IGNORED

System changer

This might be common knowledge to you veterans here so here's my question. I was curious about the system changer. Is there any advantage to purchasing the system changer (they don't seem to come available all too often from what I can tell) over just getting an Atari console? I have no Atari games since I'm an INTV guy. But, I wouldn't be averse to getting some down the road. I'm just curious if one makes sense over the other.

Also, I'm assuming the answer is "yes" but does the system changer handle Atari homebrew games just like it would any other Atari cart?

Last question... from the little that I've read, the system changer seems to be made more for the INTVII and the INTVI requires some system modification in order to work with the system changer. Is that accurate or will it work with an unmodified INTVI?

Thanks in advance for any info!

I haven't tried a Homebrew on the system changer but the Harmony Cart works great!

So if you have an Atari Rom Collection it works well. The only advantage over a 2600 is not having another system hooked up. You have an Ultimate Flashback so you are in good shape already.

For a collector for me it is a must have for me. CIB of course.

What you've read about compatibility is correct. You can read about it here as well as the instructions to modify an Intellivision for compatibility.

http://www.intellivisionlives.com/bluesky/hardware/changer_tech.html

You might think that the option to use Intellivision controllers is a plus over an Atari VCS. However the controller translation software is so poor it's better to just use Atari comoatible joysticks plugged into the System Changer. It's also wear and tear on your Intellivision when you're not even using it.

I have a Harmony cart and System Changer. There are some 2600 games worth playing. :) one wrinkle with it is that you cannot have an RGB-modded Intellivision with the System Changer because of the way the video circuitry is used, so if your Inty is hooked to a modern TV be aware of that. HTH. Enjoy!

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the feedback, guys! Sounds like there are 2 camps... 1) the folks that are hardcore collectors, in which case, this is a must-have, of course. And, 2) guys like me that probably won't go about collecting everything but still want to maximize game collection opportunities. Sounds like the right choice for me is probably either to buy a 2600 console or look to Byte Knight for an Ultimate Atari Flashback unit. I'd probably opt for the latter in the spirit of saving financially as well as saving space in my very-limited man-room (because it's nowhere near large enough to qualify as a man-cave!). Thanks!

Steve reminded me (and I see now that BBWW was trying to as well but it wasn't sinking in) that I could use my existing Inty Ultimate Flashback for Atari ROMs as well, with a little modification that shoudn't be too difficult. It seems likely that this is the route I'll go. Thanks again!

Steve reminded me (and I see now that BBWW was trying to as well but it wasn't sinking in) that I could use my existing Inty Ultimate Flashback for Atari ROMs as well, with a little modification that shoudn't be too difficult. It seems likely that this is the route I'll go. Thanks again!

Your ultimate flashback is a multipurpose raspberry pi computer. It has USB ports thay will take keyboards, mice, and any USB game controller that can be used with the intellivision emulator and any other video games you put in there. The Intellivision controllers are also system game controllers that can be used with any other video games in there. Most likely the Atari 2600 emulator is already installed and just waiting for game roms to activate it. Edited by mr_me

Your ultimate flashback is a multipurpose raspberry pi computer. It has USB ports thay will take keyboards, mice, and any USB game controller that can be used with the intellivision emulator and any other video games you put in there. The Intellivision controllers are also system game controllers that can be used with any other video games in there. Most likely the Atari 2600 emulator is already installed and just waiting for game roms to activate it.

Yes... I completely knew this and totally just forgot about that fact. I've tinkered with another Raspberry Pi unit previously for emulating some of the "newer" systems. Why I totally forgot about this I have no idea! Thanks!

Well, it's the only *PROPER* way to play M-Network games, of course. :-D (And the Tron games with the M-Network Tron controller, if you can find one.)

Nice call! This is exactly what I want to do if I ever finish the 125. Right down to the Tron joysticks. Finding all the M Network games is easy enough except for Star Strike and I already have the System Changer.

The full boxed Tron joystick set has been on my wish list for a long time. There's a picture here. I've got one loose, but it's just not the same.

Agreed, though a boxed set is pretty pricey. For me a full set of boxed M Network games with 2 Tron joysticks is a natural extension to a complete 125 assuming one has the System Changer.

Nice call! This is exactly what I want to do if I ever finish the 125. Right down to the Tron joysticks. Finding all the M Network games is easy enough except for Star Strike and I already have the System Changer.

You probably already know this, but there are Mattel and Intellivision Inc variants of many of these. I have most of the titles boxed (loose Star Strike), but I have no idea which variants I have (or which I'm missing). Actually, I don't think I have the box/manual for Deadly Discs either. Time to take inventory...

• Like 1

...and you've already packaged up and shipped one of your extras to me for my Big Birthday coming up? Aww, cmart, you shouldn't have! :D

Haha! Sadly I have only one boxed one. I do have a couple loose controllers though.

You probably already know this, but there are Mattel and Intellivision Inc variants of many of these. I have most of the titles boxed (loose Star Strike), but I have no idea which variants I have (or which I'm missing). Actually, I don't think I have the box/manual for Deadly Discs either. Time to take inventory...

Are we talking about these:

post-42281-0-61106400-1530934642_thumb.jpg

The ones shown are the original release of each one. I've also seen them released by "Telegames USA". Here's an example:

post-42281-0-77636100-1530934646_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 years later...