IGNORED

Atari Flashback Switch with 150 games, arcade, 2600, and 5200 versions

Atariboy2600

And happily, volumes 1 & 2 are both under 400 MB's on the Playstation Store. No reason why volume 3 will be any different.

So assuming that retail is part of the game plan like I imagine it is, as long as Atari SA/AtGames springs for a 2 GB cartridge rather than the smallest 1 GB size, everything should comfortably be able to be accommodated with no need for a download.

Hopefully they see the value in paying a few extra pennies to have everything be able to fit.

And happily, volumes 1 & 2 are both under 400 MB's on the Playstation Store. No reason why volume 3 will be any different.

So assuming that retail is part of the game plan like I imagine it is, as long as Atari SA/AtGames springs for a 2 GB cartridge rather than the smallest 1 GB size, everything should comfortably be able to be accommodated with no need for a download.

Hopefully they see the value in paying a few extra pennies to have everything be able to fit.

They're 400MB each because each volume contains the whole front end. There aren't a lot of assets in the ROM and supplementary materials. I suspect they'd be around 600MB or less if all put together into one package without duplication of the emulator and launcher.

For those of you who want a cartridge to hold your cartridges, read the attached PDF from this post. This doesn't sound like the kind of company that will take on much risk or extra effort to please a small number of people. I guess it will depend on whether or not they can get a third party to shoulder most of their risk.

post-2410-0-71654600-1530896133_thumb.pngpost-2410-0-45324600-1530896142_thumb.pngpost-2410-0-55075600-1530896150_thumb.png

I imagine a good chunk of it are stuff like the manual scans, bezel artwork, etc.

Either way, I think there's a good chance it won't be going down to the path of many 3rd party Switch releases with their mandatory downloads.

Edited by Atariboy

I imagine a good chunk of it are stuff like the manual scans, bezel artwork, etc.

Either way, I think there's a good chance it won't be going down to the path of many 3rd party Switch releases with their mandatory downloads.

I just poked around in Atari Vault on my PC (same developer) but I can't open the RESS files to see what's inside. There's one that's almost a GB in size.

The bezel artwork looks high resolution but I don't know the size of the assets.

The manual scans are most definitely not taking up a lot of space. They're blurry, lossy, and probably just lifted from this site.

If by "mandatory downloads" you mean buy a cartridge and have to patch it later to even use it, I agree -- Code Mystics is pretty good about getting stuff right the first time, and I suspect they can do an Atari frontend in their sleep by now.

• Like 1

It would be so sad not to get this physically. I hope that happens, but if not it is still something I would go for digitally....if I have to. It would be nice to have a ton of Atari 2600 games on the go as well as here at home over HDMI without having to connect another all in one console unit.

• 2 weeks later...

The casual segment is so key to the success of these types of releases that I can't imagine AtGames/Atari SA will want to eschew getting this some visibility on retailer shelves this Christmas.

Plus, it carries the Atari Flashbacks brand which means that much like the PS4/XB1 iterations, AtGames is likely involved here. If this were digital only, I would expect Atari SA to self-publish it under the Atari Vault title on the eShop. Instead they presumably have AtGames and their retail connections/experience involved with this (Atari SA I don't think has been in the physical publishing business directly since the release of Test Drive Unlimited 2 or thereabouts).

I'd say it all looks promising with the likely size of the game, the segment they're aiming to appeal to, and past history with the Atari Flashback Classics line.

Edited by Atariboy

• 2 months later...

I doubt you'll see any Switch specific features.

And yeah, AtGames/Atari SA let a really nice opportunity pass by with Tempest and Adventure II. I understand the desire not to focus on homebrews since as unknown names to the general public, they don't have any selling power. But neither of these high quality games really qualifies as a regular homebrew game.

Tempest is the completed version of a holy grail for 5200 owners back in the day that originally ended up not being finished and released due to the health of the marketplace. Heck, I believe it was even finished by the original programmer that was working on it for Atari Inc back in the day. Not exactly some unknown game with no connection to Atari's glory years.

And Adventure II is an unofficial sequel to one of Atari's biggest non coin-op hits, is very well done, and was released with permission from the rights holder to use the Adventure name. And as I understand it, Cafeman's world design formed the basis for Adventure II on the 2600 that I believe was developed originally for the Atari Flashback 2, which is included here. Official enough in my opinion.

Both would've been great additions and I doubt would've been difficult to secure as long as they didn't demand that people like Cafeman had to sign over their home, all future career earnings, and their first born child to Atari SA in order for their work to appear here.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Has there been any sort of update on when this is supposed to be released? (Or, for that matter, things like price...)

Also -- how does the 5200 version of Star Raiders compare with the original one? I've played the original quite a bit, and I'm assuming the 5200 one is only slightly changed to take into account the lack of keyboard, but I wasn't really sure. I somewhat wish one of these sets had some of the Atari 8-bit computer games on it as well... I mean, the XEGS existed, so it's not ENTIRELY a crazy idea.

• 4 weeks later...

I always wanted to see Atari 8-bit/5200 games be included in an Atari compilation, glad to see they're branching out from just arcade and 2600 games.

That's what I thought too, but this is a good example of "be careful what you wish for." I have some impressions of the Xbox one version in another thread. For some reason it's been pulled from the store, probably to wait for the Switch release. It's neat but awkward, making the first two volumes look like the accessible, classic arcade games that they are in comparison. You'll like it but someone new to the scene would not, just like with 2600 games.

One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people.

He said, "My son, the battle is between two "wolves" inside us all.

One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.

The other is good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: "Which wolf wins?"

The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."

• Like 2