted fine on real hardware.

Guardians of the Gorn is a lot harder than I remember! Best score after a few tries:

A couple more tips: when you're dodging the Gorn, you only need to focus on escaping its jaws. You can pass through the Gorn's wings without any problems. Also, you CAN return to your home base before you've rescued all four spaceships, but you will LOSE POINTS for every spaceship left on the web. It's probably best to avoid doing this unless you've cut off access to one or more of the spaceships.

If you get too close to one of the guardians, you'll hear a "beeping" sound and it will begin to chase you. It's very difficult to escape them when this happens - stay as far away as possible!

post-6856-0-82127400-1530585329_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

New Atari Game: I noticed that when you reach game over, you get the option to continue or start a new game. Even if you continue, the score is mostly untouched which means you could play, die, continue, die, continue etc until you have finished all 14 tracks.

NAG from memory the score is reduced by more than you can achieve on the levels, 5000ish, I think there are some where you can score more, and I think there are only 3 retries. For now let's say top players play from the start each time - when you fail a route you are out, others can use the retries ;-)

Edited by therealbountybob

New Atari Game (NAG)

post-19705-0-41335500-1530726236.jpgpost-19705-0-56403200-1530726243.jpg

I reviewed this a while ago for the next Pro© Atari Magazine which by coincidence has just started to be worked on in the last couple of days. A nice game but too easy by far: finished it on 1st play in months 70,900 (14 rounds)

Guardians of the Gorn (GOG!)

post-19705-0-81696100-1530726226.jpg

Had a few feeler goes to work out what's what and now I've digested greywest's write up above will do better next time. I like these single screener arcade games ;)

Should have stuck to my original idea of pairing this with Mr.TNT as it's similar concept. If players want we can add in Mr.Tnt starting next week?

• Like 2

NAG

Nice game. Needs guns and missiles ;-) .... then it'll be the next Zaxxon :-)

Some forced dead ends would be nice, making you do a jump for sure, try anyway.

Level editor :-)

Oil slicks, animal strikes, pot holes etc.

More speed to kil

Great game :-)

and GOG

1,200 Oh Dear :-(

Edited by RedThunder
  • Like 1

Zaxxon? I rather got a Paperboy feeling from NAG.

Anyway, here are my first round of scores:

Guardians of the Gorn - 1830 pts

post-5454-0-91723200-1530737961.jpg

New Atari Game - 34762 pts

post-5454-0-31651800-1530737963.jpg

@TRBB: I'm not sure how much Gorn and Mr. TNT have in common, but sure it seems like a good game. I am always open to play more games, but others might want to concentrate on two at a time.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 2

Gorn: 12, 230

post-9712-0-56070300-1530886961.png

There's no extra life at 10K. Looks like you only get the 3 lives in this game. I think I'm done with this one. My only tip for this game is try to trap a bug (or 2) in the top right corner of the board. It's better to trap them, rather than kill them because they'll just respawn and the 50 points isn't really worth it, IMO.

• Like 4

Gorn: 12, 230

There's no extra life at 10K. Looks like you only get the 3 lives in this game. I think I'm done with this one. My only tip for this game is try to trap a bug (or 2) in the top right corner of the board. It's better to trap them, rather than kill them because they'll just respawn and the 50 points isn't really worth it, IMO.

:thumbsup:

post-19705-0-45204100-1530898240.jpg

Had a bunch of goes, it's quite addictive got to 4,810. Killing the bugs is easier than you think just press fire even as you approach the end of a strand - I went on a strand busting spree but then realised I had broken the way home! Seemed to do better clearing more strands so it's easier to keep track of the spiders. Looks like there is a fake blob (perhaps that's the gorn?) at the start, wonder if that is anything :ponder:

So the question is who are the guardians - them spiders and the moth? and what is the Gorn... to late it's gorn :D :-o

NAG: 21,158

This one is fun, but it's hard on the eyes. :-o Not sure I can continue playing this one.

There is an NTSC version (link on 1st post) if that helps or perhaps that is the problem :ponder:

• Like 3

Very small improvement. I was >this< close to finish the third screen. By the way, quite a few times I was misaligned to the web, so I would move in the patterns of the web, but next to it. In particular this prevented me from reaching the home base, so a such level automatically means a lost life eventually. I wonder if it the version of the game I'm playing that has this bug, or if all versions suffer the same bug. Did any of you spot that, you sometimes are displaced?

Guardians of the Gorn - 1980 pts

post-5454-0-96151400-1530912078.jpg

New Atari Game - 56582 pts

post-5454-0-02745800-1530913247.jpg

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

By the way, quite a few times I was misaligned to the web, so I would move in the patterns of the web, but next to it. In particular this prevented me from reaching the home base, so a such level automatically means a lost life eventually. I wonder if it the version of the game I'm playing that has this bug, or if all versions suffer the same bug. Did any of you spot that, you sometimes are displaced?

Hmm - I've never seen that bug before...

Not had that problem either - atarionline.pl several versions of GotG:)

Getting old but still kicking our butts :thumbsup:

NAG I liked the paperboy comment I thought that too, sort of tied in with RT's zaxxon comments, I did think about my game (Ski-it) vertical scroller having some horizontal shooting you go slow and shoot/throw/fire something across but that can be a future game idea as time and space is short...

first tables

Guardians of the Gorn
1st Deteacher 12,230 12pts

2nd graywest 11,290 11pts
3rd therealbountybob 4,810 10pts
4th carlsson 1,890 9pts
5th RedThunder 1,200 8pts

New Atari Game
1st therealbountybob 70,900 12pts*
2nd McKong 68,504 11pts
3rd carlsson 56,582 10pts
4th RedThunder 56,512 9pts
5th graywest 42,282 8pts
6th Deteacher 21,158 7pts

*completed (14 rounds)

so who's watching the world cup? Carlsson's boys are next for England ;-)

carlsson you might not have seen did you CC's post on the "HSC Olympics thread".

Season 15 Current Standings Updated

• Like 1