IGNORED

Atari Flashback Switch with 150 games, arcade, 2600, and 5200 versions

Atariboy2600

Bought this today - via a little dance and the US eshop, since Atari in their infinite wisdom haven't released it in Europe yet. Really liking it so far, the vector games in particular come up looking really nice, I can never get them just how I'd like them in MAME; this is much closer. Be sure to take Thrust off joystick up and put it back on a separate button as God and Nature intended though if you value your sanity. Particularly enjoying the two linked ships version of Space Duel, a tricky option that I have always enjoyed for personal, masochistic reasons. Selection seems decent, inevitably a few that won't see a lot of action (can't see many playing Basic Maths for any other reason than to get the achievement for trying everything). Nice to have a bunch of old favourites all in one place on a decent display, set up right and with decent controls.

The controls in the driving games puzzle me though. I'm used to stick left/right turning my car to its left/right. The controls in this... aren't that. Still trying to work out what they actually are. Weirder than Time Pilot.

Doubtless I'll be having fun with this during conscious moments during the upcoming festives.

• Like 8

Doubtless I'll be having fun with this during conscious moments during the upcoming festives.

Jeff Minter AND Jeff Vavasour, two retro gaming idols, on the same thread! My heart!

I've been wrestling with whether or not I want to schlep my Switch on a family trip which includes a bunch of airplane time. I was leaning towards "no" but this knocks me in the other direction.

• Like 4

The controls in the driving games puzzle me though. I'm used to stick left/right turning my car to its left/right. The controls in this... aren't that. Still trying to work out what they actually are. Weirder than Time Pilot.

There are three different control schemes simultaneously available.

The one you are expecting is on the D-pad buttons. Left turns the car left, right turns it right.

The analogue stick works more like the Time Pilot controls. The car will seek the direction you point the stick in. It does it by turning the wheel for you, as it were, in the direction that's less distance. As an emulation everything has to map back to the original wheel.

Finally there's the touch control steering wheel in portable mode. Drag left or right to turn the steering wheel left or right.

The first and last options have sensitivity settings under the control options.

Personally I like the touch controls best for trackball and roller games (Centipede, Tempest, Major Havoc) and the stick control slightly better for driving games. Once you get used to it you can be very precise driving with the stick.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm reading this thread, and trying to understand why some people really prefer the physical over the digital? Is it just preference? Or is there something better about the physical copy (other than, I guess you can sell it later?) I don't really have a preference one way or the other...I like physical as it isn't tied to your account, but digital means I don't have to get up and change the cartridge out if I want to play, so it is more convenient.

Is there something else I'm missing?

• Like 1

because i'm old and set in my ways, lol.

So for the Switch, specifically, I prefer physical copies of the games because to me taking a cartridge out of a case that's always next to my Switch is easier for me than faffing about with going to Nintendo's e-shop and downloading the game. I also like the physical act of putting the cart in the Switch. It also limits somewhat impulse-buying for me as well, where I won't end up with a library of 100 games that I either don't have time or won't ever play.

Yes, I've gone the online route with both PC and XBox (and to a lesser extent the 3DS), but I simply like using cartridges better.

As a new Switch owner, I'm REALLY struggling with the Physical vs Digital.

On the Physical side, I tend to prefer having a box, manual (don't seem to be many games with those anymore though), art, and something that I can trade in when I'm done with it. It's nice, and frankly I like having retail stores like the few local game stores we have, and yes even Gamestops etc.

I do NOT understand why Digital games aren't discounted more often and for much larger amounts than they tend to be. If companies can save the effort of manufacturing, shipping, etc...and the product has No chance of being traded / sold used with no benefit to them whatsoever....they should be giving a discount of 20+% at a minimum. But they're not, so for the same price or close, out of both principle and for other reasons, I'd go all Physical.

I agree with digdugante above that making myself buy physical does also limit my purchases in a good way. It's too easy to go crazy with the digital purchases (and then have nothing to trade in if you get bored with games).

Another factor adding in as pro Physical is the redonk 32gig memory of the Switch. I am well aware I can snag a 128 gig card for $20 or less, but we shouldn't have to spend extra money because of Nintendo's short sightedness in pushing digital games and giving such a small memory size on the console.

On the Digital side, I really don't like the process of inserting / removing the TINY little cards on the Switch. The cart door is flimsy, and I tend to have my Switch docked under a glass shelf which makes it a bigger pain, as well there's the actual wear and tear on the cart door, cart, cart slot, and more while I'm shuffling the Switch while on it's dock around. I also admit to being lazy and loving the convenience of having the downloaded games in the Switch's memory all the time; this is also notable in terms of traveling (not that those thumbnail size cards take up much space, but it would be more convenient not to have to take many or any). I have found the EShop to be easy and pleasant so far.

So it's tough; I'm scoping out prices and trying to grab Digital when they're on sale for less than physical (I missed out on Diablo, which IIRC was under $40 digital recently, now it's back to $60, ack!). But then I'm hesitating to buy a physical game even when I find a good used deal, due to my complaints about switching the cards out etc. I've not had this level of dilemma with any prior system (Xbox 360, PS3, and Xbox One I just did a little of both, when a good deal was online why not, when a good deal was to be had on game discs, went for that). Switch makes it extra difficult. If they'd just offer a good discount from the get-go on digital, it'd be an easier call (and I would probably still pick up some physically, if the art was cool enough etc). But then I'd at least know what my preferred method was, which right now I just simply don't.

• Like 1

All digital here, no regrets. The eshop has a lot of sales and I only pay full price when I want something at launch. Impulse buys are fine with me because it's a toy, not an investment. Trade-in value isn't something I care about.

I'm the same on mobile (obviously), Xbox, and PlayStation, though I buy/play a lot less on the TV consoles. There's such a ridiculous bounty of good stuff I can't be bothered to hoard the physical games anymore. Same with books and films for the most part. It makes browsing physical retail less interesting because it's less tempting -- kind of how you feel about digital purchases.

The last time I was in the transition was with Vita, prior to PSplus and where storage was stupid expensive. I have a bunch of physical cards for that which I never touch.

Do what you like, like what you do.

• Like 1

I'm not a Switch owner, but one good reason I'll stick with physical when I make the jump is price/capacity issues with SD cards. To get a large amount of capacity, they don't come cheap. And even then it's a fraction of what the same amount would buy in HDD capacity.

By reserving my SD card for digital exclusives and patches (And mostly buying multiplatform exclusives elsewhere on more powerful systems), hopefully something economical like a 64 gig card would offer enough space for me when all is said and done.

• Like 1

200GB microSD is $37 right now. I don't think this is a special price, but if it is, I've seen flash media this low lots of times before. 400GB is $78 which hurts a bit more, but I'm sure that will come down soon too.

SanDisk Ultra 200GB microSDXC UHS-I card with Adapter - 100MB/s U1 A1 - SDSQUAR-200G-GN6MA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073JY5T7T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_lr-CCbK3AJ90N

It will be fun to look back on this post when we have 2TB microSD at that price. You paid how much??? :lolblue:

I know the euro version of FFX will have a download for X2, but I thought I saw someplace that they'd have a 2-card version for Japan? Or maybe that was just someone's wishful thinking.

• Like 1

yeah- i hadn't heard anything except rumors yet for the physical versions.

I like where prices are going for the SD cards. I think that if large-capacity ones became an attractive enough from a price perspective for me, maybe that'd color slightly my view of digital vs physical on my Switch. ;)