IGNORED

1050 drive issue

Keneg

I decided to leave the drive on for several hours and re-test. The drive won’t initialize when power cycled and just gives error 138, which it think is drive not ready. Shut off for several hours and back to error 173. The back part of the shield seemed warmer than the rest when it had been on for hours.

Post 32 and still no DOS report.

Looking like you'll be a year before we can beat enough

info out of you to provide any help at all. Error numbers

come from the DOS installed so it's important to know the

DOS used. Especially useful for odd error numbers like 174

first reported.

Error 138 is Device Does Not Respond, that means DOS can't

see it, nor can the OS. First thing to do is buy some DeOxit

contact cleaner and wet the drive select switches from the side

with the cover off. Then work both of them at least twenty times

while still wet. Let it dry and work them again twenty times.

Now select them for drive one position.

post-13325-0-15609200-1531039788_thumb.jpg

Any Joy?

• Like 1

LOL, I actually did exactly what you are suggesting yesterday and used the diagnostics disk to verify that they work. I think early on I was using different DOS versions. The latest information I have been posting used DOS 2.5. I forgot to mention that when the drive was really warmed up, the drive light would come on when powered up, the head would seek, the light would go out, then the sequence would repeat until the drive was powered off. I think I read somewhere that this is an indication of which chip is bad.

I am sorry if Im not giving enough information, I am new to this. If someone wants to give me a list of questions, I will do my best to answer them.

Edited by Keneg
  • Like 1

Glad you took the roughing up as well as you did, no

harm no foul, I now know what DOS is being used, thanks.

Ok, the repeating busy light is supposed to be a bad

6532 RIOT chip but often they are changed out and the

symptom remains. Best if you had a working donor to

supply the 6532, but they are on eBay as R6532P.

• Like 2

Thanks, I am trying to get some things from Best Electronics. Brad is slow to answer emails though.

I received another 1050 today. I gives the exact same message, error 173, when trying to format a disk. It also gives the same results for diagnostics. Fail motor tests and track zero.

Hey Keneg, I don't think you've mentioned here yet what type of power supply you're using on the drives, or if you've yet measured the 3 different power rails, with and without load (IE with disk spinning): 9VAC, 5VDC, and 12VDC

Your symptoms almost sounds like that of an underpowered drive I tried to run off of a 1Amp 9VAC supply. That one had enough for the drive to POST and respond to SIO, but not enough to operate when spinning the disk.

Edited by Nezgar
  • Like 3

Thanks, I am trying to get some things from Best Electronics. Brad is slow to answer emails though.

I received another 1050 today. I gives the exact same message, error 173, when trying to format a disk. It also gives the same results for diagnostics. Fail motor tests and track zero.

a second device is very helpful for solving PCB problems. you can compare component values when powered and not, compare voltages at various test points, swap ICs over

Hey Keneg, I don't think you've mentioned here yet what type of power supply you're using on the drives, or if you've yet measured the 3 different power rails, with and without load (IE with disk spinning): 9VAC, 5VDC, and 12VDC

Your symptoms almost sounds like that of an underpowered drive I tried to run off of a 1Amp 9VAC supply. That one had enough for the drive to POST and respond to SIO, but not enough to operate when spinning the disk.

I just checked my power supply. It is 1amp 9VAC supply I bought off eBay that was listed as being for several Atari devices, including the 1050. What do I need to make sure I have enough power?

a second device is very helpful for solving PCB problems. you can compare component values when powered and not, compare voltages at various test points, swap ICs over

I was hoping that, even if it didn’t work, it would have a different problem so I could swap things to troubleshoot.

Aha! Stock Atari supplies are about 3 amps (31VA). 1A is definitely insufficient. Others on the forums have reported success with 2A.

I've seen those ebay auctions for generic 9VAC supplies, the pictures have the ratings blurred out, and I emailed the seller asking the rating and they replied 1Amp, to which I replied they should take the 1050 off their listing description... which of course didn't happen...

• Like 1

Aha! Stock Atari supplies are about 3 amps (31VA). 1A is definitely insufficient. Others on the forums have reported success with 2A.

I've seen those ebay auctions for generic 9VAC supplies, the pictures have the ratings blurred out, and I emailed the seller asking the rating and they replied 1Amp, to which I replied they should take the 1050 off their listing description... which of course didn't happen...

Yes, I am quite upset that the item I bought is likely why my drives aren’t working. I have ordered an original 3.7 amp supply. Cost a lot more and will take a while to arrive from California, but then I will know that is right. It seems to me that you could build one with a transformer and the right plug. Has anyone done that?

be aware that you equipment has essentially been run in 'brown-out' conditions... this destroys electronics... If the proper supply gets you up and running count your blessings!

always good to check the cords/power blocks...

I only ran this one for a few minutes, so I doubt I did any damage. Cross my fingers.

Sourcing 9VAC supplies with greater than 1A has come up a couple times in the forums. Ask around your local electronics stores if they carry a 9V AC supply of 2A or greater. Here is a prior thread where I found one this way: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/277382-atari-1050-in-kinda-rough-shape/?p=4000363

Only problem is it came with a 2.1mm barrel connector, and 1050 needs a 2.5mm, so I replaced the end on the cable. Then I discovered adapters for such a situation: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/152348446057

Apparently a 1.3A SNES PSU also works. (has got to be borderline sufficient imho)

But then again, just getting an original one is the least time consuming and brain consuming. :D

Thanks for the suggestions. I have two originals ordered. Learned my lessons.

1. Don’t trust that the eBay seller is right about all of the devices his listing shows the item working with.

2. Check the power requirements of the device and make sure the power supply meets them BEFORE plugging it in and trying it.

• Like 1